Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 38 posts | 
by Tim Zurowski on Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:14 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
After my last trip to CA, I have developed a serious right shoulder rotator cuff problem from carrying my tripod and lens. I have been carrying my gear the same way for 35 years, but I guess at my age now my body (shoulder) just cannot take it anymore. I am seeing a physio for the problem and she says it is about an 8 to 10 week recovery time (if things progress well) So I am looking at options for carrying my gear in the future. Has anyone ever used a shoulder pad like these ones?  http://www.oxmentoolco.com/The_Shoulder_Pad.php   Not sure if it will be the solution, but my physio seems to think it could help a lot.  I have tried carrying the gear on my left shoulder, but I can't seem to last long with it there and end up with it on my right shoulder for 95% of the time. Anyone else have similar issues and have any suggestions to save my shoulder?

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:02 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I try to switch it back and forth but end up on my left shoulder probably 80% of the time. I use the leg covers from lens coat and they give me enough padding. When using a Wimberley head, I place the lens 45 degrees down and lock it and then use the bottom of the lens mounting platform on my shoulder to which I have attached with double sided tape a pad.

by Tim Zurowski on Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:23 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I also have and use the Lens Coat covers, but it does not appear to be enough for my condition. :(

by photoman4343 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:33 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Hi Tim, You have my sympathy. I have had a torn rotator cuff fortunately fixed with physical therapy and no surgery. I have just completed another round of PT for acute tendonitis in my right arm (like tennis or golfer's elbow) from carrying my 500mm rig in my right hand. My physical therapist is recommending that I never carry it again over either shoulder. Nor does she recommend a backpack type case or harness for the 500mm. What she is recommending that I use a carrying strap/ device that goes across the front of my body like what you might use to carry a new baby. Right now I am researching slings and harnesses made by Cotton Carry and Black Rapid and Kirk and others. I have not found one yet that seems to be user friendly for a 500mm on a camera. If I do find one, the tripod will be on its own sling across my back. I am 72 and things just keep getting worse when it comes to carrying this stuff.

Joe
Joe Smith

by Tim Zurowski on Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:41 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Thanks Joe. My Physio has also told me that I probably should stop carrying it that way. I would be very interested in hearing what you end up doing with regards to carrying your gear. She does not think my rotator cuff is torn, but it could be. I also went through 1.5 years of therapy (including acupuncture) 4 years ago for tennis elbow in my right arm; also mostly from photography. I think a lot of it might be from just spending many hours with the arm in that one position.

by SeattleBirdMan on Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:42 pm
SeattleBirdMan
Forum Contributor
Tim, the way you position your arm and shoulder make make a big difference. The way many people carry a tripod over their should is with their elbow point out horizontally. The puts the shoulder joint in an unstable position where it is internally rotated. The right shoulder has the greatest stability when the arm is rotated clockwise which is considered external rotation.

So I would think if you could carry your tripod on your shoulder with your right elbow pointed down and focus on bringing it toward your body mid-line your rotator cuff would be in a better position. This You might talk through that with your PT.

Doug

by Mike Veltri on Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:59 pm
Mike Veltri
Forum Contributor
Sherpa guide.... lol

I had a locked shoulder a few years back, very painful and it took time to heal.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:28 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I've been told by numerous doctors to stop carrying a tripod over my shoulders and to even stop with the heavy gear laden backpacks. My spine is not well and ultimately that is what is driving me to lighter and lighter gear even if it means some compromises.

by baldsparrow on Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:30 pm
baldsparrow
Forum Contributor
This is one answer - you hadly know you are carrying tripod and lens etc but they are instantly available when needed

http://www.ccfa-montreal.com/en/binoculars-and-optics/scope-harness2/harnais-pour-transport-de-lunette-et-trepied-detail

by ChrisRoss on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:12 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
I have not seen a good solution for this, a pad makes it more comfortable and prevents bruising, but the main problem with carrying that weight on your shoulder is that is not symmetrical and I don't see how a shoulder sling will fix that problem as the same force is being placed downwards on the shoulder, the only benefit will be that you can carry it with your arm down, but it is still around 10kg on one shoulder.

It seems to me the best solution is one that transfers weight to the hips. A backpack when correctly adjusted with a GOOD waist strap transfers most of the weight to the hips and the shoulder straps only stabilise and prevent it from tipping backwards. I have back problems, but find such an arrangement gives me no grief with 15kg backpack. Having said all that it's still no closer to a carry at the ready solution, I have seen nothing around that allows you to carry the weight of tripod mounted rig on your hips.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Tombenson on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:14 pm
Tombenson
Forum Contributor
http://www.amazon.com/Eckla-Multi-Rolly ... Photo+cart

Is it pretty? No. Convenient. Sorta. Does it help me schelp gear along with a T7 vertebrae fracture and a torn rotator cuff? Yes!

If you dont wanna spend that much (and i admit i paid no where near that for mine) go to the local Goodwill and buy a used baby jogger. Same idea. And in an earlier conversation about these some one said they would never submit their precious gear to such bouncing. Me, i dont baby my equipment. But you can lower the pressure in the tires and eliminate that worry. Frankly i would rather it be in a cart than on my back when I tumble down a ditch like I did last week at Hatteras.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:21 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
ChrisRoss wrote:I have not seen a good solution for this, a pad makes it more comfortable and prevents bruising, but the main problem with carrying that weight on your shoulder is that is not symmetrical and I don't see how a shoulder sling will fix that problem as the same force is being placed downwards on the shoulder, the only benefit will be that you can carry it with your arm down, but it is still around 10kg on one shoulder.

It seems to me the best solution is one that transfers weight to the hips.  A backpack when correctly adjusted with a GOOD waist strap transfers most of the weight to the hips and the shoulder straps only stabilise and prevent it from tipping backwards.  I have back problems, but find such an arrangement gives me no grief with 15kg backpack.  Having said all that it's still no closer to a carry at the ready solution, I have seen nothing around that allows you to carry the weight of tripod mounted rig on your hips.
Triceratops mode fixes that.  Splay out the legs and put one on each shoulder with the other one going up into the sky :mrgreen:

A backpack doesn't work for bird photographers in the field ;)  You need to have everything ready all the time and be able to take the shot in seconds.

by Tim Zurowski on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:29 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Thanks guys . . . . all good helpful info, which I need to do more research on. Baldsparrow, that shoulder harness looks interesting and possible to me. Using a cart or pulley system is not an option for me. This last trip I had to have my gear ready to shoot at an instant and was hiking up canyon walls over huge boulders in Anza Borrego Park.

I have no problem with using a backpack, but I need to find a way to carry my gear in the "ready to shoot" position. I have a Kibuku Bag and a Think Tank Streetwalker Pro. The Streetwalker Pro works great (very comfortable) for hiking around with my 500 VR, couple of bodies, TC and few small items. It is great when I do not need to be ready to shoot, but so much of these trips are on the go while you are shooting, and there is really no other way then to have your stuff on the tripod ready to shoot. So far, that shoulder harness system looks the most promising. :)

by signgrap on Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:54 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
I second the recommendation of carrying as much weight as you can on your hips - NOTHING ON YOUR BACK / SHOULDER.
I had major back surgery in 2012 which was brought about by sciatica that lasted for 8 months of pain and not being able to stand erect for over 8 months as my back was bent at a 45 degree angle. Surgery went well but now I'm doing what E.J. has done - going smaller/lighter with a a7R. Not a solution for bird/wildlife photographers unfortunately.

What would I do? I'd search out a good belt system and see if you can modify it to carry the weight of tripod/camera.
I'd contact the major belt manufacturers and maybe Greg Downing here on NSN and see is anyone is willing to design a system for carrying these heavy cameras/tripods with the weight supported by your hips not your shoulders and back.

I'm willing to bet that back/shoulder issues will cause many photographers here on NSN to modify what they are doing because as we age, we just can not continue to do what we did when we were younger. 

Dick Ludwig

by pleverington on Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:36 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Tim have you tried this yet?

http://essentialphotogear.com/shop/medium-pod-pad/

It really helps with the tripod digging into the shoulder, but if I was you, I would make a serious custom version of this item that really fit your needs, even if it cost you hundreds with a seamstress. But you could use some scrap closed cell flexible foam sometimes used in packaging as it's tough, and then surround that with memory foam maybe that would compress and shape itself to your body and in all likelihood provide some "locking in position effect". Slip everything into a custom pouch of tough cordura with a zipper enclosure and you'll have your best over the shoulder solution for comfort and weight distribution. You could even shape the pouch in a kidney shape that goes somewhat around your neck.

Let's face it--- tripod with big lens on it and over the shoulder is the best way to carry for purposes of being ready to get that spur of the moment shot.

In your case take some time and do the therapy your doc has you on. After that get on a real deal weight lifting and stretching regimen. Most people with back and other mechanical problems are suffering because of weak and soft muscles and wimpy tendons and ligaments give little support to help the joints out .

My years of carrying uncountable numbers of roofing shingle packs and rolls have helped be immensely with carrying weight over the right shoulder as that area became so tough. Most live rather sedentary lifestyles with not enough strength building exercise these days. Not sure about you....just saying..

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

by photoman4343 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:42 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Dick, your comments about not on your back/shoulder is probably the same reason my PT does not want me to use a backpack for my 500mm. She likes the idea of a strap that is over the shoulder and crosses the front of your body in a diagonal like the black rapid straps. However, she wants the lens across my chest, not at the side, probably to relieve stress on the back and to even out the weight to prevent any hip/knee problems from walking with too much weight at one side or the other.

In the field, I use a used BabyJogger. It has a torn seat, but that maked no difference as my Kiboko bag fits snuggly into the seat. I usually strap my tripod and 500mm on top of that with bungee cords. I got the baby jogger for $5.00. Improvise and get creative.

Joe Smith
Joe Smith

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:13 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
pleverington wrote:Tim have you tried this yet?

http://essentialphotogear.com/shop/medium-pod-pad/
Thanks Paul

It is not clear from the link how you actually carry the gear with this pad on the tripod? It appears that you would carry it with the tripod legs open and upright. Is that correct? Carrying the gear that way does not work for me, other than short distances on even ground. The places I go, it is impossible.

But back to my original post and link. Has no one seen or used those shoulder pads that are designed for construction workers? They are designed to carry loads of lumber, pipes, etc over your shoulder and apparently work quite well for that purpose. I may just have to buy one to test it out and let everyone know if it works well.

With regards to fitness, I would say I am well above average in that aspect. I do weight training at a gym and ride a road bike 30 to 50km at a time. My strength and endurance is good; it is my aging tendons and ligaments that are faltering. Carrying camera gear for long periods like I tend to do, is basically repetitive strain injury. It can happen to anyone at any age, but naturally more likely as we get older. I am 62 now and I suspect it is not going to get any better. What really has me confused after this last trip though is that I have done the same for over 30 years and on every trip, and have never had it cause me this much pain and discomfort before. I guess just a year older is enough :)

by Robert Royse on Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:36 pm
Robert Royse
Forum Contributor
Those shoulder pads look great for carrying big tripod mounted lenses over the shoulder. I just ordered one myself. Hopefully they do work well. The wheeled carts look like a good way to take lots over dry even paths, but more often that not I find myself walking through snow, mud, or sand or bushwhacking through weedy fields, long grass, marsh edges, or steep terrain where wheels would be a problem.  There is just no substitute for being ready to go with with the over the shoulder method.
Bob Royse
http://www.roysephotos.com

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:06 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Rob, are you saying you ordered one of the shoulder pads that I originally linked to, or the Essential Photo gear tripod mount? I would really love to hear how it works for you :)

For the same reason you mention, a cart is really not an option for me. Besides, I have no trouble with a backpack when I am just transporting my gear from point A to point B.

by Robert Royse on Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:36 pm
Robert Royse
Forum Contributor
I ordered the one from the Oxmen Tool Co. that you linked above. It looks like it would at least be much more effective than the simple pipe insulation I keep on my tripod legs now. It would be something I could just keep in the car for whenever I feel like going on a long hike with the big lens. It also wouldn't add much weight to a suitcase when traveling by air. It appears to be simple to use and won't get in the way of anything I do. I'll let you know how I like it.

The other one that fits on the tripod never really interested me too much. It looks like it could be a hassle to use when you need to open the tripod legs for getting down low.
Bob Royse
http://www.roysephotos.com

38 posts |