All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Brian Stirling on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:45 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
This maybe a bit of a stretch to consider as photography equipment but I could figure where else to post so...

I'm looking for a decent beach chair with umbrella for those extended shooting days in the Sun.  I'm really fair skinned and can't tolerate more than 20-30 minutes of direct Sun without sunscreen and was thinking that a beach chair with umbrella would be pretty useful.  I'd prefer one where you sit a bit higher than the really laid back beach chairs and would also prefer one that isn't overly colorful or conspicuous.  Also, as I'm a little north of 200 pounds it probably shouldn't be made out of paper, but it would need to be fold-able to put in my car.  Any help here?

Brian

by stevenmajor on Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:13 am
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
Lacking a need or desire to sit down, sunscreen and protective clothing (including wide brimmed hat) could be more practical.

by Brian Stirling on Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:55 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Well as I've injured myself and am still on and off crutches being able to sit down instead of extended periods of standing would be desirable.

Brian

by Mike in O on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:19 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Dos exxes on the table next to you and you become the world's most interesting man

by Brian Stirling on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:33 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Mike in O wrote:Dos exxes on the table next to you and you become the world's most interesting man
Perhaps, but I'd have to grow a beard!

Brian

by photoman4343 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:28 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Brian, If there will be any wind, an umbrella attached to any chair might not work unless you want to get "airborne." The only thing I can recommend is a fold up camp type chair with long enough legs so your legs will not get cramped. And maybe a beach umbrella if you can figure out how to mount it in the ground so it will not blow away.

If there will not be any wind, use your tripod and mount an umbrella to it with a super clamp and a photo umbrella clamp. (I have tried this before to photograph in the rain, but any wind makes it quickly unworkable.)

Joe Smith
Joe Smith

by Craig Browne on Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:38 pm
Craig Browne
Forum Contributor
Hi Brian Not exactly what your looking for But,,,,http://www.naturescapes.net/articles/re ... air-blind/

by Brian Stirling on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:53 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Craig, that is an interesting option and being camo it would not be so much of an eyesore as the brightly colored chairs and umbrellas out there. Might even permit a closer approach to our feathered and furry friends. The single person ones look a bit tight and with a huge lens swinging away in the gimbal it might not be the best choice. The double one might be a better option for that reason.

I'm hoping it isn't needed and that I fully recover before I'd have to buy one.

Brian

by roypatience on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:28 pm
roypatience
Forum Contributor
Try searching for "folding chair with canopy." It yielded this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bravo-Sports-Quik ... B006QR1L5O

A friend has a similar one and it looked easy to use and carry.

by Brian Stirling on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:40 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Roy, I've seen a number of similar chair and canopy items and they may do the trick, but I'm a little uncomfortable with the bright colors. One of my pet peeves as a photographer is that many tourists and some photogs tend to wear loud clothes that you can't ignore and is the visual equivalent of walking around blaring a boombox in a natural park or talking on a cellphone in a movie theater. The camo items like Craig linked would be much less obtrusive and would provide as good or better protection from the Sun.

Brian

10 posts |