Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:09 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Most if not all Canadian retailers have dropped the price of the Canon 2X III down to $489 Canadian.  Including the Canon Canada e-Store.  Sale price ends some time in the first week of July.  

The Camera Store in Calgary always had it at $489 even before this sale but think all Canadian retailers have it at $489 now.

by OntPhoto on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:07 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I ordered one. Although I already have the older 2X II, have to try the new III. Will do side by side with both on the Canon 500 f4 II. If the new III shows any improvement, it's a keeper.

by Professional on Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:15 pm
Professional
Lifetime Member
Member #:01430
I ordered many gear even i didn't use them much or yet, all because i found some deals on prices, i never know when those items are gone forever or when the prices may go up suddenly, so i bought this 2X III even i didn't use my 2X II either, but i sold my 2X II in good price so the lose wasn't big.

I still don't have any longer teles than 300 and no version II, so i will wait longer until i get back to photography and the prices of Canon i hope to go down a bit so we can buy some teles even one at least, but photography equipment is never a cheap and having a big BIG list of wish of gear making it even harder to buy something and not something else.

I bought my 2XIII last year if i still remember or late 2013 not sure for under than US$450, and also with selling of my 2XII after that it is like i paid nearly $200-300 for my 2XIII, i also bought 1.4XIII but i still didn't sell my 1.4XII which i hope i can locally, i have stores in my area/country that sell gear at very low prices brand new, it may look like as a scum or not genuine or grey market, but why i care to have original dealer authorised item at very high price when the item is same as the other one from another shop/store at about 30-50% discount?!!!
Tareq Alhamrani

by OntPhoto on Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:19 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I got it yesterday. They have down-sized the pouch. Don't want to be knocking that thing around. May look for a padded bag for it.

Me, I do use the 2X from time to time. I figure, shooting with quality glass, 500 f4 II and if I can avoid as much degradaton of the image and AF as possible, why not? Why put a less than perfect 2X on a great lens. I know, 2X are not perfect but if it is noticeably better than the older 2X, it is already a good investment. I'll know after taking side by side pics with both.

by Professional on Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:29 pm
Professional
Lifetime Member
Member #:01430
Congratulations!!!

Sure, newer versions mostly are better, so MKIII should be somehow better IQ or optically than MKII, i got it even i don't have any super tele mkII yet, i just have 70-200 mKII the only one.
Tareq Alhamrani

by OntPhoto on Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:58 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Professional wrote:Congratulations!!!

Sure, newer versions mostly are better, so MKIII should be somehow better IQ or optically than MKII, i got it even i don't have any super tele mkII yet, i just have 70-200 mKII the only one.

I had the opportunity to try it out today.  It's a keeper.  Very happy to have bought one.  Got it from Canon directly.

by Vivek on Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:35 am
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
The 2X-III is a very good TC and works great with the series II lenses.
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

by OntPhoto on Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:12 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Vivek wrote:The 2X-III is a very good TC and works great with the series II lenses.

It sure does.  I read mixed user experience but I can tell from personal experience over the last 2 days, this new 2X III is well worth it.  Today I put it to a good test. I was shooting in a light rain with wind gusts of about 34km/hr.  Subject was far away.  Had the Vortex Storm Jacket (XXL)  on a 7D MK2, 500 f4 II and 2x III.  Shooting in Ai-servo on a Gitzo and the new 2X III still managed to AF well and very good image results.  Based on what I am seeing, I have no hesitation to use the 2X III when I need the reach.

by Gary Irwin on Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:56 pm
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:
Vivek wrote:The 2X-III is a very good TC and works great with the series II lenses.

It sure does.  I read mixed user experience but I can tell from personal experience over the last 2 days, this new 2X III is well worth it.  Today I put it to a good test. I was shooting in a light rain with wind gusts of about 34km/hr.  Subject was far away.  Had the Vortex Storm Jacket (XXL)  on a 7D MK2, 500 f4 II and 2x III.  Shooting in Ai-servo on a Gitzo and the new 2X III still managed to AF well and very good image results.  Based on what I am seeing, I have no hesitation to use the 2X III when I need the reach.
Agree completely...I'm very impressed with my TC20EIII, even on my 500II f4...

http://www.pbase.com/garyirwin/image/160334110
Gary Likes Nature.

by OntPhoto on Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:04 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Gary Irwin wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:

Agree completely...I'm very impressed with my TC20EIII, even on my 500II f4...

http://www.pbase.com/garyirwin/image/160334110

Nice one Gary.  I see you have the same setup as me.  And you also shoot Nikon.  You know, glad I decided to try the 2X III or I wouldn't know :-)

This image fills up the spot meter circle in the middle of the frame (or if you have the middle AF point and 4 surrounding AF points, it fills up that area) so subject is far away.  The crop is much larger but here is a downsized version at ISO 1250.  No hesitation to use the new 2X III (sure, I would prefer a 1.4x over a 2x but the 2X does very well).  Keep in mind, there was a light driving rain and 34km/hr wind gust so "stuff" was in the way between my lens and the subject.

http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/160577751/original

10 posts |