Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Tim Zurowski on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:18 am
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Shooting for our first day down here in CA at Colusa NWR yesterday, and still finding my D7100 files to be too soft and lacking sharpness and details when viewed in View NX. So I decided to view them in Bridge, and to my surprise in Bridge they look sharper with more detail. I do the have sharpening turned off in View NX, but cannot find anywhere to apply or disengage sharpening in Bridge. Does Bridge apply any sharpening previews, and if yes, where do you turn it off?

Is it possible that since Nikon has discontinued View NX, that it is not able to display D7100 files correctly?  I am hoping that Bridge is not applying any sharpening and that my files are actually better than I have thought, and I can actually use this camera on this trip. :)  I have never had any problems with other bodies (D800, D700, D300, etc) before with View NX.

by hillrg on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:47 am
hillrg
Forum Contributor
Bridge does not know anything about your in-camera settings Tim. As you likely know, it is showing you a preview of the embedded jpg, which will have the in-camera settings. View NX will be processing the NEF I think. However, I have found the way Bridge renders files to be erratic and not to be trusted. Anyway, for one file, compare Bridge and View NX to photoshop to determine which one is working the way you want. I use PhotoMechanic, which I find to always be reliable.

Have fun down south!
Regards
Rory

by photoman4343 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:21 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Tim, The program to use is Nikon View NX2. The current version is 2.10.3, either the 64 bit version or the 32 bit version. You can download it for free from nikonusa. It supports D 7100 images.

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answer ... e#Anchor-1

If you want to sharpen or adjust a picture in View NX2, you have to launch Picture Control Utility from the "File" drop down list.

Joe Smith
Joe Smith

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:59 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Joe, I am using View NX2.

Thanks Rory. That tells me that View NX2 is the one that is accurate and my D7100 files are crap. This camera is going when I get home :(

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:04 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Joe, I am using View NX2.

Thanks Rory. That tells me that View NX2 is the one that is accurate and my D7100 files are crap. This camera is going when I get home :(

by Anthony Medici on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:04 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
Tim, do you have dropbox? Can you send me some of the RAW files that looked good in bridge. I'd like to take a look at the file with my machine. If you're willing to send some, drop me a pm and I'll tell you which email I use for dropbox.
Tony

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:11 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Hi Tony

I don't use Dropbox, but I do have an account with Hightail. I'll try to send them tomorrow night. I am at a Motel tonight with a connection that is worse than dial up. Can you send me an email to tzurowski AT shaw DOT ca with your email address to send them to. If not, I can send them when I get home in a couple of weeks.

Thanks

7 posts |