Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 16 posts | 
by Greenguy33 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:37 am
Greenguy33
Forum Contributor
I first day with the R1 has been disappointing. I have read all the manuals and I have a Nikon D800 "bible" that explains the set-up.
Looking at the images, it looks like the SB-R200 flash heads aren't putting out any significant light. All the light is coming from the pop-up flash (which I thought I turned off using "--" symbol in Commander mode. I have the channel and group all at the same letter and number.
Should my D800 be in Manual mode? I fired off some test shots at 1/320sec @ f/8.

by dougc on Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:41 am
dougc
Forum Contributor
Get the SU 800 Command unit and your problems will all go away.

by Greenguy33 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:00 am
Greenguy33
Forum Contributor
dougc wrote:Get the SU 800 Command unit and your problems will all go away.
Hmm, even though my D800 is supposed to be compatible with the R1?
Is this what you have?

by Anthony Medici on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:35 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I wouldn't try using the SB-R200's at over sync speed to start out with. At 1/320 @ F8, you're over sync speed.
Tony

by Greenguy33 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:15 am
Greenguy33
Forum Contributor
Anthony Medici wrote:I wouldn't try using the SB-R200's at over sync speed to start out with. At 1/320 @ F8, you're over sync speed.

Thanks! It looks like 1/250sec will work. I thought I could use the 1/320sec option.

by dougc on Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:44 pm
dougc
Forum Contributor
Greenguy33 wrote:
Is this what you have?

The camera is compatible but the SU 800 doesn't require the use of the pop up flash (which is a total pain IMHO).

by Greenguy33 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:37 pm
Greenguy33
Forum Contributor
dougc wrote:
Greenguy33 wrote:
Is this what you have?

The camera is compatible but the SU 800 doesn't require the use of the pop up flash (which is a total pain IMHO).
Thanks!

by DChan on Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:11 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
dougc wrote:
Greenguy33 wrote:
Is this what you have?

And the reason that she found not enough light coming out of the little flashs had nothing to do with the SU 800 or the pop-up flash.

by Greenguy33 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:19 pm
Greenguy33
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:
dougc wrote:
Greenguy33 wrote:
Is this what you have?

And the reason that she found not enough light coming out of the little flashs had nothing to do with the SU 800 or the pop-up flash.
I found that one reason was that I didn't assign each flash unit its own group.

by DChan on Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:59 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Greenguy33 wrote:
DChan wrote:
dougc wrote:
Greenguy33 wrote:
Is this what you have?

Perhaps, but you can have all of them work in the same group or separately. This sounds cliche's but reading the manual should help you. Also, do a search on Youtube may also help.

by Greenguy33 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:06 pm
Greenguy33
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:
Greenguy33 wrote:
DChan wrote:
dougc wrote:
Greenguy33 wrote:
Is this what you have?

Perhaps, but you can have all of them work in the same group or separately. This sounds cliche's but reading the manual should help you. Also, do a search on Youtube may also help.
Thanks. I did go through the manual a few times. It's not filled with much troubleshooting information. I was surprised that You Tube has very little R-1 info.

by dougc on Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:57 pm
dougc
Forum Contributor
Get a copy of "The Nikon Creative Lighting System" by Mike Hagen from rocky nook Nikonins Press. Very good info here. By the way, you cannot "turn off" the pop up flash when using the R1 system.

Last edited by dougc on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Greenguy33 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:58 pm
Greenguy33
Forum Contributor
dougc wrote:Get a copy of "The Nikon Creative Lighting System" by Mike Hagen from rocky nook Nikonins Press. Very good info here.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will get a copy!

by DChan on Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:02 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Well, the manual may not have much trouble-shooting info, but it does tell you how to use the system correctly.

If you want to use the macro flash system for some table-top photography, it's good idea to consider getting a third SB-R200 flashlight.

To find some Youtube video on that flashlight system, try "R1C1" instead of "R1". "C" stands for that commander unit. There're things you can do easier with the commander unit, but a lot can be done without it, too. You just have to adjust the settings using the camera manual.

by Len Romanick on Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:58 pm
Len Romanick
Forum Contributor
You didn't say what you were shooting, how far the subject is from the lens, whether the flashes are on the ring, on stands, diffused or not, or if you are using alkaline or rechargeable batteries in the units, and a bunch of other questions I can think of, including: What are trying to accomplish?

You don't need the SU-800 unit. Spend your money on the SB-910 which will be more versatile since it is a flash and can also be a commander. I don't have an SU-800 and I have no problems, but you do need to set up correctly and need to use the popup flash IR shield if you are not using the commander unit or another flash that can act as a commander. 

You are doing the right thing turning off the the popup flash as an actual light source, but it must be up and operating to send the IR signal to the flash units in the absence of another commander. But if it is not shielded, its long duration may easily overlap the the duration of the flash units that have a shorter flash duration even at full power than the popup. And the popup may cast a lens shadow depending on the length of the lens you using.

As for getting additional SB-200 units: Master what you have before adding additional complexity. Besides, I can't find a source of new (and warrantied) units from the usual sources because there appears to be a long on-going factory production backlog and everyone is out of stock.

If you would like specific help without all this annoying re-quoting, contact me privately. You can recap for the group later.
Len Romanick
LensAfield

by dougc on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:22 am
dougc
Forum Contributor
"You are doing the right thing turning off the the popup flash as an actual light source, but it must be up and operating to send the IR signal to the flash units in the absence of another commander. But if it is not shielded, its long duration may easily overlap the the duration of the flash units that have a shorter flash duration even at full power than the popup. And the popup may cast a lens shadow depending on the length of the lens you using."

Very good reasons why an SU800 will simplify use and improve results.

16 posts |