Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 24 posts | 
by Greenguy33 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:36 pm
Greenguy33
Forum Contributor
I want to get a backpack that stills has room to add lenses (and maybe another body). I have bought 2 bags already that aren't big enough for my gear. The largest one is the LowePro Flipside 400AW.
How do you guys think of the GuraGear 32L? The Mindshift 180 Pro looks good, but I don't like that I have to pay more to get the compartment for the upper level. I think it should be part of the bag.

by Steve Cirone on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:52 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
This unit looks up to handling quite a bit of photo gear.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by Greenguy33 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:56 pm
Greenguy33
Forum Contributor
Steve Cirone wrote:
This unit looks up to handling quite a bit of photo gear.
That is exactly what I am looking for!

by Greenguy33 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:02 pm
Greenguy33
Forum Contributor
I just saw the Tenba32L backpack. How does it compare to GuarGear?

by Andrew_5488 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:04 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Greenguy33 wrote:I want to get a backpack that stills has room to add lenses (and maybe another body). I have bought 2 bags already that aren't big enough for my gear. The largest one is the LowePro Flipside 400AW.
How do you guys think of the GuraGear 32L? The Mindshift 180 Pro looks good, but I don't like that I have to pay more to get the compartment for the upper level. I think it should be part of the bag.
Check Pro Trekker from LowePro if you need gear only.
For mountaineering F-Stop might be good option.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:26 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
It will help if you state what equipment you want to accommodate. I have the LowePro Flipside 400. It is a relatively small bag compared to most of mine. I would consider it a small-medium bag overall.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Greenguy33 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:48 pm
Greenguy33
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:It will help if you state what equipment you want to accommodate. I have the LowePro Flipside 400. It is a relatively small bag compared to most of mine. I would consider it a small-medium bag overall.

Joe
Joe,
Thanks for the reply.
Ok, I would like to accommodate...

2 dslr bodies
70-200mm lens
150-600mm 
24-70mm
12-24mm
100mm macro
35mm
1 flash unit
cf tripod
plus lens pens, batteries, remote cord, sd cards, plus other small accessories

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:43 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here's a comparison chart for two LowePro bags:

http://store.lowepro.com/catalog/product_compare/index/

I quit carrying a lot of heavy equipment in one bag a while back. It was not easy on the back and I found it was better to carry two smaller bags, but that's personal choice. I use a Nature Trekker AWll and a roller bag that's similar in size. It's a ...350x. The 450 size is probably more appropriate for your equipment. The comparison charts on LowePro's site may give you an idea what their bags hold. I'm sure other companies have similar descriptions and comparisons available.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by billg71 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:49 pm
billg71
Forum Contributor
Greenguy33 wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:It will help if you state what equipment you want to accommodate. I have the LowePro Flipside 400. It is a relatively small bag compared to most of mine. I would consider it a small-medium bag overall.

Joe
Joe,
Thanks for the reply.

2 dslr bodies
70-200mm lens
150-600mm 
24-70mm
12-24mm
100mm macro
35mm
1 flash unit
cf tripod
I have the Gura 32L, you might be able to stuff all that into it but it would be a really tight fit. Depends on how big the 150-600 is and what you do with the lens hoods.

On my last trip I took the 400/2.8G, D4s, D810 w/grip, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200/4 and it was pretty well stuffed after TCs, batteries, remote, cards, filters, etc. were added. And the 400mm hood went into the checked bag, I carried rubber hoods for the other glass. Packed weight was 30.5 lb, about all I want to carry from one end of an airport to  the other.

I'd say something like the Lowepro Pro Trekker 650 AW at a minimum, although it's about 8 liters larger than the Bataflae 32L on the inside it's a lot bigger on the outside, it would be a chancy carry-on even on a full-sized jet. It's also almost 2 kilos heavier. But you didn't mention whether or not you wanted to fly with it so size and weight may not be a factor.

As for other brands I have no idea. But that's a lot of gear to fit into a backpack.

Good luck!

Bill

by Greenguy33 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:54 pm
Greenguy33
Forum Contributor
Thanks Bill!
I am thinking that I should seriously consider being selective about what to take with me on a hike. I just always think that the one lens I don't bring will be what I need for a shot. :)

by billg71 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:43 pm
billg71
Forum Contributor
Greenguy33 wrote:Thanks Bill!
I am thinking that I should seriously consider being selective about what to take with me on a hike. I just always think that the one lens I don't bring will be what I need for a shot. :)
Greenguy33,

Just keep in mind that where you shoot from can be just as important as what you shoot with. And sometimes you just can't get there with 40 lb of gear hanging off your back.

Google Galen Rowell for an example.

Best,
Bill

by Greenguy33 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:47 pm
Greenguy33
Forum Contributor
Thanks Bill, I will google Galen Rowell.

by Chas on Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:58 pm
Chas
Lifetime Member
Member #:00037
fstopgear Satori w/ XL Pro ICU

Best,

Chas
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

by tedculotta on Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:38 am
tedculotta
Forum Contributor
I concur on the f-stop gear Satori with XL Pro ICU. The other thing I like beyond its size is that when I travel, I can pull the ICU (and gear), put that in their Literoom roller to carryon planes, and put the Satori into a duffle (with tripod, clothes, personal effects, etc.) that gets checked as baggage. At destination, I can switch to the pack if needed. It's a great modular system.

Good luck in your search.

Cheers,
Ted
Ted Culotta
Madison, CT
tedculotta.com
instagram: @tcfap

by bradipock on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:17 am
bradipock
Forum Contributor
Greenguy33 wrote:

Joe
Joe,
Thanks for the reply.

2 dslr bodies
70-200mm lens
150-600mm 
24-70mm
12-24mm
100mm macro
35mm
1 flash unit
cf tripod
I use a GG Kiboko 30L, which is the predecessor to the 32L.  Mine holds 2 dslrs, 24-70, 70-200, 100-400 and 600II without hood (but I can get the hood in there), plus batteries, TCs, all the other stuff.  I've not seen the 150-600, but would assume it is smaller (length, width and weight) than my 600.  If that's the case, you can fit all of that in there comfortably.  Google pictures of the 32L and you'll get some ideas of how people configure it and how much they fit in one.

by Chas on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:49 am
Chas
Lifetime Member
Ted, 

I pull the fstopgear ICU as carry-on valet checking the roller when necessary. The XL Pro ICU fits in all commuter jet overheads without issue. Actually, the Satori, Tilopa, or Loka backpack with ICU will fit in commutter jet overheads. I carry a pic of my Satori in the CRJ overhead on my iph showing it to the gate agent if she is in doubt. 

Greenguy33,

Your gear will fit within the super light-weight Loka UL. The fstopgear website does not state this, but you can place a XL Pro ICU within the Loka bags...I do it all the time.

Chas
Charles Glatzer M.Photog, Canon Explorer of Light, https://about.me/charlesglatzer
Check out www.shootthelight.com for info on workshops, seminars, appearances, etc.
NSN 0037

by rajandesai on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:44 pm
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
Member #:01263
Chas,
Can you fit 600mm II in XL Pro ICU?

I have GuraGear bataflae 32L and I fit in 600mm II, 2 bodies, 70-200 f/4, Flash, TCs, 1-2 additional lenses easily.
I have never had issues carrying this as carry-on within US or abroad.

by tedculotta on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:13 pm
tedculotta
Forum Contributor
Rajan,

I'll answer for Chas... yes a 600mm II fits in the XL ICU, minus the hood.

Chas,

The only reason I keep the XL ICU in the Literoom roller is because it fits in the overhead bins and can be rolled through airports easily. When at home, I leave the "naked" XL ICU in the car, loaded with gear.

Cheers,
Ted
Ted Culotta
Madison, CT
tedculotta.com
instagram: @tcfap

by Chas on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:35 pm
Chas
Lifetime Member
Ted,

I use the Lightroom Roller often, but I cannot take it on commuter flts if flying other than 1st class. Hence, I pull the ICU as above and gate check the roller shell. This works perfect, and I get to take all my gear on board regarless of plane size. 

Chas... fstopgear Global Icon
NSN 0037

by Trev on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:44 pm
Trev
Forum Contributor
I to have a f-stop gear Satori with XL Pro ICU worked great for trekking in the Sumatran jungle for 10 days.
Trevor Penfold
Website http://www.trevorpenfold.com
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/trevorpenfoldphoto

24 posts |