Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 17 posts | 
by rene on Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:42 am
rene
Forum Contributor
I was wondering whether there is a lot of difference between above and cheaper  alternatives when used with a Sony A7RII and Canon lenses with regards to AF speed and built quality. What alternatives would one advise if any?
Rene 

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:11 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The Fotodiox adapters have a good reputation and are cheaper:
https://www.fotodioxpro.com/pro-lens-mo ... matic.html

There are others but the problem when you get too cheap is that they tend to not be made to as high of a level of precision and you can end up with some cross field focus issues.

by Jens Peermann on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:37 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:The Fotodiox adapters have a good reputation and are cheaper:
I checked that link you supplied but couldn't find any information on aperture preview, which is very important for me. Any knowledge about that?
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:05 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
What do you mean with aperture preview? If you mean that you are looking at the image in the EVF stopped down to the working aperture then that is automatic with most mirrorless cameras including the Sonys and has nothing to do with the adapter.

by Jens Peermann on Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:24 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:What do you mean with aperture preview?  If you mean that you are looking at the image in the EVF stopped down to the working aperture then that is automatic with most mirrorless cameras including the Sonys and has nothing to do with the adapter.
I was referring to DOF preview; just couldn't think of the term when I wrote that.

Unlike Canon cameras, the Sony A7 doesn't let you view in DOF preview when looking at a magnified section of the image. Pressing whichever button you have assigned for the DOF function instantly cancels the magnification. The Metabones IV adapter offers a weird, but doable, workaround via its "Green Mode".

To activate the "Green Mode" the adapter has to be attached to the camera before the camera is turned on. While the lens is being attached to the adapter, the camera has to be turned on and the adapter's "Green Mode Button" has to be pressed. That will put the adapter/camera combo in "Green Mode", where it will remain for as long as the same lens stays attached to the adapter, even when power is turned off and back on again.

In "Green Mode" the lens is constantly in DOF preview, even when the camera displays a magnified section of the image. Pressing the "Green Mode Button" in this state will open the aperture to the max. Which makes it kind of a reversed DOF Preview button.

I am wondering if the Fotodiox adapter has something similar.

by goto_dengo on Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:51 pm
goto_dengo
Forum Contributor
FWIW, I'm in the first wave of B&H A7RII shipments, and will be testing my Canon 400 f5.6 with a Fotodiox adapter ASAP.  I have what are probably irrationally high hopes for this combo; we'll see ;)  Not expecting excellence with BIF, but for more stationary targets...who knows.

by Jens Peermann on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:53 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
goto_dengo wrote:FWIW, I'm in the first wave of B&H A7RII shipments, and will be testing my Canon 400 f5.6 with a Fotodiox adapter ASAP.
So far I have been unable to focus the 400/5.6 at infinity with the A7/Metabones combo. The lens is OK. It has been focusing properly with every Canon Camera I've had since 1999, AF or manual, and still does with my 7D. So, I am really interested how that works with the Photodiox adapter.

Last edited by Jens Peermann on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Jens Peermann on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:57 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Unintended Post. Disregard! :)

by rene on Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:53 am
rene
Forum Contributor
I would also like to hear about your experience with the Photo dioxide adapter.
Rene

by Rocky Sharwell on Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:59 am
Rocky Sharwell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00054
goto_dengo wrote:FWIW, I'm in the first wave of B&H A7RII shipments, and will be testing my Canon 400 f5.6 with a Fotodiox adapter ASAP.  I have what are probably irrationally high hopes for this combo; we'll see ;)  Not expecting excellence with BIF, but for more stationary targets...who knows.

How do you know what wave you are in at B&H
?
Rocky Sharwell

by rene on Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:20 pm
rene
Forum Contributor
So today...while waiting for my Sony A7RII to arrive...I tried the Commlite adapter with the Sony A7II on the following lenses to check AF.

Canon 600 Version 2 result FAIL
Canon 100-400 Version 2 result FAIL
Canon 70-200/2.8 Version 2 result FAIL
Canon 300/2.8 Version 2 result FAIL
Sigma 150-600 sport result FAIL

Everything else like IS work fine.

So I don't know whether it has anything to do with the Sony camera...but rather a disappointing exercise, Would be nice if it worked and if you check out the various YouTube reviews..it does seem to work. Tomorrow I get the Fotodiox, so will give that a shot.
Rene

by Mike in O on Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:59 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
If the lens was produced after 2006 protocol and has a ring motor (not a micro motor), the AF of the A7rII should work great. This is an early understanding of what has been posted on the internet. I started a thread on Fred Miranda to get a handle of the quirks of the system.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1379624

by sdaconsulting on Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:32 am
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
From preliminary results from folks over at STF on DPR, medium and short focal length lenses are mostly working well, long lenses not so well.
Matthew Cromer

by Mike in O on Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:56 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Here is a list from Brian Smith and Fred Miranda is also compiling a list
http://briansmith.com/canon-ef-to-sony- ... ity-guide/
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1379624
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1379881

edit:  Brian Smith has not updated his report with the 7rII

by sdaconsulting on Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:28 pm
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
I think there is some level of disappointment that the A7R2 isn't doing as well as hoped with autofocus with really long Canon lenses and the various adapters.

It will be interesting to see if it does better with long Sony A-mount glass on the LA-EA3, such as the 500/4, 70-400/4-5.6, Tamron 150-600 etc.
Matthew Cromer

by rene on Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:38 am
rene
Forum Contributor
I received my Sony A7RII yesterday and, in the very little time that was available, mounted the following lenses with Metabones IV adapter on the 7RII. Results were encouraging.

Canon 70-200/2.8 VII AF locks on without problems
Canon 300/2.8 AF locks on without any problems
Canon 200-400 AF locks on without any problems
Sigma 160-600 Sports locks on without any problem

Af was a bit slow but i was overall pleasantly surprised.
Rene

by rene on Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:31 am
rene
Forum Contributor
It also works fine with the Commlite adapter abeit a bit more hesitant
Rene

17 posts |