« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Bill Chambers on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:35 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
My older Nikkor 28-70 has crashed - Nikon estimates $600 to repair and I don't know that it's a good decision to pay that much given the age of the lens.  I'm thinking about the new Tamron 24-70 with stabilization (I forget the Tamron tern for VR).  I very seldom handhold but I'm getting older and more shaky myself so the VR seems attractive for those few time when I do handhold.  I've read the reviews but does anyone have any actual experience with the Tamron lens.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Neilyb on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:39 pm
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
I only have the Canon version but it is a sharp lens especially for portraits at the longer end. VR is useful and extremely effective. Focus is quiet but not Canon fast. Sometimes it misses for no real reason, but the next shot will be fine. For the price especially, it is a great lens.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:49 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It's the best 24-70 on the market with a Nikon mount.

by Bill Chambers on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:14 pm
Bill Chambers
Forum Contributor
Thanks Neil & E.J. - That makes me feel much better.
Please visit my web site, simply nature - Photographic Art by Bill Chambers
Bill Chambers
Milton, Florida

by Neilyb on Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:04 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Build is not upto Canon or Nikon standards IMO but so long as you are not standing in the rain or playing football with your lens I don't see a problem with it. It is much better than older Tamron lenses.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:22 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Neilyb wrote:Build is not upto Canon or Nikon standards IMO but so long as you are not standing in the rain or playing football with your lens I don't see a problem with it. It is much better than older Tamron lenses.
That is a good point, when I said it was the best 24-70 with a Nikon mount I meant optically.  That's not to say that the build quality is bad, it uses lighter materials but it is certainly very good buld quality, just not as much metal as the highest end Nikon and Canon lenses.

6 posts |