All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by SteveShuey on Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:14 pm
SteveShuey
Lifetime Member
Member #:01479
I can't figure this out. Have a Canon Rebel T3i and when I shoot with it sometimes the photos are named with an IMG_.... then, at other times it is with a _MG_.... I don't understand why it switches from _MG to IMG or vice versa. I don't touch any dials or anything. Anyone have any thoughts?
Steve Shuey
"Do or do not, there is no try" Yoda

by bryantjl on Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:55 am
bryantjl
Forum Contributor
This applies to all EOS cameras. If you have your colour space set in the camera menu to AdobeRGB then the first character of the factory set number will become an underscore. If the colour space is set to RGB then the first character reverts to the original factory setting. I am sure this is the case with your Rebel model.

by bryantjl on Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:04 am
bryantjl
Forum Contributor
Apologies, the RGB should read sRGB.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:05 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
bryantjl wrote:This applies to all EOS cameras. If you have your colour space set in the camera menu to AdobeRGB then the first character of the factory set number will become an underscore. If the colour space is set to RGB then the first character reverts to the original factory setting. I am sure this is the case with your Rebel model.
Not just all EOS cameras, all digital cameras regardless of manufacturer. 

by SteveShuey on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:57 am
SteveShuey
Lifetime Member
Member #:01479
OK, I get that but what I don't get it why it switches for no reason. We'll shoot a bunch of shots of something and during the shoot some photos will be _MG and others will be IMG. No one changes the color space. The only thing I can think of is that somethings we shoot in "P" mode (or Tv, Av) and sometimes we shoot in "A+" mode (fully automatic). I notice that when in A+ I actually can't hang the color space so I owner if the answer is as simple as shooting in "p" vs "A+"? Will do a test to see. Thanks for all the input.
Steve Shuey
"Do or do not, there is no try" Yoda

by bryantjl on Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:57 am
bryantjl
Forum Contributor
When you shoot in fully automatic mode the color space is sRGB by default. There is no menu option for color space in A+. In P Mode you have the option to choose the color space so you probably have Adobe RGB set.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:06 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Yup, if you change to a scene mode or program or any fully automatic mode it changes to sRGB. In aperture priority, shutter priority, and manual, if you ahve set the camera to shoot in Adobe RGB, it will switch to that.

by Jens Peermann on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:55 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
I always thought that IMG indicates JPEG and _MG indicates RAW. But since I have my RAW images set to Adobe RGB and the JPEGs are on sRGB by default, that's what I'm getting.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

8 posts |