Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 35 posts | 
by Tim Zurowski on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:09 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Does anyone know where these can be purchased within Canada? In what ways is the Harbor Digital Flash Extender better than the typical Better Beamer?

Thanks
Tim

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:18 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Wider coverage and no ambiguity about exactly where the lens is mounted in relationship to the flash tube.  Remove the inner lens when you find one.

The Camera Store in Calgary is listed as a dealer of their products on their website:
http://www.harbordigitaldesign.com/reta ... tners.aspx

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:30 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Tim

Hope I am not giving an opinion where it is not wanted.  You asked in what ways the HBFE was better than the BB.  I just googled this and bumped into one aspect of the HBFE that is NOT better than the BB.  Personally, I know nothing about the HBFE, but I sure do like the fact that my BB strips apart and folds flat.  It does what I want for little money and is very simple.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho ... ?t=1244338

Robert

by Tim Zurowski on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:42 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
EJ, what does taking the inner lens out accomplish? I assume it is easy to remove? Are you liking yours better than the BB?

I checked The Camera Store and they do not list that item. So I have sent them an email asking if they do carry them and how much they are in Canada. It appears if I order two from B&H, I can get "free shipping" to Canada (i.e. orders over $99). I may see if a friend wants to get one as well.

by Larry Shuman on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:41 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
With the Harbor Digital you will not fry the AF-assist illuminator When your rig is facing the sun or when you are carrying it facing the sun. Using the better Beamer I have found in the very near past burn marks on the Illuminator face. IF left in the sun unattended ( lunch, bathroom break) some have found  their flash units smoking while using the Better Beamer. I use SB-900's so I got the HD unit and have no problem with the sun. When I was using the SB-800's and BB I noticed burn marks on both strobes.

Cheers
Larry

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:21 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Tim Zurowski wrote:EJ, what does taking the inner lens out accomplish? I assume it is easy to remove? Are you liking yours better than the BB?
It's a diffuser that isn't necessary for the types of things people here shoot.

by mikeojohnson on Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:59 pm
mikeojohnson
Lifetime Member
Member #:00374
I like it better but it is a pain to pack.
mike
"Photography intensifies the experience of life"
http://www.mojphoto.com

by ChrisRoss on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:03 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
I have one, main advantage is that it is not a "better burner" you can't burn holes in anything. Light may be a bit more even as well, but hard to pick if you are using flash correctly (i.e. it's hard to tell if you used fill flash).
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Tim Zurowski on Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:51 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
So far the only place I can find these extenders in Canada is from Amazon.ca and they want $94. The US price converted to Canadian should be around $70. I'll keep searching or look for a used one.

by Alan Murphy on Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:19 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Tim, I use the Harbor and have for a couple of years now. The main reason is for flash alignment. The beam of light does not drop below your target using the Harbor.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by Dizzy on Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:59 pm
Dizzy
Forum Contributor
Alan Murphy wrote:Tim, I use the Harbor and have for a couple of years now. The main reason is for flash alignment. The beam of light does not drop below your target using the Harbor.
Alan, EJ..... do you use it with or without the diffuser? I use the diffuser with certain species and find I get less "steel eye" and softer light especially when used as a extended gentle fill.  I love it compared to the harshness of the BB. I also hated that velcro...
National Geographic Society (Retired)

Arts N Images ---- Bird and Blooms Blog

"You don't take a photograph, you make it." Ansel Adams

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:16 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
We both use it without as I indicated above ;)

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:21 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Gave up trying to find one in Canada. So I ordered one from Adorama today, which includes free shipping, duties and taxes for the price of $95 CDN.

by dougc on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:40 am
dougc
Forum Contributor
If anyone has discovered a convenient way to carry this thing, please let us know!

by Vivek on Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:31 pm
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
Tim, I wish I'd seen this earlier. I could've sent you one that I have for SB-900/910 if that's the flash you're using. I bought it by mistake. This is the best FE and I'm sure you'll like yours.
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

by Pompeio on Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:00 pm
Pompeio
Forum Contributor
Vivek wrote:Tim, I wish I'd seen this earlier. I could've sent you one that I have for SB-900/910 if that's the flash you're using. I bought it by mistake. This is the best FE and I'm sure you'll like yours.

Vivek
I may be interested in it if the price is reasonable.  let me know.

by jimbo on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:43 pm
jimbo
Forum Contributor
Larry Shuman wrote:With the Harbor Digital you will not fry the AF-assist illuminator When your rig is facing the sun or when you are carrying it facing the sun. Using the better Beamer I have found in the very near past burn marks on the Illuminator face. IF left in the sun unattended ( lunch, bathroom break) some have found  their flash units smoking while using the Better Beamer. I use SB-900's so I got the HD unit and have no problem with the sun. When I was using the SB-800's and BB I noticed burn marks on both strobes.

Cheers
Larry
Curious, what is there about the harbor digital design, that would prevent flash damage ? Thanks

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:29 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Two things, one it is a fully enclosed housing, second, the lens sits in a different place relative to the flash head. The BB when properly attached sits right at the point where light is focused on the body of the flash where the HD sits inside the focus point resulting in a much more diffuse beam of light coming back to the flash. The big problem with the BB is that light can go diagonally through the lens and hit the body of the flash. that can't happen with a fully enclosed unit and any of the plastic of the housing is too close to the lens to focus the light beam and generate enough heat to cause damage.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:16 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Just received my HB yesterday.  Have owned/used the BB for several years.  

HB is fully enclosed; BB is not.

According to my HB instructions you can damage your flash.  It seems to me if the sun is constantly entering the HB in reverse.....you will damage the flash

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:29 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:Just received my HB yesterday.  Have owned/used the BB for several years.  

HB is fully enclosed; BB is not.

According to my HB instructions you can damage your flash.  It seems to me if the sun is constantly entering the HB in reverse.....you will damage the flash
Not nearly as likely as BB since the lens is mounted inside it's focal length so rather than having a tightly concentrated small dot of light that can get very hot, it is a diffuse blur.

35 posts |