Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Dave Pluimer on Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:50 am
Dave Pluimer
Forum Contributor
I am wondering how many of you use ballast with your tripod and if so, how often? Every time? Only in certain conditions? Only with certain equipment.

It's one thing I've not yet done because I haven't sensed the need. But, the more I take long exposures, the more I'm thinking if I should or not?

by fredcor on Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:10 pm
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
Long exposure Macro almost always as the tripod is not usually evenly balanced depending on leg extension to achieve the best macro angle. Landscape or Telephoto only on windy days. I find the hook at the bottom of my tripod very useful for hanging my belt pouch or sling pack or even backpack.

I use a smaller Induro Carbon for Macros mostly, and a larger Gitzo Carbon for telephoto.
Frederick Lat Correa

by Steve Cirone on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:12 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
If one is shooting in their yard or near their vehicle, it makes sense to use ballast.  But for strolling about photography, it doesn't make sense as less weight is always nice.

In the places I shoot with my 800mm rig I rarely take my hand off the tripod as I am often in mud or soft sand and the rig is continuously sinking.

For my macro challenge of not banging into the bush with the tripod and scaring off the critter, I shoot handheld with a ringlight so I can pull fast shutter speeds and not need a tripod.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

3 posts |