« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by Alan Murphy on Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:43 am
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Do any of you remove your NC (Neutral Color) drop in filter from your long lens? Not sure it adds anything and when we are dealing with these new coatings on the front element, I'm wondering why leaving an extra glass element that serves no purpose would be a benefit. Thoughts?
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:08 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It is actually part of the optical formula and is part of the spherical aberration calculation in the lens design.  You should not remove it.  The manual says to always use a filter in the filter holder.

by Diane Miller on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:12 am
Diane Miller
Forum Contributor
I assume it is also coated to minimize light reflecting back from the sensor, and it's a lot easier to keep clean than the next more recessed fixed element.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:21 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Diane Miller wrote:I assume it is also coated to minimize light reflecting back from the sensor, and it's a lot easier to keep clean than the next more recessed fixed element.
You are correct Diane but the Nikon filter is only considered a mid-grade filter.  Still very good but there are better.  I usually replace that filter with the highest grade filter's available which have even better coatings but it certainly isn't necessary to do that by any means and I doubt that one could even perceive the differences.

by Mike in O on Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:52 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Not directly relevant but it is common knowledge that losing the Sony 500 reflex filter is no biggie, just put some electrical tape over the hole. It comes with a ND filter also which I use on 500f4 and 600f4. The latter two lens, I also use a circular polarizing filter...the point being, I think you are fine using nothing (but haven't tested on the refracting lenses).

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:20 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Reflex lenses are a completely different animal.

From the Nikon users manual for the 500 f/4:
"Always use a filter in the slip-in filter holder. A screw in NC filter is attached to the filter holder when shipped from the factory"

by Mike in O on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:33 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Sony says the same thing...using other filter like CP says to me that it isn't that important. I would test but have the use of one arm for awhile. I think they want you to fill the hole with something for light. By the way, Sony describes their filter as clear.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:12 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
You are free to do what you want, but if the manufacturer says to leave it in, I leave it in and I know for a fact on the Nikons it is a part of the optical formula. Without it, focus shifts slightly and spherical aberrations go up slightly.

by Diane Miller on Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:27 pm
Diane Miller
Forum Contributor
Same for Canons, with the same language -- part of the optical formula. If you substitute a polarizing filter, or whatever others might be available, I would use one made for the lens system.

by Anthony Medici on Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:08 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
It also prevents dust from getting further into the chamber. I do not remove the drop in on any lens with one.
Tony

by david fletcher on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:20 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Anthony Medici wrote:It also prevents dust from getting further into the chamber. I do not remove the drop in on any lens with one.
plus one.  amazing how much dust gets even there after a safari
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Mike in O on Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:34 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
david fletcher wrote:
Anthony Medici wrote:It also prevents dust from getting further into the chamber. I do not remove the drop in on any lens with one.
plus one.  amazing how much dust gets even there after a safari
I don't think anyone is recommending leaving the hole open.   :lol:

12 posts |