« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 23 posts | 
by Mike in O on Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:25 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
2 new Zeiss lenses (25f2 & 851.8) autofocus for Sony E mount.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/official ... in-summer/

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:38 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Full Frame E-mount! :)
Here is the official page:
http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_d ... batis.html

The distance display on the lenses are unique in that they are OLED and gives a precise distance readout.

by lelouarn on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:42 pm
lelouarn
Forum Contributor
At least the 25mm f/2 looks very similar to the ZE and ZF distagons, except of course for autofocus and the fancy display. It will be interesting to see how they fare against the manual focus distagons used with an adapter...

by lelouarn on Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:02 am
lelouarn
Forum Contributor
diglloyd.com has now the MTF curves on his site. I compared the 25mm Batis with the 25mm ZE, and the curves are quite different. The Batis is slightly worse in the center, but a LOT better in the corners. At f/2 the curve for the Batis almost flat. So we can expect pretty uniform performance across the frame.
It looks like the Batis and the ZE Distagon are going to be very different beasts...

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:07 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Amazingly enough, 9 months later, my Batis 25mm f/2 shipped today!!!
Still waiting on Loxia 21mm and Voigtlander 12mm and then my FE lens set will be complete :)

by Neilyb on Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:52 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Congrats. I had to source a used one, go figure, the Germans will get them last ;)  cannot wait to see how those little Voigtlander's perform, although I am more inclined to go 15mm.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:05 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Neilyb wrote:Congrats. I had to source a used one, go figure, the Germans will get them last ;)  cannot wait to see how those little Voigtlander's perform, although I am more inclined to go 15mm.
15mm is still a good nightime focal length so I will stick with my truly awesome Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 for that focal length :)  But yes, the Voigtlander 15 looks appealing for a smaller lens.

by Neilyb on Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:42 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
The Zeiss looks good but it is not the cheapest lens and I found corner performance using my Canon 16-35 less than ideal (maybe my Viltrox adapter?). Would prefer to use native lenses where possible.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:00 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
There is no comparison between the Zeiss prime 15mm and the Canon 16-35 ;) But the real thing for me is the f/2.8 aperture compared to f/ 4.5

by Neilyb on Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:58 pm
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:There is no comparison between the Zeiss prime 15mm and the Canon 16-35 ;)  But the real thing for me is the f/2.8 aperture compared to f/ 4.5

Which is why I have the Batis until such time I can get my hands on the Loxia. F2 is also nice to have, despite the vignetting.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:47 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I should have the Loxia 21 in a couple of weeks.  At that point, if it's good enough I'll sell my 21 ZF.2 and the only thing I will need an adapter for is the 15/2.8, the rare occasion when I use an 85/1.8 for portrait work, my fisheye (also rarely used), and my 150 macro (rarely used).  Despite that, I still want an adapter that passes through the EXIF data so that I can automatically select lens correction profiles in RAW editing.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:40 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I just got done putting the Batis 25mm through an aperture ramp on the ISO 12233 test chart and I'm blown away. I see essentially no corner falloff at any aperture and wide open it is the sharpest prime in the corners I have tested except for the Otus 55mm and that isn't a wide angle lens. It simply shatters the sharpness from any other wide angle lens I have ever tested wide open and at f/2.8 it is amazing. By f/2.8 it is easily, by a wide margin, the sharpest wide angle I have ever tested across the entire frame. At f/2.8 it is sharper in the extreme corners than the Nikon 24mm f/1.4 is in the center, it is even better than the Sigma 24 f/1.4 Art at f/2.8!  I am stunned by the sharpness of this lens, like nothing I have ever seen in a wide angle lens.  Wow, it's crazy good!  I would have zero hesitance in using this lens wide open and I never use lenses wide open :)

by signgrap on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:45 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
E.J. Peiker wrote:I just got done putting the Batis 25mm through an aperture ramp on the ISO 12233 test chart and I'm blown away. I see essentially no corner falloff at any aperture and wide open it is the sharpest prime in the corners I have tested except for the Otus 55mm and that isn't a wide angle lens. It simply shatters the sharpness from any other wide angle lens I have ever tested wide open and at f/2.8 it is amazing. By f/2.8 it is easily, by a wide margin, the sharpest wide angle I have ever tested across the entire frame. At f/2.8 it is sharper in the extreme corners than the Nikon 24mm f/1.4 is in the center, it is even better than the Sigma 24 f/1.4 Art at f/2.8!  I am stunned by the sharpness of this lens, like nothing I have ever seen in a wide angle lens.  Wow, it's crazy good!  I would have zero hesitance in using this lens wide open and I never use lenses wide open :)
So do I surmise correctly that this lens would be great for astro photography?
Dick Ludwig

by Primus on Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:08 pm
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
EJ, I've been saying this ever since I got this little beauty last year. The A7R2 with the Batis 25mm is just about the best camera and lens combo in 35mm format at this focal length, probably at any focal length, period.

Pradeep

by Neilyb on Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:21 pm
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Now I really have to get out and use mine :-(

by Danny Burk on Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:55 pm
Danny Burk
Forum Contributor
Just got mine a couple of weeks ago - not much chance to use it yet during the winter doldrums.
Danny Burk
http://www.dannyburk.com
Fine print and imaging sales, drum scanning service, field and Photoshop technique workshops

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:29 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
signgrap wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I just got done putting the Batis 25mm through an aperture ramp on the ISO 12233 test chart and I'm blown away. I see essentially no corner falloff at any aperture and wide open it is the sharpest prime in the corners I have tested except for the Otus 55mm and that isn't a wide angle lens. It simply shatters the sharpness from any other wide angle lens I have ever tested wide open and at f/2.8 it is amazing. By f/2.8 it is easily, by a wide margin, the sharpest wide angle I have ever tested across the entire frame. At f/2.8 it is sharper in the extreme corners than the Nikon 24mm f/1.4 is in the center, it is even better than the Sigma 24 f/1.4 Art at f/2.8!  I am stunned by the sharpness of this lens, like nothing I have ever seen in a wide angle lens.  Wow, it's crazy good!  I would have zero hesitance in using this lens wide open and I never use lenses wide open :)
So do I surmise correctly that this lens would be great for astro photography?
No because I dodn't test coma.  It may or may not be.  the astro sites are better at that than I am.

by Neilyb on Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:23 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
E.J. After some photos of my daughter yesterday, at f2.8, I am noticing some serious colour fringing in the OOF areas. Not sure I have a copy on me, I can post examples tonight. It is a sharp lens but those OOF colours are really bothering me and correcting them is a problem.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:51 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Neilyb wrote:E.J. After some photos of my daughter yesterday, at f2.8, I am noticing some serious colour fringing in the OOF areas. Not sure I have a copy on me, I can post examples tonight. It is a sharp lens but those OOF colours are really bothering me and correcting them is a problem.
After reading what you wrote earlier this morning I waited until daylight (it's just 8:00AM here) and did some tests and while I can't find anyting objectionable or any gross problem, I do see, on very sharp high contrast edges that are thrown out of focus a very very slight green fringe.  However both Adobe and Capture One seems to eliminate it with their lens profiles.

While on lens profiles, Adobe seems to really overcook the general lens corrections and Phase One seems to underdo them.

by Neilyb on Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:04 pm
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Here are two crops at f2.8, sorry i could not upload earlier.

http://1drv.ms/1WnTU8y - please click on the view original button.

It is the higher contrast edges but correcting cause other areas in focus to shift too and is a bit annoying. I actually find using either Lens profile correction or remove Chromatic Abberation make zero difference the fringing and LR is seeing the Batis 25mm correctly.

Could be that the A7rII works differently to my A7r. Would love some feedback please, could be I am being too choosy?

23 posts |