« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Iain Campbell on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:05 pm
Iain Campbell
Lifetime Member
Member #:01718
Hi Everyone,

I have had four CF card readers break in a three month period. So what is the most durable card reader out there? I am about to fly from Ecuador to Namibia without a card reader and need to have one sent directly there.

Thanks,
Iain

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:31 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The deeper the slot, the less likely that the pins will get broken. The one from PixelFlash - USB 3 reader is one of the safer ones and is super compact. A better solution, if your camera supports it, is to go to SD cards which have no pins and most laptops have an SD reader built in.

by ChrisRoss on Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:42 am
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
I've got a Hoodman Steel reader seems to do a good job, cards seems to have a particularly snug fit, they must be precisely aligned to insert and also has a guard that pushes down when you insert the card to protect the pins. I haven't broken it yet :)
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by Jens Peermann on Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:23 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Iain Campbell wrote:Hi Everyone,

I have had four CF card readers break in a three month period. So what is the most durable card reader out there? I am about to fly from Ecuador to Namibia without a card reader and need to have one sent directly there.

Thanks,
Iain
I've had a SanDisk reader for more than six years. It's attached to the desktop and has never given me any trouble. A second reader has been residing for more than four years in my car for backing up on the road. I don't even know what brand it is since the printed logo came off. It has never given me any trouble either, although it was dirt cheap ($13 at Walmart).

The only time I had trouble was when pins bent in the 5D2 a few times. Easy to repair. Take a large sewing needle (those for heavy canvas) and use the ear to catch the bent pin and bend it back into position.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by photoman4343 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:19 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I have a Delkin USB 3 card reader that accepts multiple card sizes. It works perfectly with my CF cards. However, the slot that accepts SD and XC and HC cards does not work all the time. I am on my third one and all three have had problems with the SD slot. The USB 3 cable that comes with it is long and robust.

Joe Smith
Joe Smith

by Iain Campbell on Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:55 am
Iain Campbell
Lifetime Member
Member #:01718
Thanks for the help.

I have had the hoodman steel and the cble jack broke. I think that I will go with the Pixel flash. having one less cable to break.

Cheers,
Iain

6 posts |