All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 506 posts | 
by Neilyb on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:10 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Is now official.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1081808-REG/canon_9128b002_eos_7d_mark_ii.html

Seems the Nikon shooters wanting a D300 replacement are on the wrong wagon ;) Not sure about that sensor though, seems likely it will be the same performer as in the 70D...

by Markus Jais on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:15 am
Markus Jais
Lifetime Member
Member #:01791
Just deleted my post as Neil has been a few seconds faster :-)

What looks good:

- powerful AF
- AF up to f8 with central sensor
- 10fps

AF with f8 is great for many who use a 4/600 or 4/500 and a 2x.

On paper the specs look great and this is probably by far the most powerful APS-C camera for wildlife incl. birds that has ever been produced.

Will be interesting to read the first reviews of bird and mammal photographers using it in the field.
Might also be fantastic with 180 macro for insects.

Sensor performance incl. high ISO will be interesting to see once it is out in the field.

First impressions on dpreview:
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:26 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Looks like a very nice solid well featured body and includes things that the rumor sites said it wouldn't like WiFi and GPS built in which is great. I am disappointed that Canon continues to rehash old semiconductor technology sensors that are 3 whole process iterations behind the competition.

by Neilyb on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:31 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Rumour site said it would have GPS but not WiFi, seems like they are right because only Wifi reference I see on B&H is "A USB 3.0 terminal is available for expedited transfer speeds between the camera and a computer or the optional WFT-E7 (Version 2) for Wi-Fi connectivity." and that still costs 850$ !!! :o

But as always, sensor is a disappointment. I would have liked to see them lose the low pass filter...

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:33 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Neilyb wrote:Rumour site said it would have GPS but not WiFi, seems like they are right because only Wifi reference I see on B&H is "A USB 3.0 terminal is available for expedited transfer speeds between the camera and a computer or the optional WFT-E7 (Version 2) for Wi-Fi connectivity."  and that still costs 850$ !!! :o

But as always, sensor is a disappointment. I would have liked to see them lose the low pass filter...
LOL, the rumor sites couldn't even get the feature set right AFTER the announcement ;)

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:38 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Definitely a pro-featured camera:
20MP Dual-Pixel AF CMOS Sensor
10 fps continuous shooting with autofocus
65 all cross-type autofocus sensor
150,000 RGB pixel metering sensor
Dual Digic 6 processors
Enhanced environmental sealing
Compact Flash (UDMA) and SD (UHS-I) slots
USB 3.0
Built-in GPS
Larger-capacity LP-E6N battery
Shutter speeds up to 1/8000th seconds
Shutter rated to 200,000 cycles (vs 150,000 on 7D)
Intervalometer built in  (finally!!!)

by Markus Jais on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:46 am
Markus Jais
Lifetime Member
If the sensor had the dynamic range of a D4s and at least 2 stops better high ISO than the 70D it would be hard for Canon to keep up with producing that camera!
But I don't think the sensor will be much different from the 70D or the announcement would have mentioned that.

That said, high dynamic range is not that important for birds/mammals in most cases as it is for landscapes.
That does not mean that I don't want a Nikon D4s/D810 style sensor quality!

Markus

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:47 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Markus Jais wrote: That said, high dynamic range is not that important for birds/mammals in most cases as it is for landscapes.

Markus
Lots of birds have white and black wich is difficult to both have within the range of the sensor, especially in sunlight... ;)

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:53 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Canon Australia 7D2 video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSk2_-FRgpo

by Neilyb on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:11 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Propoganda.. that was quick.

Last edited by Neilyb on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:14 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Neilyb wrote:That was quick... which means Canon paid for the "review" ;)
Oh of course, you could tell by how he was talking that the whole thing was scripted ;)

by Neilyb on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:16 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Yes, i read the word "review" in the description... change my post to reflect.. :)

by Jamie Strickland on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:28 am
Jamie Strickland
Forum Contributor
Looks good on paper, i was hoping it was going to ship by the end of the month but i figured that wasn't going to happen :(

by Markus Jais on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:36 am
Markus Jais
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Markus Jais wrote: That said, high dynamic range is not that important for birds/mammals in most cases as it is for landscapes.

Markus
Lots of birds have white and black wich is difficult to both have within the range of the sensor, especially in sunlight... ;)
Of course true for species like Tufted Ducks or Pied Harriers but strong sunlight is rarely a good light :-)

But I agree that there are situations where more dynamic range would be better even for birds. I just don't miss it that often as with landscapes. 

Markus

by Neilyb on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:47 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Canons real weaknes is the shadows, Nikon users can pull back amazing amounts from almost black.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:49 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Markus Jais wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:

Markus
Of course true for species like Tufted Ducks or Pied Harriers but strong sunlight is rarely a good light :-)

But I agree that there are situations where more dynamic range would be better even for birds. I just don't miss it that often as with landscapes. 

Markus
Try Common Merganser (Gossander) ;)

Early morning sunlight is the best and even the Sony sensors are right on the edge of their dynamic range capability with those and a few other species.  Tufties are easy by comparison :D

by scorless on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:17 am
scorless
Forum Contributor
 Does anyone know much about what is being written on DPreview that some of the new auto focus features will not work with the older Canon lenses?
Sandy Corless

by rnclark on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:27 am
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
Gee guys, did you notice the statement in the announcement: "The EOS 7D Mark II has a newly designed 20.2 Megapixel sensor."

One thing to note (more basic physics): A lens delivers so many photons per square micron from a scene. Thus a smaller pixel with its smaller area collects fewer photons. But the smaller pixel will resolve more details.

We'll have to wait and see how good this new sensor is, and more importantly how good the downstream electronics are in the new camera. Downstream electronics after the sensor readout has been the real limitation of canon cameras at low iSO, not the sensor.

And I hope the new sensor does NOT include clipping of the signal at zero like nikon, nor filtering of the raw file, like nikon, or even worse, lossless filter of the raw file like Sony.

Roger

by Gary Irwin on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:39 am
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
Neilyb wrote:Canons real weaknes is the shadows, Nikon users can pull back amazing amounts from almost black.
So true. When I shot the 1D4 I had to really expose to the right to save the shadows, often blowing highlights. It was very difficult for me after being used to an EXMOR sensor.

That being said, the 7DII looks REALLY interesting....the reach, FPS and AF are sufficiently enticing that I might learn to live with the sensor, considering I can fall back to the "lousy" 1DX when needed.  :lol:

Add in Canon's supertele selection and superb TC's, and the fact that Nikon killed CNX2, my favourite post processing engine, means Canon is very likely going to play a big role in my photography future.
Gary Likes Nature.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:42 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
rnclark wrote:Gee guys, did you notice the statement in the announcement: "The EOS 7D Mark II has a newly designed 20.2 Megapixel sensor."
And I have ocean front property I'd like to sell you in Arizona ;) :mrgreen:

Every camera announcement ever, just about, has had that statement.  Rarely is it actually true.  Camera manufacturers take great liberties with the term "newly designed"  It can mean one tiny little mask change to change a revision number or a minor pad-out change, or any other minor things that have absolutely nothing to do with the image itself.

Nikon did the same thing with the D750 "newly designed 24.3 megapixel sensor" except it's really the same sensor as the D610...

506 posts |