« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:25 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
An old Nikon lens I used to be fascinated with when I first started shooting:

http://nikon.com/about/feelnikon/recoll ... /index.htm

Most modern photographers have probably never imagined such a beast existed for sale to the general public not long ago! Note how the barrel rotated to do verticals! Quite interesting.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Tombenson on Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:10 am
Tombenson
Forum Contributor
Actually got to shoot a few photos with one when I was in High School. I was at an air show at the local AFB where the Thunderbirds were performing. I noticed a group of military guys a few hundred past the end of the spectator area with cameras and what looked like a small mortar on a tripod. Stupid kid me wandered down and after they looked me over they introduced themselves as military photographers there to shoot pics for some official material.

What I assumed was a mortar was a 1200-1700 zoom. They had it on a tripod that can only be described as looking as if it was made from tractor parts. But it had some rudimentary gimbal sort of gadget that required a hand crank to move it.

After talking with them a bit one of them noticed I had a Nikon FM2n around my neck. He offered to let me mount my camera on the lens and they would take a few shots with it. Cool! And then they aimed the lens at a plane on the runway about a 1/4 mile away and let me take a few shots.

Unfortunately the photos/negatives have been long lost in one of my divorces. But it was a HUGE kick in the pants for me and raised my opinion of military photogs to godlike. I went back to that air show for years afterwards but never saw them with that huge zoom again.

by DChan on Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:22 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
That was then. We have now P600 and P900, with the latter giving you a perspective equivalent to a 2000mm.

83x Superzoom

100% crop at 2000mm

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:12 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
No comparison between them and the super-telephoto on a full frame sensor!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by DChan on Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:36 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:No comparison between them and the super-telephoto on a full frame sensor!

Joe
Other than the perspective, probably. Not saying they're the same thing.

Some of you should lighten up a bit sometimes.

by Steve Cirone on Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:51 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
Piece of cake.  Notice his "wide angle" 600mm on his shoulder.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:27 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
The bazooka and the sidearm!

Joe

7 posts |