P.W.Post
Forum Contributor
Can anyone recommend an Arca Swiss style replacement foot for the Canon 400 mm
DO II? 

Thanks.

by Bruce Sherman on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:00 pm
Bruce Sherman
Forum Contributor
I have this lens. I am not aware of a replacement foot and I personally see no need for one. I have attached a Wimberly plate to the existing foot.
Bruce Sherman
[url]http://www.pbase.com/brucesherman[/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:42 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I would definitely want one so that I don't add weight to the lens:
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/EF ... IS-II-USM/
http://www.kirkphoto.com/Replacement_Fo ... I_USM.html

by P.W.Post on Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:27 am
P.W.Post
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I would definitely want one so that I don't add weight to the lens:
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/EF ... IS-II-USM/
http://www.kirkphoto.com/Replacement_Fo ... I_USM.html

Thanks E.J. 

I was hoping to get some opinions as to which brand people liked the best and why. I guess it is not a popular lens, is still a hard to get, and that there are not that many out there.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:10 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Both companies make great products and I wouldn't hesitate to use either.  Neither company has ever let me down or put out an inferior lens plate.  You just can';t go wrong with either on in my opinion.

by Primus on Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:50 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
I have always used a third party lens foot for my large lenses, it avoids the need for a lens plate which you then have to screw on real tight to the original foot, which then gets friction marks on it. Sometimes the plate gets a bit loose and then you have a lens that is skewed.

The problem with the two designs above is that they add a not insignificant height to the foot and packing it may then be a little difficult, it also sits higher on a head.

I have relied on 4th Generation designs options in the past. They also make one for the 400DO and I've sent them a query about compatibility with the MkII. Their product sits much closer to the barrel and is also a bit lighter. The price is the same as the others. The only criticism is that for people with very big hands there may be less room between the foot and the lens barrel to lift it that way. Works fine for me though.

Pradeep

by P.W.Post on Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:47 pm
P.W.Post
Forum Contributor
Primus wrote:I have always used a third party lens foot for my large lenses, it avoids the need for a lens plate which you then have to screw on real tight to the original foot, which then gets friction marks on it. Sometimes the plate gets a bit loose and then you have a lens that is skewed.

The problem with the two designs above is that they add a not insignificant height to the foot and packing it may then be a little difficult, it also sits higher on a head.

I have relied on 4th Generation designs options in the past. They also make one for the 400DO and I've sent them a query about compatibility with the MkII. Their product sits much closer to the barrel and is also a bit lighter. The price is the same as the others. The only criticism is that for people with very big hands there may be less room between the foot and the lens barrel to lift it that way. Works fine for me though.

Pradeep
Thanks. I used a 4th Generation Designs Arca Swiss adapter for version 1 of the 400mm DO for a number of years and have been pleased with it. I wanted to see what other brands might be available for version II and what users thought of them. I just spoke to Jim at 4th Generation Designs and he suggested the CRX-3.5 as a replacement foot for the 400mm DO II.

http://stores.4gdphoto.com/crx-3-5/

by Primus on Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:43 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
P.W.Post wrote:
Primus wrote:I have always used a third party lens foot for my large lenses, it avoids the need for a lens plate which you then have to screw on real tight to the original foot, which then gets friction marks on it. Sometimes the plate gets a bit loose and then you have a lens that is skewed.

Pradeep
Thanks. I used a 4th Generation Designs Arca Swiss adapter for version 1 of the 400mm DO for a number of years and have been pleased with it. I wanted to see what other brands might be available for version II and what users thought of them. I just spoke to Jim at 4th Generation Designs and he suggested the CRX-3.5 as a replacement foot for the 400mm DO II.

http://stores.4gdphoto.com/crx-3-5/
Thanks, I will order that one and see how well it works with the lens.

Pradeep

by P.W.Post on Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:02 pm
P.W.Post
Forum Contributor
I ordered the CRX-3.5. It is a well designed and well made piece of equipment. However, I found it to be too short to accommodate a Wimberly flash bracket when used with my Arca Swiss clamp. I exchanged it for a CRX-5 which has a longer base plate that not only accommodates the flash bracket but is easier to hand hold.

Peter

by Primus on Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:41 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
P.W.Post wrote:I ordered the CRX-3.5. It is a well designed and well made piece of equipment. However, I found it to be too short to accommodate a Wimberly flash bracket when used with my Arca Swiss clamp. I exchanged it for a CRX-5 which has a longer base plate that not only accommodates the flash bracket but is easier to hand hold.

Peter
Oh Dear! And I just returned the CRX-5 and asked for the 3.5 thinking they had sent me the wrong one. Even spoke with John and he agreed that the shorter one may be better suited. 

Waiting to see how it works out. The one difference in my case may be that I am no longer into the Wimberley head or flash. Going to hand hold this one most of the time, or use it on a standard ball head. 

Pradeep

10 posts |