« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by mannus on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:49 pm
mannus
Forum Contributor
The 600 F4 VR has a drop in 52 mm filter slot. Nikon ships this lens with its own clear filter. I recall reading on some forums or web sites that this is probably not the best filter that can be used in the lens and by changing this to a better one, there is a noticeable increase in sharpness and contrast especially wide open.

Has any one tried this for themselves and what are the better filters out there to try this.

Thanks in advance.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:16 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It's easy to change the filter but the comments that the filter isn't good aren't accurate. I would just leave it be as I have done on my 500 f/4. The optical design is for a clear filter and the Nikon one supplied is just fine. At that price point if Nikon could put a better one in that would make a material difference in the MTF curves, they would.

by Anthony Medici on Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:48 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
The only time I've ever replaced the clear Nikon filter in one of the long lenses was in the D2H era, when the camera sensor was impacted by IR/UV light. So I had picked up an IR Cut filter to put in the lens, taking the Nikon one out. I still have that filter in one of my lenses simply because I have it and it has never given me a problem. If something were to happen to it, I'd go back to the Nikon filter rather than trying to replace it. I think trying to find a clear filter as good as the Nikon would be difficult and the IR cut filter costs significantly more than the clear one and it just isn't needed anymore with the better internal glass they are using on the sensors.
Tony

3 posts |