Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by o0oRichard on Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:44 pm
o0oRichard
Forum Contributor
I'm in the market for a secondhand nikon 500mm, but I was wondering what are reasonable prices to pick a decent looking lens.
Also with the upcoming new 500mm would it be worth it to wait it out for a price drop of the older (current) version?

kind regards,

Richard

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:22 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
What generally happens is that there is an initial drop due to the market getting flooded with older lenses and then as that supply dries up the prices go up substantially due to the much higher price of the new lens.

by Vertigo on Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:16 pm
Vertigo
Forum Contributor
Here in Europe prices for a used 500VR is about 6000 euros.
If you are not an addict on VR, the slightly older 500 AF-S "II" is 400g lighter, and at around 4000 euros saves you also a fair amount of money. They are pretty hard to find, though. Most listed are the version AF-S "I", which are heavier.
(My "II" is on sale BTW, so send me a PM if you might be interested).

by flygirl on Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:55 am
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
o0oRichard wrote:I'm in the market for a secondhand nikon 500mm, but I was wondering what are reasonable prices to pick a decent looking lens.
Also with the upcoming new 500mm would it be worth it to wait it out for a price drop of the older (current) version?

kind regards,

Richard

Hi Richard

If you not stuck on getting a VR version, I will be selling my 500 AFS II version in the next couple months.  It has been fully check and parts replaced by Nikon last year.  I will be asking $4500.00 plus shipping and insurance.  Glass in perfect condition and will come with its new lenscoat.

Nancy Elwood
naturesportal@gmail.com

4 posts |