Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by George Whalen on Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:31 am
George Whalen
Forum Contributor
Planning on getting the Nikon 300mm F4 VR PF. Just wondering if anyone has used this lens with Nikon teles, and your thoughts. I shoot a Nikon D7200.

Cheers
George

by Scotty on Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:41 pm
Scotty
Forum Contributor
Got my Nikon 300mm f4E PF in June and love it - very sharp lens and plays well with the 1.4x III.  I finally have a light kit with reasonable reach to go on my back with my D750 on long hikes.  Might check out Brad Hills photography site as he has one and is quite keen on it.  

I have never encountered the specular highlight problem, but I guess if you shoot a lot of birds on water this possibly could be a problem.

Easily one of the best investments in lens I have made recently, chiefly because it is very sharp and light.
http://www.ecotonephoto.com

by stevenmajor on Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:06 am
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
Very pleased with a rented copy on D810 w/ 1.4 TC. Light, sharp, easily hand holdable, 630mm in DX mode( I did not use the VR function). What's not to like?...only the curious and frustrating unavailability of this product announced over 18 months ago. At first I assumed the lens rental companies had acquired the first available batches. That was a year ago, the lens is still absent.
Tick Tock. 
Best Buy is still selling the early version with the VR issue that should be avoided. Someone who knows should post the beginning serial number of the copies that have the VR problem fixed. Nikon has been screwing up a lot these last few years, being a customer has never been so degrading or complex.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:54 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
stevenmajor wrote: What's not to like?...only the curious and frustrating unavailability of this product announced over 18 months ago.
The lens was announced on Jan 6, 2015 - a little over 7 months ago!  Here is the initial press release:
http://www.nikon.com/news/2015/0106_lens_02.htm

Here is our first thread on it which started the evening of Jan 5, 2015, which is Jan 6, 2015 in Japan:
http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 7&t=251380

by stevenmajor on Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:51 am
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the correction. In 8 days it will be 8 months, an absurd amount of time...with still no indication when the product will be available.

by whitehead on Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:33 pm
whitehead
Forum Contributor
I bought one just as a pack lens for my jungle forays when scouting new locations. It has now become one of my main lens, opening up much more possibilities than I first envisaged just because its so portable and behaves so well with the 1.4.

If I have a single downside its that, because its so small, it gives you a false sense of mobility when hand holding in low light situations. I have to scream "technique" to myself to slow down. Not a bad problem to have.

by bender16v on Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:01 pm
bender16v
Forum Contributor
Member #:02125
I received mine a couple weeks ago, the day I was leaving for a trip. I tested it in my backyard with the 1.4 and 2x and was pleased with the results but I didn't get a chance to use it much on my trip. I'll test it soon since I had the 1.4 on my old 300 f4 most of the time. In addition to the lens' small size it is incredibly lightweight. I'm looking forward to using it extensively.
-Chris Harrison

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:14 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
At your suggestion, I did check Brad Hill's assessment of this lens.  I'm a fan.  I always enjoy what he has to say about Nikon stuff.  I also got a look at some more recent bear images he has captured.  WOW!   

He has to have a working relationship…..an understanding, with these bears.  They must know him.   :)

8 posts |