All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 71 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:14 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Now it's official.  This will be the thread we discuss the new 1DX2 in...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2291500142 ... igital-slr

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:15 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
DPReview's closer look:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/456927 ... -x-mark-ii

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:21 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
And a first look from B&H with a video and comparison table to the 1Dx
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/pho ... -x-mark-ii

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:26 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
My 2 cents, for the still photographer the changes are pretty underwhelming, a couple of extra FPS but do you really need it? A tweaked AF system on a camera that is already spectacular in that regard! Essentially no increase in pixel resolution, and a deeper buffer with a new type of CF card.  Certainly nothing I would shell out $6K for if I already had a 1Dx and used it for still photography only.

On the other hand if I wanted a highly capable action oriented body and have 4K capability then this becomes more compelling especially with the dual pixel AF in that mode.  But there are way cheaper ways to get 4K video even though the 1Dx2 capability in this regard seems to take 4K in DSLRs to the next level.  4:2:2 is great but 8 bit is underwhelming - it should have been 10 bit.

by PV Hiker on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:32 am
PV Hiker
Forum Contributor
Released on Canon USA web site press release 
Patrick

by ChrisRoss on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:54 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Hopefully they get a few sales and drive the price of second hand 1Dx's down, might be tempted to pick one up if the price is right, though of course my 1D4 is now devalued further.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Markus Jais on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:14 am
Markus Jais
Lifetime Member
Member #:01791
E.J. Peiker wrote:My 2 cents, for the still photographer the changes are pretty underwhelming, a couple of extra FPS but do you really need it? A tweaked AF system on a camera that is already spectacular in that regard! Essentially no increase in pixel resolution, and a deeper buffer with a new type of CF card.  Certainly nothing I would shell out $6K for if I already had a 1Dx and used it for still photography only.

On the other hand if I wanted a highly capable action oriented body and have 4K capability then this becomes more compelling especially with the dual pixel AF in that mode.  But there are way cheaper ways to get 4K video even though the 1Dx2 capability in this regard seems to take 4K in DSLRs to the next level.  4:2:2 is great but 8 bit is underwhelming - it should have been 10 bit.

I fully agree. Although it seems they improved almost everything I am very happy with my 1DX and it is very unlikely that I will upgrade. 

It will be interesting to see how high ISO will work on the 1DX II. The 1DX is already pretty awesome and if the 1DX II can do it even better then it will be great for wildlife action scenes. 
And I am looking forward to see how the dynamic range will be compared to the 1DX / 5D III. I use the 1DX for almost all my landscape shots and dynamic range is sometimes lacking a bit. If the 1DX II can do 2 stops better than this might be interesting but probably better to wait until a 5D IV or something like this comes out as the heavy weight of the 1DX is no fun in the mountains :-)

For people still on the 1D IV the 1DX II seems like a great upgrade.

by Neilyb on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:00 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
I do not do much video but would if I had the dual pixel focus option, the wife has a 70D and the speed of focus in live view surprised me. But I doubt I will shell out 6k for the privilege.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:15 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I think a 2 stop increase in dynamic range for the 1Dx2 is a pipe dream...  From those that have already had the camera in hand, they are saying more like 2/3 of a stop at best, possibly a tiny bit less.  Agreed that a 1D3 or 1D4 user would be compelled by a 1Dx2 as long as they are OK with losing the crop factor because cropping a 1Dx2 to APS-H dimensions leaves only 12 megapixels.

by Dan Wolin on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:24 am
Dan Wolin
Forum Contributor
I have a 1D1V and have used a 1DX on a few occasions and I really liked it.  I do want a full frame camera and wanted to see what the new 1DX was going to do - now that it is out, I agree with EJ that I while I am sure it is an amazing camera, the original 1DX would be perfectly fine for my purposes and much cheaper:).  I was really hoping for a dynamic range bump for landscapes and that may have tipped over the decision.  More than likely I will wait to see what the 5DmkIV does and then decide how to proceed.  A lighter full frame body would certainly not be a bad thing at all.  That combined with a crop body for birding and I would be happy.
Dan Wolin
Marshall, MI

by Darren Huski on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:39 am
Darren Huski
Forum Contributor
Seems way too big. My A7R plus adapter, plus three old lenses weigh less than just this body. Plus it gives me better image quality. Canon reminds me of GM when people started buying Toyota cars, they just don't get it.

by Coreyhkh on Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:13 am
Coreyhkh
Forum Contributor
According to this article "Canon’s new sensor has an important innovation. The A/D converter circuitry, which translates captured light values into digital data, has now been integrated with the sensor itself."

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2016/ ... view/#null
-------------------------------------
http://www.coreyhayes.net

by Primus on Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:42 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
Coreyhkh wrote:According to this article "Canon’s new sensor has an important innovation. The A/D converter circuitry, which translates captured light values into digital data, has now been integrated with the sensor itself."

Andy Rouse has a report on his site. Claims the sensor is brand new and offers great shadow recovery, increased DR etc. Some interesting shots at ISO 10,000 and 32,000. 

If this bears out, I can finally flip the bird at my Nikon-shooting buddy :-)

Pradeep

by Brian E. Small on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:02 am
Brian E. Small
Forum Contributor
Member #:00479
One thing I really like about this new camera is it's ability to use all 61 AF points at f/8................that's a major upgrade IMHO.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:38 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Coreyhkh wrote:According to this article "Canon’s new sensor has an important innovation. The A/D converter circuitry, which translates captured light values into digital data, has now been integrated with the sensor itself."

Realize that every other manufacturer of sensors has been doing this for the last 9 years.  It's not an innovation at all, it's catch up nearly a decade later on this one feature and it's one of two primary reasons why Canon has lagged in dynamic range performance.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:41 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Brian E. Small wrote:One thing I really like about this new camera is it's ability to use all 61 AF points at f/8................that's a major upgrade IMHO.
That is definitely a huge plus but is it worth $6K?  For some I'm sure it is but I think that would be a small minority of photographers that routinely use 2x converters on super tele lenses...

by Brian E. Small on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:03 pm
Brian E. Small
Forum Contributor
Member #:00479
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Brian E. Small wrote:One thing I really like about this new camera is it's ability to use all 61 AF points at f/8................that's a major upgrade IMHO.
That is definitely a huge plus but is it worth $6K?  For some I'm sure it is but I think that would be a small minority of photographers that routinely use 2x converters on super tele lenses...
Only the individual can judge what is worth $6K to them................everyone is different of course.  I just wanted to point out IMHO one thing that IS a big upgrade over the previous model.  :-)

by Andy Trowbridge on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:17 pm
Andy Trowbridge
Forum Contributor
Darren Huski wrote:Seems way too big. My A7R plus adapter, plus three old lenses weigh less than just this body. Plus it gives me better image quality.  Canon reminds me of GM when people started buying Toyota cars, they just don't get it.
Hardly an 'apples to apples' comparison. I'm guessing the 1DX II will have better AF ;). Have you seen the image quality of the 1DX II??? 
All comments & suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

Andy Trowbridge http://www.andytrowbridge.com 
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/AndyTrowbridgePhotography

by Primus on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:14 pm
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
Darren Huski wrote:Seems way too big. My A7R plus adapter, plus three old lenses weigh less than just this body. Plus it gives me better image quality.  Canon reminds me of GM when people started buying Toyota cars, they just don't get it.

Hmmmm..... Darren, I have both the 1DX and the A7RII plus the adapter and a variety of lenses. I really wish I did not have to lug the big Canon on my trips to Africa. But there is no way the Sony can compete with the big DSLR for wildlife on the move. Granted, I've not used my Canon gear in the past six months since I've only done landscapes and family/travel stuff, but come April I am off to Botswana and I am hoping I will have the new model by then. 

When its happening all around you or when you need anything over 200mm, nothing beats the big fellas. It is an unfortunate truth. 

Pradeep

by Neilyb on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:04 pm
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Primus wrote:

Andy Rouse has a report on his site. Claims the sensor is brand new and offers great shadow recovery, increased DR etc. Some interesting shots at ISO 10,000 and 32,000. 

If this bears out, I can finally flip the bird at my Nikon-shooting buddy :-)

Pradeep
He also tells us that shots taken at ISO32000 are as clean as ISO8000 shots on a 1Dx, I hope he was not shooting JPG.

71 posts |