Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 27 posts | 
by DTWildphoto on Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:50 pm
DTWildphoto
Forum Contributor
What do you believe is the toughest, most reliable and stable tripod for wildlife and landscape photography with the possibility of using lens set ups as large as a 500mm. I have had problems with some pretty well known brand name equipment. I don't abuse gear but use it hard in the field stalking animals etc. Thank you!

by DTWildphoto on Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:23 am
DTWildphoto
Forum Contributor
Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject?

by Phil Shaw on Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:15 am
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
The most robust tripod that I own in a Gitzo 5-series. It is more than enough for a 600/f4 lens and I now only use it if I want to mount two camera bodies and two heads on the same set of legs. I tend to compromise a bit and have used a Gitzo 3-series tripod with my 600/f4 for a long time now as it is a bit lighter if I have to hike and also for air travel. I have used it all over the world, in all types of weather from 30 below to over 100 degrees-f, so I have no hesitation in recommending it in terms of reliability. I also feel that it provides sufficient stability for a 600/f4 providing that the legs are properly set, I'm not sure if any modern, lightweight tripod is particularly tough; if you bang them hard enough they will bend or break. Hasn't happened to me so far but I try to look after my gear so that it gets me to the end of the trip. I have recently retired my Gitzo 3530LSV to studio duty and replaced it with a Really Right Stuff TVC-34Lwith a Versa Series 3 levelling base with integral level-release clamp to make it quicker and easier to swap heads for different uses. It looks very well made - at least to the same standard as the Gitzo - maybe better, and I have no doubt that, barring accident or the need to fend off a large animal or human intent on causing me injury, it will serve me at least as well as the Gitzo has :). Hope this helps.
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by dougc on Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:37 am
dougc
Forum Contributor
PM sent.

by DTWildphoto on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:16 am
DTWildphoto
Forum Contributor
Phil,
Thank you very much! I appreciate it and this is just the type of information I was looking for! I am still pretty new to good equipment and its use. So I need good advice from time to time!

I have recieved different kinds of advise on what to use. Some say I should have as heavy of a tripods as possible to get more shots in focus with wind etc. What do you think of that reasoning? But, as you well know a heavy tripod is much harder to carry around!
David

by DTWildphoto on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:20 am
DTWildphoto
Forum Contributor
dougc wrote:PM sent.

Sorry i don't see a PM. I am however new to the forum and may not be looking in the right place1

by Woodswalker on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:49 am
Woodswalker
Forum Contributor
Check the top of the forum page next to your name for New Messages.

by Dave Courtenay on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:01 pm
Dave Courtenay
Forum Contributor
Gitzo 5542 for me, Legs like tree trunks

Dave
http://www.wildlifeinfocus.com

A Brit-A Broad

by Phil Shaw on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:46 pm
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
Much in photography, especially wildlife photography, is a compromise.  With tripods, the compromise is stability/weight/cost.  In general, more mass equates with greater stability, but if the load prevents you getting to the right place for the shot, then you need to do something else - see the post by whitehead below this one.  For a 500/f4 IS/VR I think a Gitzo or RRS Series 3 tripod will be fine 999 times out of 1,000, maybe 99,999 times out of 100,000 - get my drift.  I was shooting mountain goats at the top of Mt Evans a few years ago with my good friend Dave Courtenay (Hi Dave) - he had a 600/f4 VR on a set of tree trunks (Gitzo 5-series legs) while I was shooting with a 600/f4 IS on my Gitzo 3-series tripod.  The wind was blowing at 60mph making it difficult to open the car door.  All my shots of the goats are sharp, as were Dave's..  In this instance the wind was so bad that we had to take the lens hoods off to reduce the wind-induced vibration on the cameras.  I managed to hold on to my lens hood, but we figured Dave's ended up in Utah. The IS/VR helps a lot to reduce problems with wind.
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:32 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
David, you do not need a 5 series Gitzo tripod to shoot with a 500mm or 600mm lens. There are thousands of world class photographers using 3 series tripods and doing very well. Also, you will regret buying a 5 series especially if you have to lug it around everywhere in the field. You would do well to get a RRS Tripod. One of these 3 Series RRS tripods would serve you for a lifetime ;) http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Tripods ... -3-Tripods

by flygirl on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:27 pm
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
And for quite a difference in money, Feisol has a great tripod.  I have had several for the past 6-7 years without any problems.

www.reallybigcameras.com

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:11 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I had nothing but problems with my Feisol CF tripod.

by Methodical on Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:47 am
Methodical
Forum Contributor
Tim Zurowski wrote:I had nothing but problems with my Feisol CF tripod.

What problems?  This would help the OP and others if you provide more information.

OP, I use the RRS (TVC 33s) and it's not heavy at all, but that could be different for different people based on their age, physical condition etc.  I am 5' 7" and with it fully open it sits perfect for me.  I've had longer tripods in the past and always had to adjust the legs to get the height right, but then it would not be level, so I set out to find one that I could open fully and be set.  If you are taller, then you need to look at the TVC33 or the 34 series.

Spend good money once and get a tripod that will outlast you.

by ChrisRoss on Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:03 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Another thing to consider, I got the 3542XLS which is effectively a 3 section Gitzo with an extra lower section giving a lot of height, big advantage is that the last section can be used on steep slopes and still have the height you need. With standard tripods, only option is to lower one or two legs on the uphill side. For max stability get a model without a center column.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Mark Picard on Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:44 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
ChrisRoss wrote:Another thing to consider, I got the 3542XLS which is effectively a 3 section Gitzo with an extra lower section giving a lot of height, big advantage is that the last section can be used on steep slopes and still have the height you need.  With standard tripods, only option is to lower one or two legs on the uphill side.  For max stability get a model without a center column.
+1 I also use the 3542XLS and I agree with Chris on his reasoning.
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by Des on Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:02 am
Des
Forum Contributor
Tim Zurowski wrote:I had nothing but problems with my Feisol CF tripod.
Same here - I had their top of the line model. Poor workmanship in comparison and not as smooth in operation as a Gitzo.

I had a 3 section Gitzo before and wanted a 4 section for ease of travel. After selling it I thought I'd give Feisol a go but regretted it pretty much within days of use, and throughout the subsequent months. In the end I purchased a 4 section Gitzo and have been using it ever since. If you can do a search, look it up as I did go into a bit more details in a previous post some time ago.

At first glance, the constructions look simple, Feisol or Gitzo, but in my experience I found them to be noticeably different. From the twist-lock to the angle of the legs. All little things but in daily use a real nuisance at best and slow/cumbersome (read potentially missing shots) at worst. Buy well, buy once.
Regards,

Des

captivatingnature.co.uk

by mikeojohnson on Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:40 am
mikeojohnson
Lifetime Member
Member #:00374
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Induro. I'd be interested to hear about experiences with one of theirs.
Mike
"Photography intensifies the experience of life"
http://www.mojphoto.com

by david fletcher on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:42 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Mark Picard wrote:
ChrisRoss wrote:Another thing to consider, I got the 3542XLS which is effectively a 3 section Gitzo with an extra lower section giving a lot of height, big advantage is that the last section can be used on steep slopes and still have the height you need.  With standard tripods, only option is to lower one or two legs on the uphill side.  For max stability get a model without a center column.
+1 I also use the 3542XLS and I agree with Chris on his reasoning.

plus one more for the Gitzo range.  Have both a three series and five.  Naturally, I prefer lugging the three series...
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Gary Irwin on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:51 pm
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
I shoot the Gitzo 3541XLS for the reasons Chris mentioned above. Works fine with any 500 and the newer (lighter) 600's as well. Might be a little light for the older, heavier, 600's though, especially if you have to extend the forth leg quite often.
Gary Likes Nature.

by David Stimac on Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:41 pm
David Stimac
Forum Contributor
A new tripod you might consider is the Jobu Design Algonquin TCF-36. Made in Canada and a steal with the current exchange rate plus I found a coupon code that knocked a bit more off the price. 

I haven't used it much yet but I'm pretty impressed with the quality.

http://jobu-design.3dcartstores.com/Alg ... p_122.html

27 posts |