Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
by whitehead on Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:16 pm
whitehead
Forum Contributor
Hi - I wonder if I could get your opinions on a tripod for the following scenario.

I need to reduce weight on my pack to hump my long lens set up through the "jungle" - I am currently walking 2 miles in and then 2 miles traversing very steep valleys, carrying a 600 ED, Gitzo 5, Sachlter FSB8 and D800. When arriving at my location the setup is in a hide and in the seating position.

To cut a long story short - its killing me. I have worked on the other gear (blind, chair, food, water, etc) to get it minimal but the setup is still too heavy for the valleys which I am having to pull myself up in some sections.

I am looking at how to have the same (more or less) setup with a much reduced weight.

My idea is to stick with the D800 but buy a 500 FL lens and a much smaller tripod and head (possibly using a ball head). Less than a 500 (f4) is too short.

Any advice on how light I should be able to go for a tripod (I preffer Gitzo) and head and still retain a good platform that wont overload my "long lens technique" requirements as a lot of the shooting is less than 1/200.

Any advice whatsoever will be much appreciated.

by Neilyb on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:56 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
I will leave tripod advise to others but you might try one of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... _head.html

Will save you a lot of weight on the Sachtler. While not a fluid head by any means it is compact, light and nice to use with long lenses. Unlike a ball head it cannot flop sideways, but can flop forwards or backwards, depends on your tension setting.

by Phil Shaw on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:51 am
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
My super light tripod set-up for a 600mm/f4 is the Really Right Stuff TVC-34L leg set with the Versa Series 3 levelling base with the integral lever-release clamp.  You need an ArcaSwiss-type plate on the lens, but that's all, for static shots from a hide/blind.  If I think I am going to need to pan horizontally, I add a RRS lever-release panning clamp PC-LR.  If you need both horizontal and vertical movement, then as suggested above, the uniqball is lighter than a gimbal or fluid-type head.

In Thailand, though, I would have thought that you would be able to hire someone to help carry your gear for a month or more for the equivalent cost of a new lightweight head and carbon fibre tripod :)  
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by ChrisRoss on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:11 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
Presumably it is for stills, that is to say do you need a fluid head?

A 3 series Gitzo should be fine, presumably with a hide you don't need full extension, so the shorter versions are lighter? I use a 3532XLS Gitzo and it absolutely fine with a Canon 500mm f4 and 1.4x. You may even be able to use a 2 series if you get the model without the centre column like this one:

http://www.gitzo.com/systematic-series- ... el-gt2532s

and use it with only 0-1 sections extended,, you could get a hook and anchor it down or weight with rocks found locally for more stability. I know the 3 series will be fine, no experience with the 2 series but logically it should be possible, the biggest diameter leg will be about the same as the second biggest of the 3 series. Only the last section will be smaller diameter. You save weight, but not much about 200grams compared to the 3532S, but 1.2 kg lighter than the lightest 5 series pod.

The 3532S will be exactly equivalent to the 3532XLS as the large leg diameters will the same (apart from the extra 4th section of the XLS) I'm suggesting the S as I assume you won't need the height in a hide.

For a ball head consider an arca swiss , very easy to lock down with little effort and possibly lighter than the RRS BH-50, the BH-40 seems a touch light for a 500mm. The other option is a lightweight gimbal
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by flygirl on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:10 am
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
With my new setup of the Nikon 500 f/4E, FL lens and D810, I have found for traveling the Uniqball 35x and the Feisol CT 3442 perfect.  I found the Uniqball better than my regular ballhead, at least with stability.

by stevenmajor on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:31 pm
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
If your revisiting the same location often... maybe you could leave the heavy tripod hidden near the location between visits thus avoiding it's weight every trip. Otherwise, if it's truly "killing" you now, I'm not sure loosing 2-3 lbs will make much difference in the long run. You could be damaging yourself.
Good Luck

by Mike Gallo on Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:00 pm
Mike Gallo
Lifetime Member
Member #:00457
If you really want to go light, get the Nikon 200-500 VR Lens and a monopod. Most of the time you wont even need the monopod. Best monopod I have ever used is this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... video.html
Just havin' fun

by flygirl on Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:36 pm
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
stevenmajor wrote:If your revisiting the same location often... maybe you could leave the heavy tripod hidden near the location between visits thus avoiding it's weight every trip. Otherwise, if it's truly "killing" you now, I'm not sure loosing 2-3 lbs will make much difference in the long run. You could be damaging yourself.
Good Luck
The difference between his 600 now and the new 500 is like unbelievable. The difference in weight will be much greater than 2-3 lbs.  The new 500 is only 6.8 lbs, whereas his 600 is like 11 lbs.  I lost 6 pounds in my traveling setup just in lens, lighter tripod and using the Uniqball instead of packing my Wimberley head.

by whitehead on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:08 pm
whitehead
Forum Contributor
Many thanks to all there is some really great advice here. The unique ball looks a great idea - I did not realize it overcame the side flop - that's great info.

Based on a UB, Gitzo 3 and 500FL its looks like just over 4kg (about 9 lbs) saving.  Am going to have to get some bags of sugar and see how that would feel.

Using Steven's idea could net me an additional 4.3 lbs (1.9 kgs) saving.

A million thanks!

by Neilyb on Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:05 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
I would recommend the larger Uniquball, especially for larger lenses, you never know when you might want to get a longer lens again?

by OntPhoto on Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:07 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
This may seem redundant if you already are doing it but using a good backpack helps (some of these photo ones aren't the most comfortable or best balanced) and proper boots etc. I assume you already know that. For reach, what about using a tele-converter? I know, it means shooting at a smaller aperture and you're often shooting at less than1/200. Just wondering what type of subjects you are shooting and if they're usually moving or often stationary? Do you use remote release? I like Steven's idea of hiding the tripod at the location if you think it's safe to do so.

by Methodical on Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:19 am
Methodical
Forum Contributor
If it were me and this was a place that I frequently use, I'd look into some sort of storage solution for things I could leave there, such as the blind, chair and maybe even non-perishable canned food and water.  I'd hike in (may take 2 trips) and set up the storage solution setup and lock it down to a tree and then return with the other items and store them in the storage solution.  It may be a tough initial setup, but after that all you have to carry is your camera gear.  

Of course I don't know what's allowed out there, but from your description, it seems pretty remote and you don't have to worry about folks messing with your stuff.  I personally would not leave any of my camera equipment up there, with the exception of maybe a tripod, but not my expensive one.  The blind and chair can easily be replaced.

Sounds like you have a nice spot where no one knows about and can capture some really nice images.  Can you share a link of the images you've captured at this place?

Al

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:14 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Hi

Some late input:

I bought an Induro carbon from a local shop here about 5 years ago.   Here you will see it is very highly rated.  This is the one that is a step down from the full-sized (tall one).  I am over 6 feet tall but when standing, when the tripod mount and lens collar are added, I have only to extend the center post a few inches.  Honestly, when it was standing alone, I used to get the feeling that it might just float away.  Anyway, I love it.

Actually, this is the one I bought.  It is discontinued.  But it makes no difference because they are all great.  Induro is up there with the rest of the best.

by Professional on Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:23 pm
Professional
Lifetime Member
Member #:01430
Not sure what did you decide so for, with me i bought Gitzo series 1 up to series 5 [4 series older versions] and i never look back, series 3 and series 5 are my ultimate tripod and still going strong with me for years, the only replacement will be newer Gitzo itself or RRS, i can't think of anything else.

Series 3 is a perfect fit, series 5 is overkill, i use series 5 always in my country because i don't hike so long and i am near of my car so it is not an issue of weight, but when i travel then series 3 is my choice.

It has been long time since i bought my tripod and ballhead and whatever, but still my gear is doing the job, buy once and never look back, and i don't buy something that is just sufficient but i buy something that is high quality and overkill maybe so this will give me very long future proof.
Tareq Alhamrani

by Des on Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:19 am
Des
Forum Contributor
whitehead wrote:Many thanks to all there is some really great advice here. The unique ball looks a great idea - I did not realize it overcame the side flop - that's great info.

Based on a UB, Gitzo 3 and 500FL its looks like just over 4kg (about 9 lbs) saving.  Am going to have to get some bags of sugar and see how that would feel.

Using Steven's idea could net me an additional 4.3 lbs (1.9 kgs) saving.

A million thanks!
I visit the rainforest in Southeast Asia annually and my current telephoto set-up is pretty much as per the suggestion you have there, except I use the 500mm AF-S II (non-VR), so the weight is very close to the latest FL version. I can trek up to 6 miles a day, on uneven grounds and steep mountains. It's never easy but you WILL feel the difference being 4kg lighter!
Regards,

Des

captivatingnature.co.uk

15 posts |