All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by Doug Brown on Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:14 pm
Doug Brown
Forum Contributor
Member #:01836
I own a Canon 24-70 f/4 IS and just purchased the 16-35 f/4 IS. The circular polarizer that I currently own does not work with my lens caps. Can anyone recommend a good CP that will accommodate a Canon lens cap? Thanks in advance for your help!

by Greg Downing on Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:18 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Doug - the thin polarizers will not accommodate a standard lens cap. If you get a thicker one that does accommodate a cap then you will end up with slight vignetting. If that's acceptable to you then any polarizer that specs that it is double threaded will work. I still use thin polarizers and don't cap my lenses when in use. When not in use they are in neoprene pouches and if the polarizer is mounted it goes in face down bare - not ideal but the little pop on caps that come with the thin filters get lost the first day...
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by photoman4343 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:55 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Doug, Singh Ray sells thin plastic Push On Caps that will fit over most polarizers. They come in various sizes from 52mm to 82mm. They may be what you are looking for. I have two of them both sized at 77mm that fit snugly enough for them to be effective.
http://www.singh-ray.com/accesories/
Joe
Joe Smith

by andre paul on Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:55 pm
andre paul
Forum Contributor
i have been using the hoya pro digital. its an ok polarizer ... ( maybe not the best )
does not vignette on my 16-35 and works with my nikon caps !
maybe it will work for you !
andre reichmann
**sao paulo-brazil**

by stevenmajor on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:53 pm
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
I have the same problem because I have a screw in collapsible rubber lens hood attached to the polarizer (so the polarizer is easier to spin) that won't accept a front cap. I keep soft cotton fabric in the bottom of neoprene pouches and store the assembled lens, polarizer, & rubber hood face down as well. Because the hood is collapsible, I can change it's length so it is compatible with different focal length lenses.
Don't recall ever seeing any reviews / tests of any polarizer.

by John Labrenz on Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:51 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
@stevenmajor;

A bit dated...but....
http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article-Po ... ction.html

by Mike in O on Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:36 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
A step up ring can also be used instead of the thin polarizer, the thins can be very thin and fragile.

by Greg Basco on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:44 am
Greg Basco
Forum Contributor
Member #:01519
Doug, Joe's suggestion above re: the push caps would be something to look into for the polarizer you already have.

This is the polarizer I have for the 16-35. I read up a bit, and it seemed like it was the thinnest to still accept regular caps and also to allow me to screw in another filter (say a variable ND) when I wanted.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... al_MC.html

Cheers,
Greg

by Doug Brown on Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:09 am
Doug Brown
Forum Contributor
Member #:01836
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to try a Lenscoat Hoodie with my current circular polarizer. If I don't like that solution, I'll try Greg's polarizer recommendation.

by Greg Basco on Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:19 am
Greg Basco
Forum Contributor
Member #:01519
Welcome to the world of wide angles, amigo!

Cheers,
Greg

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:58 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Hoya makes an EVO Anti-static polarizer in a thin mount that still allows lens caps to grip the edge.  The filter is thin enough to avoid any vignetting but still deep enough for a standard lens cap.  It is a very high grade filter equal to some of the best on the market.  Here it is mounted on a Zeiss-Sony 16-35 f/4 with cap attached.  Sony caps work identically to Canon caps:

by imagenes_vivas on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:58 am
imagenes_vivas
Forum Contributor
I have been testing the Hoya HD CPL, B+W XS Pro and the new Benro CPL-HD Slim. All of them are slim, have front threads for the lens cap and work perfect.

Any of them does not vignette on my 16-35 mm and are of very optical high quality.

For some years I worked with the B+W Slim CPL without threads and I hate their useless lens cover. I will never use one again.

12 posts |