Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by ebkw on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:44 am
ebkw
Forum Contributor
My old Epson Perfection 1650 does not work with Windows 7 64 bit. The only drivers available are for 32 bit.

I need it for documents and sometimes scan things like feathers etc.

Is the flatbed still the way to go? I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive one. What are others using these days?
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

by signgrap on Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:33 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
If the scanner still works well you can probably get a 64 bit Win 7 driver if you use VueScan software. VueScan has drivers for most Epson scanners. As a matter of fact when I looked up a 64 bit driver for my old Perfection 1200, Espon pointed me to VueScan as a way to get the driver since they aren't making 64 bit driver for old scanners (decided to upgrade my scanner instead).
I was looking at this VueScan software for my Nikon 5000 slide scanner for exactly the same reason i.e. lack of a 64 bit driver in Win 7. But I was able to use a workaround and still use NikonScan software. I downloaded a trial and it worked well although I did perfer the way NikonScan did somethings. If the NikonScan workaround hadn't worked I would have used VueScan as it did a good job. You can download a free trial and see how you like it.
http://www.hamrick.com/
Dick Ludwig

by Larsen on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:43 pm
Larsen
Forum Contributor
I have the very same scanner - love it - it's served me well for a number of years. I don't use vuescan because I haven't needed it yet (still using XP), but for $39 (the 1650 is on the compatability list) I'd get vuescan.
_

by ebkw on Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:35 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
Thanks, Dick and Larsen!

I'll go for the VueScan.
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

by Colin Inman on Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:21 am
Colin Inman
Regional Moderator
Member #:00333
Another vote for Vuescan - I had the same issues with a Minolta slide scanner.

For flatbed scanning I use the built in scanner on my 'everyday/cheapie' epson printer, which is fine for general document scanning.
Colin

5 posts |