All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Vertigo on Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:02 am
Vertigo
Forum Contributor
Hi,

I purchased a (second) 5d mark II last week.
After still photography testing, it seemed to work well.
But yesterday night I tried to shoot a video in manual mode and was surprised that I had not control over shooting parameters. Exposure of the video continued to adapt to light changes, even though I was in M mode, auto-iso disabled.
Went to the menu, saw that firmware was quite old (1.1.0).
I was planning to update the firmware, but when I tried to power the camera again, it refused to turn on, simple as that.
Since then I tried with a fully charged battery, with another battery, changing lenses, even removed the clock battery, nothing happens. At all. Even the red led does not light when placing a battery.

This morning I took a look at firmware history, and read that firmware 1.1.0, released in 2009, in fact allowed manual video shooting, thus I should have had control over video yesterday, just before the 5DII died. Don't know what happened.

Any advice on what to do will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Manu.

by Neilyb on Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:29 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Well if the "2 different batteries and reset using the small battery" trick did not work it is dead. Do not think there is anything else you can do but leave it a day or two and try again.

by Vertigo on Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:36 am
Vertigo
Forum Contributor
Thanks Neil

What is the trick exactly ? is there a specific order to remove batteries / CF card ?

If I leave it alone for a resurection, should I leave it with or without the two batteries / CF card inside ?

By dead you mean I should not even try to send it to Canon ?

First time I have a body dead, and my second daughter is coming in 15 days. "Merde !!"

by Neilyb on Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:01 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
I mean if you have tried 2 different batteries and removed all batteries, including the small one, then it is dead. Not dead dead, because you can send it to Canon of course. But dead as in not likely to start working by magic alone. :)

I would remove batteries, leave for a day then try again.

If your daughter is as French as mine then she is likely not to come out for 20 or so days ;)

4 posts |