« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
by JGlannman on Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:35 pm
JGlannman
Forum Contributor
Hello..

Bin a while since I was here but know I can always trust this forum :-) 

I currently have a Nikon D750 and I have bin shooting primes all my life almost except my 70-200 zoom. Now I have sold my old MF primes because I want to try zoom and be a bit modern with autofokus and stuff hehe.

I am shooting landscapes for the mostly part. Not only big wide landscapes with wide lenses but also mountains with tele. 28mm was the most used lens and after that it was 55. I often felt I sometimes wanted to go down to 24 but never had one so it wasn't possible but that is why I am looking at lenses starting at 24.

They seam so very like in IQ these two lenses. I know about the difference in filter size but I will have to use a step up ring with my 70-200/4 which one I choose so it does not matter but sure there might be some different in cost.

They also weight same, they are the same size, they have both VR and so on and so on. I like the reach on the sigma when traveling. It means I don't need to change lens if it is in a hurry situation if I want some extra mm of reach. I have also noticed some reviews staking that the Tamron suffers from big focus ghosting.

What do you choose. I don't need the 2.8 since I never use that big aperture so is it any idea to choose the Tamron over the Sigma 24-105?

Cheers / Johannes 

Ps. I have also looked at the Sigma 24-70 because it is 200 grams lighter and smaller in length. Is that just as good lens in quality as the other two when stopped down to 5,6 and further? 
After what, 5 years ? I am back :-D

Last edited by JGlannman on Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:41 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The Tamron 24-70 VC is by far the best lens of those three.

by JGlannman on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:29 am
JGlannman
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:The Tamron 24-70 VC is by far the best lens of those three.

Hi, thank you for your answer. But I want to ask why you think so. Alla the image samples comparisons I have seen they are very similar so why is the Tammy the best you think ? Does it have best sharpness in distance good for landscapes ? 

Warm regards Johannes

by Neilyb on Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:20 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
The Tamron is sharp, only other 24mm zoom I can say beats it is the Canon but the Tamron has stabilization and costs half as much. On a D750 you might not see huge differences, on a D810 you will especially in corners.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:10 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
JGlannman wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:The Tamron 24-70 VC is by far the best lens of those three.

Hi, thank you for your answer. But I want to ask why you think so. Alla the image samples comparisons I have seen they are very similar so why is the Tammy the best you think ? Does it have best sharpness in distance good for landscapes ? 

Warm regards Johannes
Any review ever written shows it to be the second best 24-70 ever made behind the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II.  In my own testing, I test lots of lenses, it is the best 24-70 other than the Canon and it beats all others handily in resolution, corner performance, MTF, etc.  

by JGlannman on Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:22 am
JGlannman
Forum Contributor
Alright then I know. Thank you very much for your answers.

Cheers / Johannes

by JGlannman on Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:46 pm
JGlannman
Forum Contributor
I bought the Tamron. Used in very good condition but I am having a big trouble. The VC won't turn off when turning the button to off. This is both hearable and noticed in pictures taken on a tripod with long exposures.

Anyone else had this problem I have tried to search but can not find anything.

Cheers / Johannes

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
If the VC is off but still engaged then there is something wrong with the switch that turns it on and off :(

by JGlannman on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:02 am
JGlannman
Forum Contributor
I am starting to think that it might has something to do with the newest firmware in the camera. It is supposed to optimal vibration reduction.

Because it I choose vc-on the image gets very blurry, but when choosing vc-off it is just a little blurry at long exposures. At faster exposures it is very sharp.

But I can not find how to downgrade the firmware to try it.

Cheers / Johannes

by JGlannman on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:20 am
JGlannman
Forum Contributor
Just manage to downgrade - did not help.

by Neilyb on Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:05 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Sounds like a lens problem, mine switches off fine. Did the previous owner register for the longer warranty?

by JGlannman on Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:07 am
JGlannman
Forum Contributor
No he did not I think but the lens is just a few months so it will still be warranty on it.

Thank you for testing your lens.

Cheers / Johannes

by JGlannman on Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:22 pm
JGlannman
Forum Contributor
Just want to inform that I did send the camera for service and they switched the VC-button and now it works fine :-)

Thank you for your help.

Regards Johannes

by Neilyb on Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:11 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Glad to hear it Johannes!

14 posts |