« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 28 posts | 
by jnadler on Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:13 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
think Yellowstone 6 mile hikes. Think having a Canon 100-400 plus a couple wide angles lens, Mirrorless camera. But equally as important, rain gear, down jacket, food, water bottles, etc. Most photo packs lack storage for hiking clothing, water bottle side pockets, etc. I am leaning more toward a front loading outdoor gear manufacturer product and using inserts instead. Just not sure. 

Suggestion from those who know that outdoor clothing and gear needs equal storage to photo equipment on longer hikes? Thanks.

by Connor Stefanison on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:15 am
Connor Stefanison
NANPA Scholar
This one loads from the back. I use it for winter snowshoe photography. It has been pretty good so far and comes with a lifetime warranty.

Dakine Poacher
http://ca.dakine.com/p/backpacks-and-ge ... er-45l-16w

by Andy Trowbridge on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:31 am
Andy Trowbridge
Forum Contributor
The most comfortably packs have ever usedare the Aarn range of packs and balance pockets - you can read about them here http://www.aarnpacks.com

For day trips I use the Natural Exhilaration Pack with either the Photo Regular or Photo Pro balance pockets depending on how much photo gear I'm carrying.
All comments & suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

Andy Trowbridge http://www.andytrowbridge.com 
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/AndyTrowbridgePhotography

by johan on Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:34 am
johan
Forum Contributor
Have you considered the F-stop backpacks. They are photo backpacks with internal units for photo gear as well as room for hiking stuff. I own one and can attest to the superb build quality and quality. There are a wide range of sizes to accommodate just about any situation.

by Ethan Meleg on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:23 pm
Ethan Meleg
Forum Contributor
F-Stop packs are designed exactly for what you describe Jeff. I have two and love them!
Ethan Meleg
web: [url]http://www.ethanmeleg.com[/url]

by Lyle Gruby on Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:29 pm
Lyle Gruby
Forum Contributor
I use an Osprey daypack and then pad the camera/lens with clothing. I like the Osprey hiking backpacks better than camera backpacks because the frame makes it so much more comfortable to use; however, I don't carry that much gear.
LyleGruby.smugmug.com

by johan on Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:22 pm
johan
Forum Contributor
....that should have read, "can attest to the superb build quality and comfort" I see that Ethan likes them too...F-Stop bags really are great! (No, I have no vested interest in the company)

by jnadler on Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:50 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
Ethan Meleg wrote:F-Stop packs are designed exactly for what you describe Jeff. I have two and love them!
hmmm. The F-stops do seem insanely priced.  

by chez on Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:51 am
chez
Forum Contributor
The F-stop bags are also heavier than hiking packs and their support system is not as comfortable as hiking packs. I've used F-stop for a couple years and have since changed to an Osprey pack and the comfort difference is substantial.
Harry Ogloff

by Tim Grams on Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:42 pm
Tim Grams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00164
I'm a huge fan of Osprey packs too. They are real back packs, not a photo gear organizer with lousy shoulder straps and a mediocre hip belt. I use a Stratos 26 for day hikes when I have just a couple of lens such as a 100-400 and a 24-70. Its easy to strap a tripod onto it too. When I'm carrying my 600/4 is in an Atmos 65. They are well made pack and the worth the money.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/b ... ratos_26_1
Tim
http://timgramsphotography.com

by jnadler on Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:20 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
Tim Grams wrote:I'm a huge fan of Osprey packs too. They are real back packs, not a photo gear organizer with lousy shoulder straps and a mediocre hip belt. I use a Stratos 26 for day hikes when I have just a couple of lens such as a 100-400 and a 24-70. Its easy to strap a tripod onto it too. When I'm carrying my 600/4 is in an Atmos 65. They are well made pack and the worth the money.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/b ... ratos_26_1

I was curious which Osprey pack. I assume front loading vs top loading more managable.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:39 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
These Osprey packs do look interesting. I am curious though as to how you configure the interior for photographic use and also how much gear you can get into something like the 26. And then how do you access the different components since these Stratos units all seem to be top loaders...

by jnadler on Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:16 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
Osprey does make panel loading daypacks than I will research. I feel that top loaders are not as practical for multiple lenses or bodies. My personal handling of the larger backpacks by photo pack companies like Lowepro (which I own) is that they are great for the car but far too heavy for me to want on the trail. Personal preference.

by Scott Baxter on Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:49 pm
Scott Baxter
Forum Contributor
I use the Marmot Backcountry 30 that is no longer made. It has a back panel that opens so I can just take off the shoulder straps and slide it around with the hip belt attached and open it like it is sitting on a shelf. The opening back panel is more common in some euro design packs. It can handle by 500mm just fine. ,http://www.backpacker.com/gear/backpack ... -backpack/ I also like the Osprey. I think camera bags in general are clunky, poorly designed for the person that carries them and scream steal me. I much prefer a good day hiker with a panel design.

by scorless on Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:26 pm
scorless
Forum Contributor
You might want to consider an Osprey that is back loading with an F-stop IC that will fit inside the pack. It kind of creates the best of both worlds.
Sandy Corless

by ChrisRoss on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:07 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Forget packs, get a belt system so you can access your gear without taking the pack off. Then for the survival stuff a standard daypack, all the weighty stuff is in the belt system. You can place water bottles in carriers on the belt system as well. Believe Lowe Pro still makes a water bottle holder and it will fit the steroid speed belt.

I use a think tank digital holster type 50 for my 300mm f4 with a 1D4 mounted and stored with the hood extended. The type 30 is what you'd use with a smaller body. Get pouches for your wide angles and mirrorless and mount them on a think tank belt, with a pixel racing harness, I'd suggest the steroid speed belt.. All the pouches etc have rain covers. The harness is pretty low profile so a daypack would go over the top just fine.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Tim Grams on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:16 am
Tim Grams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00164
I like top loading packs, far less chance that something expensive will tumble out if you leave a zipper undone. That being said, organizing things is more challenging. My lens are usually in a neoprene pouch. I almost always hike with a body and lens on a Black Rapids strap. In light rain or snow, I have covers for my usual lens body combos. If the weather is really lousy, the lens and body going into the pack. I always have a wind or rain jacket in the pack for additional padding. The extra lens or lens is/are usually toward the top. No matter how you load, access won't be as quick and easy as a back designed to carry photo gear. If I think I'll be swapping lens a lot, I put the lens in a coat pocket. I'm in Alaska so I usually have an outer layer on. Almost all of my outer layers have pockets to accommodate a short to medium telephoto lens. Big pockets are a shopping criteria when I buy clothes.

The Statos is just one big compartment. There is an inner sleeve for a hydration bladder. But quite frankly that holds my sitting/kneeling pad since dehydration is far less of an issue than sitting on frozen ground for me. The top pockets are pretty small- enough space for some snacks, spare batteries, CF card holder, head lamp, gloves and a hat. In hind sight I would probably buy the next bigger size pack, I think it is 34 or 36 liters.

The Statos and Atmos have really good support. You can comfortably carry more weight than what you see them rated for. I carry a 3 series tripod with 4 leg sections on the Statos without any problems. Plus the support has excellent ventilation, which is great on hot days. OK, a hot Alaska day won't stack up to a hot day in Arizona, but its all relative.
Tim
http://timgramsphotography.com

by jnadler on Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:22 am
jnadler
Forum Contributor
Tim Grams wrote:I like top loading packs, far less chance that something expensive will tumble out if you leave a zipper undone. That being said, organizing things is more challenging. My lens are usually in a neoprene pouch. I almost always hike with a body and lens on a  Black Rapids strap. In light rain or snow, I have covers for my usual lens body combos. If the weather is really lousy, the lens and body going into the pack. I always have a wind or rain jacket in the pack for additional padding. The extra lens or lens is/are usually toward the top. No matter how you load, access won't be as quick and easy as a back designed to carry photo gear.  If I think I'll be swapping lens a lot, I put the lens in a coat pocket. I'm in Alaska so I usually have an outer layer on. Almost all of my outer layers have pockets to accommodate a short to medium telephoto lens. Big pockets are a shopping criteria when I buy clothes.

The Statos is just one big compartment. There is an inner sleeve for a hydration bladder. But quite frankly that holds my sitting/kneeling pad since dehydration is far less of an issue than sitting on frozen ground for me. The top pockets are pretty small- enough space for some snacks, spare batteries, CF card holder, head lamp, gloves and a hat. In hind sight I would probably buy the next bigger size pack, I think it is 34 or 36 liters.  

The Statos and Atmos have really good support. You can comfortably carry more weight than what you see them rated for. I carry a 3 series tripod with 4 leg sections on the Statos without any problems. Plus the support has excellent ventilation, which is great on hot days. OK, a hot Alaska day won't stack up to a hot day in Arizona, but its all relative.
The Stratos 24,is a panel loader.   Excellent point. With my front loading camera packs in the car, I have frequently had everything tumble out from partially opened zippers. 

by RoyH on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:45 am
RoyH
Forum Contributor
Another option that hasn't been mentioned is the new packs by Mindshift Gear. Created by the founders of Think Tank, they are designing backpacks specifically for the photographer. I just got their Rotation 180 Pro and have only had a chance to do a short session with it, but so far it looks very promising. I also have gone through regular hiking backpacks (Osprey's and others), belt systems (Think Tank), and other bags and this pack so far is the best compromise I have found so far for hiking and carrying heavy photography equipment.

Roy
Roy H
[url]http://www.reflectivephoto.net[/url]

by jnadler on Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:23 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
RoyH wrote:Another option that hasn't been mentioned is the new packs by Mindshift Gear. Created by the founders of Think Tank, they are designing backpacks specifically for the photographer. I just got their Rotation 180 Pro and have only had a chance to do a short session with it, but so far it looks very promising. I also have gone through regular hiking backpacks (Osprey's and others), belt systems (Think Tank), and other bags and this pack so far is the best compromise I have found so far for hiking and carrying heavy photography equipment.

Roy
The product looks interesting. For me though, $250 to $300 for a daypack is the continued unacceptable extreme pricing by photo vs.outdoor pack makers.  

28 posts |