All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 47 posts | 
by TSparger on Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:48 pm
TSparger
Regional Moderator
Member #:00095
I have been shooting birds in my backyard for the past few years and have read about people setting up drips at their perches. I was hoping someone could tell me how this is done.
Todd Sparger
[b]NSN 0095[/b]
Southeastern Region Moderator

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:20 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Hey Todd

Here's a link to some info presented by Arthur Morris:

http://www.birdsasart.com/bn210.htm

Scroll down to the Samburu Water Drip for details. I haven't used this trechnique myself, as I have a pumped creek in my yard. However, I do plan to use this water drip when I can afford to travel to some drier places in the future :)

by ebkw on Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:01 am
ebkw
Forum Contributor
http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/view ... ight=water

Here is an essay that I did a couple of years ago. All the pictures have been deleted at this point but it might help. I could send you a shot of it if you wish?

Eleanor
Eleanor Kee Wellman, eleanorkeewellman.com, Blog at: keewellman.wordpress.com

by photoman4343 on Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:11 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
This link will give you some more info on bird drips: http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/view ... bird+drips

Joe Smith
Joe Smith

by CHudnall on Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:54 pm
CHudnall
Lifetime Member
Member #:00784
ebkw wrote:http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/view ... ight=water

Here is an essay that I did a couple of years ago. All the pictures have been deleted at this point but it might help. I could send you a shot of it if you wish?

Eleanor
Eleanor,

I would love to see your images and how you have yours set up. :D

I am still trying to get my yard set up the way I want and need it for photography, yet not get in too much trouble with owner's association. Luckily, my immediate surrounding neighbors are pretty cool and find me amusing when I go out back to take care of 'the animals'.

Eventually, I want a big pond - not too deep, but large enough that the cranes, herons, egrets, etc. all come back. In my yard, I know they are semi-safe, in the lake-bed behind us (in the woods), kids go out there and wreck havoc. :x

Thanks!
Christine Hudnall
NSN 0784
---------------------
http://www.christinehudnall.com

by jnadler on Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:57 am
jnadler
Forum Contributor
I used a commercial bird drip on my ground bird bath for the first time this spring. While it's primary benefit is to make the still water of a bird bath more noitcable and attractive to birds overall, my goal was for it to attract more spring migrants (warblers, thrushes, vireos) passing by for a rest. In my large suburban yard in northeeastern NY, it did not accomplish this. As I normally do, I had few spring migrants around. The bird drip mainly got the attention of chickadees, house finches, and mourning doves.

Since fall migrants feed on berries and fruit and not just insects, I tend to get more warblers stopping by in fall. i will retry the drip then and see if it grounds any more warblers than I usually get.

by Alan Murphy on Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:45 am
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Here's a few images of different drip set-ups that I have done.
The images below shows a dual flash set-up done for a shady area.
A small pond liner was placed in a hole in the ground and covered with dirt.
You can see a hose hanging from a tree with dripping water, and a branch placed over the pond for the birds to make their way down.
This next image below shows a set-up that you can do in an area that you don't have access to running water.
This is a 5 gallon jug with a spiket (found at any camping store)
It can be hung from a branch, or a backdrop frame (as you see here)
I just scraped some soil away and layed down a piece of pond liner.
I did not cover the liner up. The birds still come down.
You can also see two small tripods, where I have branches (perches) attached to the handles. The perches are placed over the water.
These set-ups work best when placed near cover/trees.
This next image (below) shows a simple set up where I raised the pond off the ground, using a piece of plywood and a bucket.
This gives some great out-of-focus backgrounds.
For this set-up, you can see a small black hose, which is attached to a larger garden hose.
The small diameter hose gives a great drip and does not need to be suspended above the water very much.
You can also see an assortment of perches placed around the pond.
If you look carefully, you can see a perch with Pine cones coming out of the left tripod. I'm also including an image of an Orchard Oriole on that very perch to show you the result.
Here's the image of the Oriole on the Pine cones with the green out-of-focus background.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Matthew Studebaker on Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:43 am
Matthew Studebaker
Forum Contributor
Member #:00957
Alan - thanks so much for showing us. I've thought of raising my drip pool too because some birds want to land right next to it rather than on a perch 6 feet away. If the pond is on the ground and they insist on landing 12 inches away the background is going to be bad. To get those birds with nice backgrounds it seems raising the pond would be the answer (a useful solution in the sagebrush areas of Deschutes National Forest, OR perhaps).

The readers will note that the birds will nearly always face the water, so plan your perches accordingly. A perch directly behind the pool will yeild photos with birds facing the photographer directly most of the time, while profile shots are obtained by placing branches on either side of the pool.
Matthew Studebaker
website  | flickr blog | facebook

by CHudnall on Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:25 am
CHudnall
Lifetime Member
OMG, thank you Alan!! This is what I've been looking for and missed when I had to leave St. Augustine before taking your class.

I knew what all I needed, but wasn't sure 'how' to bring everything together. These are awesome in the help department. :)

I do have a question though.... I've heard you mention before about using tripods for holding up perches, etc., and I see it in the images, but how? What do you have on the tripod to hold the perch?

*edited - Oops, going back and rereading it I see that you are using the handles. Cool!*

Great idea about the backdrop stand for holding water bottle.

Thanks... and thanks Matthew for tip about placing perches. :D
Christine Hudnall
NSN 0784
---------------------

by Justin C on Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:56 am
Justin C
Forum Contributor
Another good way I've found for supporting perches is to get a length of 4" X 2" and drill a good selection of holes, the hole diameter can be varied to suit different perch thickness's, the holes can also be drilled parallel, angled-up, angled-down so the perch can always be held in virtually any position.
Either dig the perch support into the ground for a semi-permanant support or make a wooden stand to enable it to be moved nearer or further.

PS. Great set-up Alan. Thanks for sharing your method 8)
Justin

by Alan Murphy on Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:18 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
I do have a question though.... I've heard you mention before about using tripods for holding up perches, etc., and I see it in the images, but how? What do you have on the tripod to hold the perch?
Here are some images of the tripods I use. Make sure it has a hole down the handle so you can stick the perch down in it. This way, you can raise to the desired height, set the angle, and even twist the handle to see both sides of the perch. You can get these for under $20 at Walmart or target.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Josh Gahagan on Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:10 pm
Josh Gahagan
Forum Contributor
Thanks for sharing your info, Alan. I am going to try setting my bird bath under a tree, and hang the hose from a branch pictured somewhat like in your first image.

by CHudnall on Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:20 pm
CHudnall
Lifetime Member
Alan Murphy wrote:
Here are some images of the tripods I use. Make sure it has a hole down the handle so you can stick the perch down in it. This way, you can raise to the desired height, set the angle, and even twist the handle to see both sides of the perch. You can get these for under $20 at Walmart or target.

*deleted images for reply*
Thank you Alan!! That is a big help. :D

I just started a very small drip, haven't got pond liner yet, but had some contractor garbage bags, took one, cut it and now have 8 small liners. :) I have to set up some branch perches, in the meantime though, I have my child-sized twig bench out there. This is just a test run... still have to figure out where exactly to place it better. For best background, it is in great spot. But, for safety of birds (had hawk swoop by twice while out there), it needs to be closer to cover. So, I've got some planning and rearranging to do. In time though, I will get everything meshing right.

Can't wait!! :D

- And and thank you to you also Justin! :) -
Christine Hudnall
NSN 0784
---------------------

by ebkw on Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:59 pm
ebkw
Forum Contributor
After seeing Alan's I really don't need to post mine :)

Also, how would I post an image in these discussion forums?

by Alan Melle on Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:03 pm
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
ebkw wrote:After seeing Alan's I really don't need to post mine :)

Also, how would I post an image in these discussion forums?
Click on the Post Reply button at the bottom of the thread. It allows you to post images just like for a new topic.
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by ebkw on Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:24 am
ebkw
Forum Contributor
This is the shot that goes with the essay that shows my mini water "feature".

I started out with a pump and fountain but changed over to this fitting from an irrigation system attached to a hose. It works to attract birds much better than the fountain did. It is supposed to spray but by fiddling with the water pressure you can get it to drip!

I use the rock area for shots of birds bathing as I am not interested in just getting shots of birds on perches.

I should add that I photograph right through my basement window with this set-up

by CHudnall on Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:53 pm
CHudnall
Lifetime Member
Thanks Eleanor!

More options and possibilities to think about as I bring everything together. Yeah. :)
Christine Hudnall
NSN 0784
---------------------

by Jon Swanson on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:30 am
Jon Swanson
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the ideas here. I'm going to try a hybrid of these examples on my trip to AZ next month.

by ebkw on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:41 am
ebkw
Forum Contributor
Jon,

Please take pictures of your set-up and post them when you return!

by photoman4343 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:04 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Another perch holder is pvc pipe with a stake screwed into its side that you can stick into the ground. I have a couple of these with pvc in different dimensions for twigs of different sizes. Alan's tripod perch holder is a great one in that it affords more placement opportunities. Joe Smith
Joe Smith

47 posts |