Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 17 posts | 
by Wildflower-nut on Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:39 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Has anyone had trouble with this bag as a carry on personal item?  United Airlines size limit is 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches and the mfg stated size of the Chobe is 15 x 11.5 x 8.5 expanded or 15 x 11.5 x 6 collapsed.  My guess is that it will pass unless they put it into a sizer and get the wrong agent but it is 1.5 inches over in one dimension (expanded or collapsed) and undersized in the other two.  Other airlines I'm sure have their own rules.

by Steven Major on Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:21 pm
Steven Major
Forum Contributor
Hi nut
I have not used that bag but have observed that different airlines have different carry on size rules. As well, some airlines have checked baggage limits on size, others weight, others both. I have also recently noticed that carry on bag size limits are routinely violated without consequence. I guess size does matter but not as much as it used to. Good Luck.

by Steve Metildi on Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:48 pm
Steve Metildi
Lifetime Member
Member #:00266
Never within the past few years on numerous international flights, several US domestic flights, and several domestic flights within other countries.  Of course this can always change.  It's an excellent carry-on bag.

Steve

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:25 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The only US carriers that I know that measure your carry-on are Frontier and Allegiant. I have been told that Spirit does but I have no personal experience with that one.

by Wildflower-nut on Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:04 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Steve Metildi wrote:Never within the past few years on numerous international flights, several US domestic flights, and several domestic flights within other countries.  Of course this can always change.  It's an excellent carry-on bag.

Steve
I agree.  I like its layout.  Wish the handle was a little more padded but overall looks great.  I'm thinking of retiring my UD-60.

by Wildflower-nut on Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:13 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:The only US carriers that I know that measure your carry-on are Frontier and Allegiant.  I have been told that Spirit does but I have no personal experience with that one.
I'm not sure what united is doing.  When you get your boarding pass, you have to read their carry on sizes and agree to abide by it,  They seem to have put in a bunch of new sizing templates.  Not sure what all that may mean.

by Steven Major on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:05 am
Steven Major
Forum Contributor
I looked at the Chobe on line...looks great but I strongly urge you to get something with wheels. Save your energy and vertebra for better use. I use a 2 wheeled under seat bag I converted to safely hold my stuff. It can also be carried by it's handle or shoulder strap. I also find ways to pre board so I can more likely place my under seat bag (usually placed under the seat in front of me)in the above storage so my feet have a place to be during the flight.

by Wildflower-nut on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:08 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
STEVENMAJOR wrote:I looked at the Chobe on line...looks great but I strongly urge you to get something with wheels. Save your energy and vertebra for better use. I use a 2 wheeled under seat bag I converted to safely hold my stuff. It can also be carried by it's handle or shoulder strap. I also find ways to pre board so I can more likely place my under seat bag (usually placed under the seat in front of me)in the above storage so my feet have a place to be during the flight.
I agree.  When traveling for photography, I piggy back it on the thinktank international roll aboard.  When traveling for other reasons, I piggy back it on an overnight bag.  If I have neither it becomes a real chore.  I'm getting too old to lug this stuff all over the place particularly when loaded up with camera equipment.

by rnclark on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:17 am
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
Wildflower-nut wrote: I'm not sure what united is doing.  When you get your boarding pass, you have to read their carry on sizes and agree to abide by it,  They seem to have put in a bunch of new sizing templates.  Not sure what all that may mean.
Yes, but I've never seen them enforce it or even check it.

Roger
(million+ paid miles on United)

by Greg Downing on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:31 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
I have traveled all over the world with the Chobe and have never had an issue with the size. I used to use a TT UD 60 for years before switching to the Chobe which I find more thought out and better organized.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by photoman4343 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:05 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I use my Chobe regularly on United Airlines as a carry on bag. It has never been challenged by UA as a carry on even when UA has full flights and knows that the overheads will be full and they gate check wheeled carry ons for "free." I have noticed that UA is giving wheeled carry ons more scrutiny before you board than just a year ago.  My recommendation for US domestic travel is to make sure you always board in an early group to make sure you have a chance at the overhead space and to make sure your wheeled or unwheeled carry on does not look to big or to heavy. Air travel these days is just one big game and you need to know how to make the rules work for you. 

Joe Smith
Joe Smith

by Wildflower-nut on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:42 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Sounds like I can relax and just remember to get to the airport early.

by Vivek on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:25 pm
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
I use this bag for travel on United extensively within the US and abroad (mostly Japan). Absolutely no issues so far.

I got this bag as a gift and used the TT UD60 earlier which I retired in favor of this bag. I use it as my everyday office bag and I think it is a good bag but is overpriced. I would *never* buy it myself for the cost. The price / performance is just not there. That being said, it can hold a ton of stuff expanded.

-- Vivek
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

by Vivek on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:27 pm
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
Wildflower-nut wrote:Sounds like I can relax and just remember to get to the airport early.
And check in 24 hours before the flight to get a better position in the boarding line. You can also *pay* (ahem) for priority boarding. Usually 29$ or so for local flights. 
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

by Wildflower-nut on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:56 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Well a new twist today at O'Hare airport. United has their templates and two agents wanting to check your carry on BEFORE SECURITY as well as at the gate. Didn't measure anything but they are obviously trying to grab as much of this stuff as they can and check it.

I've got priority status (fly a lot) with the airline which helps on boarding early. The only time I got "screwed" was on a late connecting flight. Every one else had boarded (overheads full) and I had to stay overnight or check my camera equipment as baggage (not plane side check and no I could not talk to the stewardess). Spent the night in Denver. Lesson, allow more time between connecting flights (1.5 hours was apparently not enough)

by signgrap on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:50 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
We have traveled in mid-December for the last 18 years and you can't believe what people carry-on the plane.
Every year it seems people are carrying on more stuff each year as no one wants to check their bags.
If you board late there isn't any more room in the overhead compartment and stuff gets sent below.
I can understand why they are now trying to scare people into checking bags.
This is becoming more common place because now almost all planes are at 100% capacity; as the airlines can't make a profit if the planes aren't full.
Dick Ludwig

by neverspook on Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:34 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
If they want people to check bags, they should charge for carryon bags and not for checked bags. People carry on stuff that could be checked because they don't want to pay to check a bag, leaving less space for things like camera gear that really can't be checked.
I would gladly pay a fee for carryon luggage for the peace of mind of knowing that my camera gear will get in the cabin without so much worry and stress.

Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com

17 posts |