Point Imperial with Repost

Posted by Cindy Marple on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:08 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
Grand Canyon, Arizona
Repost with the crop, extra sharpening, and dodging the lower portion slightly. Thank you all for the inputs, I like this much better.
I ended up doing a manual blend of 2 exposures using layers, one for just the sky and the other foreground. I tried several different approaches with Photomatix and HDR merge but in the end I thought this was the most natural result. I think it still needs more work in the bottom as there is more detail in that area in the original (lighter) even though that area is only the lighter image (no blend). I'd be interested in comments of other things to try in the post processing.
Canon 1Dmk2N, 24-105 at 50mm, iso100, f/9
Cindy Marple
www.cindymarplephoto.com

Last edited by Cindy Marple on Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
Cindy Marple
Member #:00038

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:22 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Looks very natural and an exceptional shot. I really do need to get to the North Rim.

One thing you could try, on the full size frame do a USM with settings of about 30, 50, 0 and vary the radius and amount to taste. It's definitely great as is but that might give it more pop. It's a contrast technique using large radius sharpening that sometimes gives punch to photos shot in haze.

by steve mackay on Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:17 am
steve mackay
Forum Contributor
it's a beautiful scene and a brilliant shot!
[url=http://www2.clikpic.com/mackay123/index.html][color=#000000]Steve Mackay Photography[/color][/url]

by Rocky Sharwell on Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:08 pm
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
I really like the layers in the top half of the image. I think the image is fine as is but could be improved as you said by lightening the bottom a bit. Unfortunately, I don't have a clue as to the best method.
Rocky Sharwell

by Martin 095 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:16 am
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Member #:01126
Cindy,

This is great - I love all the layers! I think a slight increase in the brightness of the FG would really make this pop. I personally haven't tried EJ's suggestion but have seen the results from others and when done properly the effect can be very impressive.

I never tire of seeing canyon images.
Best wishes,

Martin
"[i]If there is a sin against life, it consists, perhaps not so much in despairing of life, as hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life[/i]." - Albert Camus

by Jerry_Jelinek on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:03 pm
Jerry_Jelinek
Forum Contributor
Cindy, Nice shot. Love the layers. I like the brightening idea. ALso I would crop the top little bit of clouds. It takes my eye to the top left and distracts from the real layers. Just a slight crop removes that distraction. Great shot, wish I was right there to shoot that scene with you.
--------------
Jerry Jelinek

http://jerryjelinek.smugmug.com/
Follow my photography efforts on my blog: http://jerryjelinekphotography.blogspot.com/

6 posts |