Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Steven Major on Wed May 06, 2015 9:26 am
Steven Major
Forum Contributor
With the 810 I am using AF-S single point auto focus. In the viewfinder the black single point achieves focus and turns red when the shutter is preses half way. Works well. The issue is the auto focus area brackets that surround the single point and occupy about one third of the viewfinder. The brackets are an unwanted visual distraction, even worse, they turn red when the single point does...telling me nothing additional and become even more of a distraction.
Is there a setting that will eliminate the brackets or stop them from turning red with the single point? I've spent time with the manual and deep in the menus without success.
Thanks

by E.J. Peiker on Wed May 06, 2015 1:31 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The brackets will stay there but if you turn off AF point illumination the bracket frame shouldn't light up.

by Steven Major on Thu May 07, 2015 5:11 pm
Steven Major
Forum Contributor
Thanks E.J.
But turning off the AF point illumination, I will not know that focus has been achieved (other than the subject may "look" in focus) because the AF point will also not be lighting up.
When I am moving the camera (say on a bird moving around a tree), I often repeatedly press the shutter button half way to gain focus so I can be aware of what the bird is doing, it's position, and to compose the shot before exposure. With the brackets lighting up as well, it can be like looking through a blinking red light...very not good.
I don't recall this being an issue with my 5DIIs.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri May 08, 2015 5:07 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Hi

Do not have the D810.  Do have the D610.

Just wondering if what I did with my D610 might be of help.  Just google imaged the D810 and you have the same button.  It is the AE-L over AF-L, that will come under your right thumb if you so choose.  

I have this set to do my autofocus.  My autofocusing is not done with the shutter button.  Do not recall how, but I did it inside the camera.

Just wondering if you might have this same optional autofocus option on the D810 and if it might NOT trigger that light.  That's all.  It is a long shot, but it just occurred to me that it might be a possibility.  Yes, that would be annoying to me too.  The light does not come on with this D610.

If I misunderstood the problem...sorry.  I am not technically gifted with these cameras, having to have most things explained to me by someone who knows more

:)

Robert

by E.J. Peiker on Fri May 08, 2015 6:18 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
STEVENMAJOR wrote:Thanks E.J.
But turning off the AF point illumination, I will not know that focus has been achieved (other than the subject may "look" in focus) because the AF point will also not be lighting up.
When I am moving the camera (say on a bird moving around a tree), I often repeatedly press the shutter button half way to gain focus so I can be aware of what the bird is doing, it's position, and to compose the shot before exposure. With the brackets lighting up as well, it can be like looking through a blinking red light...very not good.
I don't recall this being an issue with my 5DIIs.
Sure you will!  You still get the in focus confirmation light in the lower left of the viewfinder. I think you just don't know the camera well enough yet.  Study all of the different things available in the viewfinder ;)

by Steven Major on Fri May 08, 2015 8:43 pm
Steven Major
Forum Contributor
Thanks all...and you are correct, I am still leanring this camera. A short while back, I "crossed over" to Nikon, Mac, and Lightroom, all in one week. The learning curve has been periodically circling around and kicking me right in the A.
I am shooting in the Great Smokey Mountains (Tenn). During down time I have been enjoying back issues of Quack..thanks for that to.

6 posts |