Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 96 posts | 
by Mike in O on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:32 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Anyone able to give 1st impressions of the Sony A7rII (it is being delivered in the UK).

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:58 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I think it will be a couple of weeks before there will be much meaningful user info since the rest of the world isn't getting release of the camera until 8/5 and then shipping and actually using enough to form a meaningful opinion takes some time too. But if there are any UK owners that have already done that, it would be interesting.

in the meantime here is the guide for the camera:
http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1520/v1/en/print.pdf

by sdaconsulting on Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:36 pm
sdaconsulting
Forum Contributor
Quentin Bargate's samples from the UK look very promising, so far...
Matthew Cromer

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:40 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
A couple of surprises in the box for the a7R2 - unlike the a7R, there was an external wall charger included in the box (in addition to the normal USB charger) and it came with two batteries!

by signgrap on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:42 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
E.J. Peiker wrote:A couple of surprises in the box for the a7R2 - unlike the a7R, there was an external wall charger included in the box (in addition to the normal USB charger) and it came with two batteries!
Does this mean you have one in your hands?
If so I hope you'll be doing a menu setup guide for the Mk II that you did for the a7R  :)
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:46 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
signgrap wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:A couple of surprises in the box for the a7R2 - unlike the a7R, there was an external wall charger included in the box (in addition to the normal USB charger) and it came with two batteries!
Does this mean you have one in your hands?
If so I hope you'll be doing a menu setup guide for the Mk II that you did for the a7R  :)
Yes - in my hand :) 

by Mike in O on Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:40 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
EJ you are one lucky dog...enjoy.  The 7rII has a lot to live up to being called the Jesus camera and all.   :evil:

by mikeojohnson on Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:20 am
mikeojohnson
Lifetime Member
Member #:00374
I just wrote a blog post with some initial impressions: http://www.mojphoto.com/blog/2015/8/another-new-camera
mike
"Photography intensifies the experience of life"
http://www.mojphoto.com

by signgrap on Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:03 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Mike which videos did you find most useful in setting the menu options?
Could you supply links?
Dick Ludwig

by mikeojohnson on Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:21 am
mikeojohnson
Lifetime Member
Member #:00374
Dick,
This one deals with the A72 but most is applicable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APrti3EeUmE

Here is one for the A7R2: http://www.colbybrownphotography.com/15 ... ony-a7rii/

If you search on youtube or go to sonyalpharumors you can browse until you run out of gas....
Mike
"Photography intensifies the experience of life"
http://www.mojphoto.com

by Joerg Rockenberger on Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:48 am
Joerg Rockenberger
Forum Contributor
There are some interesting tests about the Sony a7rII reported at http://blog.kasson.com. I am not in a position to judge the validity of the testing methods he is using but he seems pretty thorough...

http://blog.kasson.com

Best, Joerg

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:30 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Joerg Rockenberger wrote:There are some interesting tests about the Sony a7rII reported at http://blog.kasson.com. I am not in a position to judge the validity of the testing methods he is using but he seems pretty thorough...

http://blog.kasson.com

Best, Joerg
For those of us into the techie geeky stuff, his blog is fascinating.  I love the one where he shot a 6 second exposure in bulb mode vs just dialing a regular 6second exposure and you can very clearly see that the camera drops to a 12 bit/pixel camera in bulb mode (which Sony states that it does so it isn't a surprise but amazing to see graphically the drop in information).  

BTW, for those that missed it, the camera also drops to 12 bit/pixel when shooting in continuous AF mode as opposed to single shot AF and also if you use silent shutter instead of standard shutter or electronic fist curtain shutter.  He also clearly shows that the way the gain circuitry works allows for higher dynamic range and lower noise at ISO 640 and ISO 800 than ISO 500. 

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:35 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
BTW, another great blog that is less techie and more real world use based is Brian Smith's:
http://briansmith.com/blog/

by Joerg Rockenberger on Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:07 pm
Joerg Rockenberger
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:For those of us into the techie geeky stuff, his blog is fascinating.  I love the one where he shot a 6 second exposure in bulb mode vs just dialing a regular 6second exposure and you can very clearly see that the camera drops to a 12 bit/pixel camera in bulb mode (which Sony states that it does so it isn't a surprise but amazing to see graphically the drop in information).  

BTW, for those that missed it, the camera also drops to 12 bit/pixel when shooting in continuous AF mode as opposed to single shot AF and also if you use silent shutter instead of standard shutter or electronic fist curtain shutter.  He also clearly shows that the way the gain circuitry works allows for higher dynamic range and lower noise at ISO 640 and ISO 800 than ISO 500. 
Why would Sony implement the change in precision for certain modes? It seems so weird and arbitrary. Thanks. Joerg

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:20 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Joerg Rockenberger wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:For those of us into the techie geeky stuff, his blog is fascinating.  I love the one where he shot a 6 second exposure in bulb mode vs just dialing a regular 6second exposure and you can very clearly see that the camera drops to a 12 bit/pixel camera in bulb mode (which Sony states that it does so it isn't a surprise but amazing to see graphically the drop in information).  

Why would Sony implement the change in precision for certain modes? It seems so weird and arbitrary. Thanks. Joerg
It's all related to their 11/7bit strange RAW compression scheme but they haven't come out with the technical details as to why it's implemented that way.  This isn't a change from the previous a7 bodies.

Sony has stated that it could implement a lossless RAW file in the future if the demand is there.  Now what "demand" means to them is unclear since there has been so much bad press and petitions and everything else calling on them to give us a lossless format.  in reality, except for in very specific circumstances the RAW compression part doesn't matter much, I still think they should let the photographer make that decision - the same goes for this drop to 12 bit mode in certain shooting modes.  For me at least, that part doesn't matter much since I always shoot these cameras in single shot mode and EFC mode.  Bulb mose though could come into play.

Oh, also if you leave the dark frame subtraction (long exposure noise reduction) on it also drops to 12 bit regardless of whether the dark frame subtraction is actually happening so you most definitely want to set that to off and only turn it on when you really need it.

All that said, the increased detail due to the EFC and not having that humongous shutter shock that the a7R had is really really significant!!!  It simply transforms the sharpness of the 24-70 and 70-200 lenses.

by Joerg Rockenberger on Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:23 pm
Joerg Rockenberger
Forum Contributor
Looking forward to your review. I traded in all my Canon gear & accessories for the Sony a7rII and the two Batis lenses. Now, I am waiting...

Joerg

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:41 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I hadn't planned on writing a full blown review like I did on the a7R - something like that takes at least 100 hours for no pay ;)   I may do a thing on the settings I use and I already did an overview of the changes in my last newsletter and will most likely add some experiential notes in my next one.  And of course, as necessary add my 2 cents worth here in the forums.

At this point I've gotten through the 320 page online manual with camera in hand and have it all configured the way I like (not the piece of crap guide that it comes packed with).  Since there is an extra user programmable button I've changed things a bit from the a7R.  Also you can now combine auto bracketing with a 2 second self timer which is nice from the standpoint of getting the camera settled after every exposure.

It still blows my mind that the majority of photographers that shell out thousands of dollars for cameras like this won't take the 6 hours to go through the manual with the camera to learn what it can do. ;)

by Joerg Rockenberger on Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:01 pm
Joerg Rockenberger
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I hadn't planned on writing a full blown review like I did on the a7R - something like that takes at least 100 hours for no pay ;)  
I can imagine. Makes sense. Whatever you share is surely much appreciated.
 Also you can now combine auto bracketing with a 2 second self timer which is nice from the standpoint of getting the camera settled after every exposure.
I think I read somewhere that auto-bracketing is also subject to the 12 bit processing as it is linked to continuous shooting. Though I can't remember where I picked this up (Lloyd Chamber's blog?). Do you know if true?

And I surely will read the manual once I have a camera in my hands. Actually, I always do.

Joerg

by signgrap on Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:11 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:   . . . . .  He also clearly shows that the way the gain circuitry works allows for higher dynamic range and lower noise at ISO 640 and ISO 800 than ISO 500. 
E.J. Could you explain why this is the case?
I assume that these gains in DR are limited to these specific ISO's and aren't applicable to other ISO's. 
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:01 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Joerg Rockenberger wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I hadn't planned on writing a full blown review like I did on the a7R - something like that takes at least 100 hours for no pay ;)  
I can imagine. Makes sense. Whatever you share is surely much appreciated.
 Also you can now combine auto bracketing with a 2 second self timer which is nice from the standpoint of getting the camera settled after every exposure.
I think I read somewhere that auto-bracketing is also subject to the 12 bit processing as it is linked to continuous shooting. Though I can't remember where I picked this up (Lloyd Chamber's blog?). Do you know if true?

And I surely will read the manual once I have a camera in my hands. Actually, I always do.

Joerg
There's two bracketing modes, one is continuous and the other is single shot so the latter definitely would not be.

96 posts |