All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:59 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
According to Sigma, AF speed is improved by 20-40% on the 150-600 Sport and Contemporary lenses.  Update is done via the Sigma Dock and the Dock firmware also needs to be updated.  Do note, since this messes with the AF algorithms, it is possible that this could mess up a previously done Sigma Dock calibration.  I don't know that to be true but it is a possibility when AF behavior is changed.

To start the process, plug your Sigma Dock into a USB port and run the Optimization Pro software.  If you do not have the latest version of the software, here it is:
http://www.sigma-global.com/download/en/

by Mark Picard on Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:56 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:According to Sigma, AF speed is improved by 20-40% on the 150-600 Sport and Contemporary lenses.  Update is done via the Sigma Dock and the Dock firmware also needs to be updated.  Do note, since this messes with the AF algorithms, it is possible that this could mess up a previously done Sigma Dock calibration.  I don't know that to be true but it is a possibility when AF behavior is changed.

To start the process, plug your Sigma Dock into a USB port and run the Optimization Pro software.  If you do not have the latest version of the software, here it is:
http://www.sigma-global.com/download/en/
Maybe wait a couple weeks before updating to make sure the updating doesn't change the AF Fine Tune? As you know better than anyone, I really don't want to invest that time again! Plus, in my case, I'll have to do both my "S" and her "C". But if it doesn't change the AF it's a no- brainer - if it does I'll have to think about whether or not it's worth the additional speed increase. Thanks for the heads up E.J. as usual. :)
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by NNL33543 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:34 pm
NNL33543
Forum Contributor
It threw all my lens calibration out. Had to recalibrate all sixteen points. Strange, as almost everyone else is reporting no problem with their calibration after updating the firmware.

Tony

by Mark Picard on Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:26 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
NNL33543 wrote:It threw all my lens calibration out. Had to recalibrate all sixteen points. Strange, as almost everyone else is reporting no problem with their calibration after updating the firmware.

Tony

Thanks for that Tony, although not what I was hoping to hear! Do you feel it was worth the upgrade in focus speed?
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by NNL33543 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:41 pm
NNL33543
Forum Contributor
 I haven't had a chance to shoot anything moving yet. On stationary stuff hard to tell. I was very happy with the previous upgrade. 70 - 80% in focus rate.Seemed to be pretty close to my 600 F4 on the D4 and D 810. I guess i got a bit greedy and wanted more. Have to wait until weekend to shoot flying bird.

Tony

by biologist on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:34 am
biologist
Forum Contributor
I was waiting for someone to do the upgrade as I had E.J. do the lens calibration for me several months ago and this lens is way better when calibrated IMHO.

I think I will wait and see what others say about the new firmware before I upgrade and then have to have it recalibrated.
Eric the Desert Rat...
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.pbase.com/desertrat99

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:57 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
archfotos wrote:I realize this is a speculative question, is there any indication that Sigma might release either of these lenses in an E-mount? Or would that require them to release a whole new version for all the different mounts? I never know how corporations work/think.

thanks for any insights
Any answer to that question would be pure speculation.  It isn't yet at all clear that Sony's OSPDAF works reliably on anything longer than 300mm.

by NNL33543 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:05 pm
NNL33543
Forum Contributor
NNL33543 wrote: I haven't had a chance to shoot anything moving yet. On stationary stuff hard to tell. I was very happy with the previous upgrade. 70 - 80% in focus rate.Seemed to be pretty close to my 600 F4 on the D4 and D 810. I guess i got a bit greedy and wanted more. Have to wait until weekend to shoot flying bird.

Tony
Out shooting today with the Sigma 150-600 sport.Not too happy. Definitely the lens has changed. I didn't think it acquired focus as fast or held focus as long as before.Stationary stuff remained great. Lots of near focus. It was somewhat overcast. Checked the sigma website. Seems as if the emphasis of this upgrade was about the teleconverters and as EJ had warned that it would change focus settings. I had refused to upgrade the firmware for the lens tele combo, but did so today. And Immediately noticed that the focusing with the teleconverter was much faster, and even faster when I switched to C1 which has the faster less precise focus setup. Guess I will have to play with it some more. A little happy that the 1.4 TC 1401 converter works better but don't care that much for it. Miss my previous settings. 

by david fletcher on Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:45 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
NNL33543 wrote:
NNL33543 wrote: I haven't had a chance to shoot anything moving yet. On stationary stuff hard to tell. I was very happy with the previous upgrade. 70 - 80% in focus rate.Seemed to be pretty close to my 600 F4 on the D4 and D 810. I guess i got a bit greedy and wanted more. Have to wait until weekend to shoot flying bird.

Tony
Out shooting today with the Sigma 150-600 sport.Not too happy. Definitely the lens has changed. I didn't think it acquired focus as fast or held focus as long as before.Stationary stuff remained great. Lots of near focus. It was somewhat overcast. Checked the sigma website. Seems as if the emphasis of this upgrade was about the teleconverters and as EJ had warned that it would change focus settings. I had refused to upgrade the firmware for the lens tele combo, but did so today. And Immediately noticed that the focusing with the teleconverter was much faster, and even faster when I switched to C1 which has the faster less precise focus setup. Guess I will have to play with it some more. A little happy that the 1.4 TC 1401 converter works better but don't care that much for it. Miss my previous settings. 
looks like an update I'll skip then.  thanks for that info.  
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by biologist on Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:02 pm
biologist
Forum Contributor
NNL33543 wrote:

Tony
Hi Tony,  Not sure where you are getting this info that checking the Sigma site says the update is geared toward use with the TC?  I have looked on the site and even directly contacted Sigma Tech support and they said it should not affect the calibration setting, and the firmware is geared toward the lens focus speed.  Nothing was mentioned regarding the TC use.  
Eric the Desert Rat...
Los Angeles, CA

by NNL33543 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:57 pm
NNL33543
Forum Contributor
You are right, I got my information from the Sigma-Global.com website accessed from update info on the Sigma dock update information. The Nikon update is version1.03 and the Canon is 1.04. On my second trip I looked at the Canon 1.03 update thinking it was the Nikon 1.03 which said Update was for the teleconverter, and that it did affect calibration.
My information was incorrect.

Tony

by biologist on Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:01 pm
biologist
Forum Contributor
Tony, looks like I will get to try out the new firmware afterall. My Sigma lens was stolen about 10 days ago and I am replacing it with a new one and having EJ do the calibration on the lens and fine tune it to the cameras, He is going to do the firmware update beforehand.
Eric the Desert Rat...
Los Angeles, CA

by NNL33543 on Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:23 am
NNL33543
Forum Contributor
biologist wrote:Tony, looks like I will get to try out the new firmware afterall.  My Sigma lens was stolen about 10 days ago and I am replacing it with a new one and having EJ do the calibration on the lens and fine tune it to the cameras,  He is going to do the firmware update beforehand.
Sorry to hear about your loss. Happy to hear you are getting a new one. I really like mine. I am still working on calibrating mine. Getting there, but the readings are quite different. Don't use the Nikon 600 AFS as much anymore, I found the Sigma to be a notch or 2 less sharp, but much more versatile, and I am happy with the contrast.
What I learnt from Dpreview. Buy a 105mm lens cap from Amazon, works better than the cloth hood cover. The Sigma foot is expensive but works great, try looking at the open box/used at the Sigma website. I have seen one there for $175.00. Do not over tighten the screw on the lens hood it breaks easily, it is quite similar to the lens hood screw from the Nikon 500 AFS, which also breaks often and was expensive to replace. Amazon has a screw in metal lens hood for about $20, great for a spare.
I have not seen anyone else reporting problems with their firmware, so it must be me.

13 posts |