« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 86 posts | 
by Larsen on Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:57 pm
Larsen
Forum Contributor
The directions for Lens Align say to use a working distance of between 25x and 50x the focal length. That means to calibrate my 80-400 f/5.6 lens at the 400mm, f/5.6 setting I’m looking at a Dof of about 7.9 inches at the minimum working distance of 33 feet. The lens align tool with the standard ruler is all but useless with such a large Dof - what would be the downside of using a much closer working distance, say 10 feet, to chop the Dof down to 1.5 or 2 inches so I can see where the zone of focus falls on the standard Lens Align ruler?
_

by bartley123 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:39 pm
bartley123
Forum Contributor
I think your depth of field calculation is off by quite a bit. It looks like the depth of field is about only 1 inch acording to this calculator.
http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
Don Cooper
Western Mass.
http://www.doncooper.photos

by Larsen on Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:38 pm
Larsen
Forum Contributor
Dan, I suspect you entered a wrong number, but I'd still like to hear from any of the tech savvy folks if they know why  such a high minimum working distance is recommended. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
_

by Trev on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:02 pm
Trev
Forum Contributor
Dan the distance lens align suggests is to ensure an improvement over all distances for general use of that lens, it wont be perfect at every distance but it should be improved. This is because AF adjustment can only be perfectly accurate at one distance. If you shoot most of the time at say 20ft then calibrate at 20ft but remember you may not get the best results when you then shoot at 40ft.

Hope that helps
Trevor Penfold
Website http://www.trevorpenfold.com
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/trevorpenfoldphoto

by Ed Cordes on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:06 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Good question re minimum distance for calibration. I always thought we were supposed to calibrate at the most used working distance.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Larsen on Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:31 am
Larsen
Forum Contributor
Thanks Trev, that makes sense. I wonder how much difference 10 or 20 feet in calibrating distance will make - only one way to find out! Thanks.
_

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:37 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
The other thing to consider is that there is really only one truly sharp plane, the one you've focussed on. DOF is just a zone of acceptable sharpness. I found that out the hard way doing astrophotography. You would think using a ultra wide angle lens focussed at infinity would be simple as our DOF tables may suggest, but there is only one spot where it's in focus. DOF is of no help.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:44 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Scott is right and that is exactly why the small ruler works just fine with a 400mm lens at the recommended distance of 25 times the focal length or 10 meters. You will clearly see the image going soft in front of and behind the plane of critical focus.

by Larsen on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:35 pm
Larsen
Forum Contributor
EJ,. would you be happy with this? (80-400 at 400mm,  f/5.6, 10meters, 100% view, -02 micro adjustment)
_

by Craig Browne on Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:01 pm
Craig Browne
Forum Contributor
Nothing seems sharp to me , maybe try using flash?

by DChan on Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:20 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
I wonder what the result would be if the same shot was taken in live view mode using contrast detection AF.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:25 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Not nearly big enough to make a judgement. I would have to see the original file. It looks to me like some camera shake kept the whole thing from being sharp.

by George Whalen on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:50 pm
George Whalen
Forum Contributor
If you are a wildlife shooter at what distance should you use to adjust a 300mm f/2.8 lens?(subjects are at different distances), and should you include your teleconverters in the adjustments?

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:55 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Each combination of TCs and lens and lens alone should be done individually.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Craig Browne on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:05 pm
Craig Browne
Forum Contributor
So for the 300mm it would be 7.5 meters or at the distance you are mostly shooting at ?

by Doug Brown on Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:07 am
Doug Brown
Forum Contributor
Member #:01836
Here's my take. This notion that you have to go out and microadjust every lens and TC combo that you own is both incorrect and a complete waste of time! I've owned multiple copies of a number of Canon supertelephoto lenses and quite a few different bodies, and there's only one time that I've had to microadjust a camera-lens combination. Reserve microadjustment for times when you're having reproducible problems with focus. Almost every other pro photographer I know feels exactly the same way I do.

by Trev on Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:29 am
Trev
Forum Contributor
Doug Brown wrote:Here's my take. This notion that you have to go out and microadjust every lens and TC combo that you own is both incorrect and a complete waste of time! I've owned multiple copies of a number of Canon supertelephoto lenses and quite a few different bodies, and there's only one time that I've had to microadjust a camera-lens combination. Reserve microadjustment for times when you're having reproducible problems with focus. Almost every other pro photographer I know feels exactly the same way I do.
Your right Doug, I guess most assumed that there has been an issue in the focusing hence the test to see if there is a problem. If your getting the results you want, like you say why bother testing it. My 500mm plus extender needed a bit of calibrating but the 500mm by itself is fine.
Trevor Penfold
Website http://www.trevorpenfold.com
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/trevorpenfoldphoto

by DChan on Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:12 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
Trev wrote:
Doug Brown wrote:Here's my take. This notion that you have to go out and microadjust every lens and TC combo that you own is both incorrect and a complete waste of time! I've owned multiple copies of a number of Canon supertelephoto lenses and quite a few different bodies, and there's only one time that I've had to microadjust a camera-lens combination. Reserve microadjustment for times when you're having reproducible problems with focus. Almost every other pro photographer I know feels exactly the same way I do.
Your right Doug, I guess most assumed that there has been an issue in the focusing hence the test to see if there is a problem. If your getting the results you want, like you say why bother testing it. My 500mm plus extender needed a bit of calibrating but the 500mm by itself is fine.
+1.

I just adjusted my 500+1.4TC because that combo is clearly useless without the adjustment. Using pretty much the method that Roger suggests on his webpage, I got a result that, IMO, is good enough for all practical purposes.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:39 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
You probably own newer Canon gear or if not you may be lucky or you may just not be as critical as some.  The latest Canon gear from the 1Dx on and the new Mk II telephotos rarely need much adjustment at all although usually 1 or 2 points one way or the other does maximize sharpness but granted that's minimal and in real world photography situations doen's make that much difference.  But the generalization that it's a waste of time is not accurate:  Older Canon lenses tend to need quite a bit of adjustment.  Also newer cameras with higher pixel density tend to be more critical of focus in order to get the most out of the sensor (just wait until those 50mp Canon bodies come out).  On the Nikon side, life is nowhere near as good with almost all lens/camera combos needing some adjustment and many needing drastic adjustment.  The 500 f/4 VR with a 1.4x with any Nikon body, for example, in the vast majority of cases is completely incapable of making sharp photos without a huge adjustment, often right to the edge of what can be done in camera and sometimes the combo would still need more adjustment.  Almost all third party lenses need a very significant amount of adjustment to be able to render sharp photos on either the Canon or Nikon platforms.

by Tim Zurowski on Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:22 am
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Totally agree with what EJ is saying. On my D800, my 500 VR needs to be near +20 and with the previous TC-14E II it needed to be above +20. My Sigma 150 Macro is -15 and my Tamron 24-70 is +17. The 300 f4 AFS is +7. If I tried to shoot all these lenses at zero, the results would be drastic.

Larson, with regards to the Lens Align, my test images come out close to what you are seeing. I find it extremely difficult to determine between -8, 0 and +8. To me it seems to be a guessing game using that tool.

86 posts |