All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by JGlannman on Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:39 pm
JGlannman
Forum Contributor
Hi there..

Because my change from small old primes to big modern zoom I have to change my filter system.

I have tried and search all of internet but found very little information about if this works. 

For my 24-70 with 82mm filter thread:

I would like to use a Screw in polarizer and the Lee filter system. 

Why ? 

When I photograph in the forest, while trekking, traveling etc I want to be able to have a polarizer on all the time and that is why I want a screw in filter. I think the pol is great for almost all photographic situations and if it is a screw in that means it sits secure and does not make the lens bigger and is fast and nice to use.

But sometimes when photographing bigger and more open landscapes that include a sky and/or water I want to be able to use one ND and one GND also.

So I am thinking about getting a slim screw in filter and the Lee wide adapter ring and then it should not make any vinjetting is that right ?

Or, can I even use a standard thickness screw in filter that is cheaper ?

If anyone knows I am happy.

Warm regards Johannes
After what, 5 years ? I am back :-D

by Neilyb on Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:35 pm
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
If I get chance in the next day or so I will do a test shot with my Tamron, Leed holder and CPL so you can see vignetting... if there is any.

by goldingd on Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:53 pm
goldingd
Forum Contributor
Your possible solution has a few issues.

1. When you go to rotate your CPL filter, with the Lee system attached, the Lee Holder moves, and whatever Lee filters are installed (if any) will likely be in a poor position.

2. How good is the thread on the inside rim of the CPL? Will the Lee adapter rings screw on correctly?

3. You are possibly adding space in front of the lens and the first position for filters on the Lee adapter. At the 24mm end you might start seeing some issues in the corners

Now, it is not nice of me to be a wet rag without a possible solution. Mind you the solution cost money, more money than using a standard CPL.

4. Lee sells CPL filters for the Lee system. These are very large CPL filters that attach to the Lee adapter. One that I have used is the 105mm Rotating Polariser. Oh, and they offer a "Landscape" version that is a bit thinner and includes some warmth. Note that these filters will require a 105mm accessory ring. So a big filter plus a special ring equals big cost.

5. Lee also sells square CPL filters, but those can be a bit harder to work with.

Having said that, apparently you have the Lee system, a lens, and a standard CPL is useful in situations where you do not want to attach the Lee on, so you could go and experiment. But make sure to experiment on the wide angel end of that lens.

by JGlannman on Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:53 pm
JGlannman
Forum Contributor
Oh wow that would be rally nice..

Many thanks.

Regards Johannes

by Neilyb on Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:12 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Having re-read I see what you want to do. I use the Lee system with a 105mm CPL at the front. A slim CPL normally has nothread, a Normal CPL plus filter holder will vignette, as it is further from the lens than withoutthe CPL.... which is why the Lee system needs a 105mm as the last piece.

I cannot test your way of thinking as I have no 82mm CPL.

by JGlannman on Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:52 am
JGlannman
Forum Contributor
Thank you for your answers.

I know that Lee have a big CPL for the front, but then I need to buy both the big CPL from Lee to use when I want to use nd and and and a standard screw in CPL for when I don't need nd and gnd. Some extra weight and space and A LOT of extra money.

That is why I wanted to use a standard CPL + Lee system. B+W make slim cpl with threads.

Cheers / Johannes

by JGlannman on Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:01 pm
JGlannman
Forum Contributor
If I am to go with the full Lee system is this what I need then or am I missing something ?

Lee Filters Landscape Polariser 105mm

LEE Filters 105mm Front Ring

Lee Little Stopper 6 Stop Long Exposure Filter

LEE Resin ND Grad Filter - ND 0.6 (Soft Edge)

LEE Filters 3 Filter Pouch (150x100mm filters)

LEE Filters Filter Wrap

Lee Filters Foundation Holder Kit + Lee Wide Adapter Ring
· Thread Size - 82mm

LEE Filters Holder Adaptor Ring - Standard
· Thread Size - 67mm

Warm regards Johannes

by Neilyb on Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:05 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
The Lee 105mm CPL is rather expensive. Otherwise you have it all covered.

A quick look shows some alternates:

http://www.amazon.de/Formatt-Hitech-FC1 ... ords=105mm

http://www.amazon.de/Haida-Digital-Polf ... ords=105mm

I am using a Heliopan which I have had a long time and am quite happy with it, if I use it. Usually for water but rarely I will use it with a blue sky.

by Brian K. on Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:35 pm
Brian K.
Lifetime Member
Member #:00115
I decided to use the Lee Z-Pro filter holder with the Singh Ray thin 105mm Polarizer. I really like the setup.

http://www.singh-ray.com/shop/lighter-b ... polarizer/
[b]Brian D. Kennedy[/b]
[b]NSN 0115[/b]
http://www.bdkennedy.com

9 posts |