« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 99 posts | 
by owlseye on Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:34 am
owlseye
Forum Contributor
I am curious about what others think about the influx of the new telephoto super zooms in terms of their suitability for the serious pursuit of wildlife subects. As most know, Tamron introduced a 150(?) -600mm VC lens w/ a maximum aperture of f/6.3 on the long end. It appears that Sigma is going to introduce and release a similar 150-600 Sport HSM model that looks to have a more robust build and weather sealing when compared to the Tamron.

Other than using a few Zeiss optics for my landscape work, I have been a brand "loyalist" when it comes to my telephotos. While I dabbled w/ the Tamron 300mm f2.8 LD in the early 90's and the Sigma 300mm f2.8 HSM through 2007, I have Depended on a canon 300mm f2.8IS since 2008. Combined w/ converters, this has allowed me to do quite a bit of decent wildlife work. Yet, the combination is large, heavy and unforgiving.

Unlike many here who have the resources to purchase the "big / fast" tele's, this is not in the cards for a guy (or gal... I assume) who lives on a teacher's salary & lenjoys  international-nature travel. Enter the point... For those uing the new Tamron &/or thinking about buying a similar lens, does it meet expectation? What are your thoughts about the upcoming Sigma? Is it a replacement for a 300 f2.8 w/ converters? To be completely frank, if I were a Nikon shooter, I don't think I'd care. A used 200-400 f4 VR hits my sweet spot w/ & w/out converter. The size is manageable and prices (while high) are attainable too. In the Canon world, the purchase of the equivilent lens would like end in a divorce given the crazy high price-tag. At this point, the spec's on the Sigma have piqued my interest.

Regards, bruce

by Neilyb on Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:57 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Maybe I misunderstood. The 300 2.8 IS is heavy but the 200-400 from Nikon would not be? Having used one of Canons sharpest and fastest focussing lenses you might be disappointed with anything from Tamron or Sigma that zooms to 600mm. I personally found the 150-500 DG OS quite sharp, stopped down to f8 but the focus speed and consistency was a let down. I am sure there are plenty of reviews about the Tamron but from the examples I have seen it would have been wise to cap the FL at 500mm as at 600 it is quite poor.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:54 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The Tamron 150-600 is a decent lens up to 400 - in the same neighborhood as the Canon 100-400. Above that it falls off fast and it is quite bad when you get out to 600mm. I have tested several samples and I would consider anything above 500mm as marketing focal lengths only, not for serious high resolution photography. The Sigma on paper is better and heavier but until we see actual samples we won't know. The other Sigma super zooms, the 150-500 and 50-500 aren't very good at the long end either.

Then there is the issue of them being f/6.3 at the long end. No zoom is at it's best wide open and with high resolution cameras like 24mp APS-C and 36mp full frame you are already starting to record diffraction at f/8 so that means getting the most out of the sensor/optics combo is a box that is shrinking to basically zero. If you shoot it open you are getting some pretty soft images from the lens and if you stop down too much you start losing resolution to diffraction. Now if your primary use is WEB or small prints, say 8x10 or smaller then these items become less of an issue but if you print larger, those lenses may not be your best choice.

by owlseye on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:46 pm
owlseye
Forum Contributor
@ NelleyB re: "Maybe I misunderstood. The 300 2.8 IS is heavy but the 200-400 from Nikon would not be?"
There is no doubt the the 200-400 f4 is heavy... heavier than a 300 f2.8, but it includes focal lengths from 200mm to 400mm. Seeing that I carry a 70-200mm lens, 1.4x converter and 2x converter into the field with my 300 f2.8, I am probably taking in more & heavy gear to get the same range. Add to the reality that I need to add a 1.4x converter to get to 400mm and thus degrade my final output w/ an "add on" lens, the 200-400mm lens seems like a fine option. If I then include the 1.4x converter and leave the 2x behind, I think I save a bit of mass. However, since I shoot Canon, this is simply a theoretical exercise rather than a potentially real one.

@NelleyB and E.J... You both discuss the loss of sharpness, and this is really what I was curious about. I do not want to give up the detail that I can extract from my current gear, I am simply wishing for the the flexibility that a high-end tele-zoom seems to offer. There is a ton of hype about the Tamron lens on other forum sites (FredMiranda, for example), but I tend to look here for gear analyses, as the work shared here rises to what I expect of myself. While I seldom produce the quality I see throughout NatureScapes, one can certainly strive to reach it and this little piece of the web seems to be where many very talented photographers reside.

I assumed that the extreme ends of the zoom range were the weakness of these optics and understand that f6.3 is not a lot of light. Yet, with the ability to shoot very detailed (and relatively noise free) images at iso 800-1600, f6.3 is not so unreasonable if the 600mm end of the lens was sharp. Currently, I am at f5.6 and 600mm with my 300 f2.8 + 2x,, and I need to stop down to f6.3-f8.0 to reduce the aberrations induced by the addition of the 2x converter. Furthermore, while the Canon 2x mark iii converter produces outstanding sharpness & very little CA when attached to my lens, the bokeh can be bit uneven and distracting.

I sincerely doubt that I would ditch my current tele lens for offerings from Sigma and Tamron (been there in the past... see initial post), but I am curious about these new lenses, as they seem to be the rage. Maybe they are just the "entry drug" into our addictive habit and a way to further democratize the pursuit of wildlife images by naturalist/photographers seeking a way to remember fleeting moments.

There might be a blog post hidden in the tea leaves here :D
cheers,
bruce

by dougc on Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:07 pm
dougc
Forum Contributor
Cheap and good rarely go together where glass is concerned. Lenses some people find adequate, acceptable, decent, etc., will rarely, if ever, please the serious nature photographer be he/she amateur or professional. Just my 2 cents worth.

by Mike in O on Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:26 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Price is not a good indicator of performance but "what the market will bear"...the $1000 drop in price for Canon super teles shows there is a lot fat buying OEM. I'll take EJ's comments about softening of the Tamron as definitive, but of course that doesn't mean its unusable. With the exception of over priced zooms from Canon (200/400) and Nikon (80/400), there really isn't much competition with the Tamron and upcoming Sigma.

by Neilyb on Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:40 pm
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Having been through a few OEM lenses (Sigma 300, 500, 150-500) I can honestly say 'You get what you pay for'. Paying 1000dollars for a 600mm lens is unlikely to cater for the pro's striving for pixel perfect sharpness. It is very likely adequate if all you want is top spot on 500px with a 1000pixel image and a saturation slider to 100%.

Unfortunately Canon only offer the 100-400 in a compact zoom option. High time they sorted out that weak link.

by Mike in O on Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:52 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Being as you are not an English speaker as a 1st language, OEM is original equipment manufacturer (Nikon Lens, Nikon body). Usually the lens is not at fault for pixel level imperfection, it more likely is a slew of environmental variables which cause the hypothetical imperfection of the image.

by dougc on Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:57 pm
dougc
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:Price is not a good indicator of performance but "what the market will bear"...the $1000 drop in price for Canon super teles shows there is a lot fat buying OEM.  I'll take EJ's comments about softening of the Tamron as definitive, but of course that doesn't mean its unusable.  With the exception of over priced zooms from Canon (200/400) and Nikon (80/400), there really isn't much competition with the Tamron and upcoming Sigma.
Of course there's no competition because Canon and Nikon know you will never have a supertele zoom that will meet professional standards. If you are happy with "usable" images, so be it. And yes, price is a good indicator simply because you cannot buy a super zoom lens that goes to 500 or 600mm that is anything but "adequate" at best. If the cheapies could produce images in the same league with the 500 and 600 f4's, why would anyone ever buy the $10K+ lenses?

by Mike in O on Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:09 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
dougc wrote:
Mike in O wrote:Price is not a good indicator of performance but "what the market will bear"...the $1000 drop in price for Canon super teles shows there is a lot fat buying OEM.  I'll take EJ's comments about softening of the Tamron as definitive, but of course that doesn't mean its unusable.  With the exception of over priced zooms from Canon (200/400) and Nikon (80/400), there really isn't much competition with the Tamron and upcoming Sigma.
Of course there's no competition because Canon and Nikon know you will never have a supertele zoom that will meet professional standards. If you are happy with "usable" images, so be it. And yes, price is a good indicator simply because you cannot buy a super zoom lens that goes to 500 or 600mm that is anything but "adequate" at best. If the cheapies could produce images in the same league with the 500 and 600 f4's, why would anyone ever buy the $10K+ lenses?
Because they have the money?  I have no ax to grind; I don't own any 3rd party telezooms.  My largest zoom is the OEM 70/400 f4--5.6.  My primes are 500 and 600 f4s and believe me, Sony is not the cheapest camera maker producing lenses.  I have seen great shots that are sharp with 3rd party tele lenses and modern software makes even soft photos look sharp.

by owlseye on Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:28 pm
owlseye
Forum Contributor
Quote dougc, "If the cheapies could produce images in the same league with the 500 and 600 f4's, why would anyone ever buy the $10K+ lenses?"

Actually, I think you pay the premium for the f/stop and the OEM label. For example, the 70-200 f2.8 IS vii (or VR vii) is about twice the price of the same VR/IS in the f4 optic. Shot at f5.6, the lenses are indistinguishable. The canon 400 f5.6 is is 1/7 the price of the 400 f2.8 IS ii. Shot at f/6.3, the lenses are indistinguishable. I think it is too simple to dismiss an optic because it is non-OEM. There are many discriminating photographers (pixel-peepers if you will) who have found that the Sigma Art series betters the OEM equivalents. There is a sweet spot between $2000 & $3000 that many enthusiasts would be willing to pay if the right lens was introduced into the market. Clearly, people will readily spend that type of money on a camera w/ high resolution or fast af (D8XX, A7r, 5D iii), it stands to reason that a very sharp super tele-zoom in that price range would garner quite a few sales as well.

I would love Canon / Nikon to introduce a competitive lens in this field, or have canon update their venerable 100-400L. I recently sold this lens and replaced it with the 400 f5.6L because I felt as if my zoom was not clean enough on my cropped body (7D). The 400 f5.6 is plenty sharp and light, but very inflexible (no IS and no zoom).
For now, my 300 f2.8IS and 400 f5.6L will be my wildlife lenses, but I definitely would think about a OEM or non-OEM tele-zoom if the lens was sharp & durable and the price was right.

bruce

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:53 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
All you gotta do is look at the Sigma 35mm and 50mm ART lenses. They are in the neighborhood of 50% of the price of the Nikon 35mm f/1.4 and 58mm f/1.4 and beat the pants off of those lenses... Similarly the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 easily beats the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 at half the price. So I wouldn't rule out the third party lenses completely but look at each one individually.

by Ed Erkes on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:30 pm
Ed Erkes
Forum Contributor
I tested my Tamron 150-600 against my Nikon 200-400 and Sigma 300-800 in a field test and a controlled resolution test. The Tamron at 600 was just as sharp as my Nikon 200-400 at 400.   Performance wise, the vibration compensation was quieter than my version 1 200-400 and AF seemed to perform just as well. I don't know a real good way to test AF performance other than to just shoot the two lenses side by side. I could not tell a difference between the two. I would expect the 200-400 to do better in lower light levels though, since it is an f4 lens. I posted the results of my test on my blog and referenced it in an earlier post. you can check it out here. http://erkesphoto.com/photography-technique/tamron-150-600-f5-0-6-3-lens-test-nikon-mount-2/

II am convinced that a photographer using good technique can produce images with the Tamron 150-600 that are indistinguishable from a Nikon or Canon prime telephoto. In my experience quantity and quality of light are often bigger factors in image sharpness than actual lens used.
Ed Erkes

by Neilyb on Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:56 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:Being as you are not an English speaker as a 1st language, OEM is original equipment manufacturer (Nikon Lens, Nikon body).  Usually the lens is not at fault for pixel level imperfection, it more likely is a slew of environmental variables which cause the hypothetical imperfection of the image.

Actually I am, it is my tablet that cannot type properly nor correct properly :p never got the hang of this keyboard.

The only non-OEM lenses I have are Tamron 28-75 and 24-70. Both are sharp but again focus is not at the same level of speed or consistency as Canon. Oh wait, I have a Zeiss but that does not focus at all :) 

by rnclark on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:57 am
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
Ed Erkes wrote:I tested my Tamron 150-600 against my Nikon 200-400 and Sigma 300-800 in a field test and a controlled resolution test. The Tamron at 600 was just as sharp as my Nikon 200-400 at 400.   Performance wise, the vibration compensation was quieter than my version 1 200-400 and AF seemed to perform just as well. I don't know a real good way to test AF performance other than to just shoot the two lenses side by side. I could not tell a difference between the two. I would expect the 200-400 to do better in lower light levels though, since it is an f4 lens. I posted the results of my test on my blog and referenced it in an earlier post. you can check it out here. http://erkesphoto.com/photography-technique/tamron-150-600-f5-0-6-3-lens-test-nikon-mount-2/

II am convinced that a photographer using good technique can produce images with the Tamron 150-600 that are indistinguishable from a Nikon or Canon prime telephoto. In my experience quantity and quality of light are often bigger factors in image sharpness than actual lens used.
First, I agree with EJ.  I have the Sigma 35 f/1.4 and it is an amazing lens and beats anything Canon.  I also have a Sigma 150-500  at it produces sharper images than my Canon 100-400 (but the IS can be a big factor).

Ed, I agree that light and subject are of the utmost importance in a photo.  I would rather have an image of a great subject in great light made with a soft lens in bad light.  But given the choice, I would much rather have a an image in great light made with a very sharp lens.
your statement "that a photographer using good technique can produce images with the Tamron 150-600 that are indistinguishable from a Nikon or Canon prime telephoto" is factually incorrect if the images on your testing are an indicator of telephoto zooms:
http://erkesphoto.com/photography-techn ... st-part-2/
When I look at those, especially the "Nikon 200-400 (TC14EII) at f5.6:  Group 1/Element 2" I just go yuk and would not touch that lens combo.

Compare your charts to Figure 8 here:
http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/tel ... rformance/
For an explanation of that figure, read the paragraph before and after the figure.  The 3 images in the figure were made with 3 different cameras using the same 500 mm f/4 L IS (version 1) canon lens, all at the same distance, and adding TCs to make the pixels on subject the same (this is called equalizing the Etendue).  Note the contrast and fine detail, even with a 2x TC (version 3) compared to your charts.  The primes are a huge step up from the zooms.
And Canon's version 2 supertelephotos are even better (I now have a version 2 300 f/2.8).

Canon's MTF chart on their 200-400 shows it is very good and a big step up from other zooms but definitely not as sharp as the canon supertelephotos.

Roger

by Primus on Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:31 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
I have learnt in life that cheap things end up being more expensive in the end for various reasons. It is true for white goods, furniture, electronics and camera equipment. Either they do not perform as expected, break down sooner or are a pain to use. There is a reason why good things cost more money.

That does not mean that ONLY super expensive stuff is ever good. There is a lot of individual variation too and that's the problem.

I too started with the Sigma lenses in 2002, slowly buying all, from the 15-30 to the 50-500. Over the years I ended up replacing them all with Canon lenses. Heck I even bought the Sigma DP-1 camera so I am not a rabid brand loyalist, just wanted the best IQ.

I used the excellent Canon 300 2.8 on many workshops over a two year period and found I had to put on the 1.4TC most of the time. It became a big, bulky unit and I needed a tripod with it, negating any advantage of it being 'lighter' than the other big lenses.

I too am intrigued by the Tamron, but I doubt it can perform better than the new Canon 200-400 or the 600MkII. Actually I would not mind paying the price of the 600 for the Tamron IF it would do an equally good job. It would be a perfect all round wild life lens.

BUT, that holy grail of wildlife photography (a supersharp,  superlight, superfast superzoom lens) has not been developed yet. I think the laws of physics do have some say in it. When they do come up with it, regardless of brand name or price, I would be the first in line to buy it.

Until then, for the ultimate in image quality we will have to labor with ungainly, heavy and expensive OEM lenses. IMHO that's the unfortunate truth.

Pradeep

by owlseye on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:13 am
owlseye
Forum Contributor
@ Primus,
It appears that we have both come to the same conclusion. When your compromise is a 300 f2.8 IS w/ converters, and you know that lenses like a 400 f2.8, 500 f4, and 600 f4 is the gold standard at the super-tele range, anything that does not better what you currently use is not worth the time or effort in ownership and application.

bruce

by Ed Erkes on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:36 am
Ed Erkes
Forum Contributor
rnclark wrote:
Ed Erkes wrote:I tested my Tamron 150-600 against my Nikon 200-400 and Sigma 300-800 in a field test and a controlled resolution test. The Tamron at 600 was just as sharp as my Nikon 200-400 at 400.   Performance wise, the vibration compensation was quieter than my version 1 200-400 and AF seemed to perform just as well. I don't know a real good way to test AF performance other than to just shoot the two lenses side by side. I could not tell a difference between the two. I would expect the 200-400 to do better in lower light levels though, since it is an f4 lens. I posted the results of my test on my blog and referenced it in an earlier post. you can check it out here. http://erkesphoto.com/photography-technique/tamron-150-600-f5-0-6-3-lens-test-nikon-mount-2/

Ed, I agree that light and subject are of the utmost importance in a photo.  I would rather have an image of a great subject in great light made with a soft lens in bad light.  But given the choice, I would much rather have a an image in great light made with a very sharp lens.
your statement "that a photographer using good technique can produce images with the Tamron 150-600 that are indistinguishable from a Nikon or Canon prime telephoto" is factually incorrect if the images on your testing are an indicator of telephoto zooms:
http://erkesphoto.com/photography-techn ... st-part-2/
When I look at those, especially the "Nikon 200-400 (TC14EII) at f5.6:  Group 1/Element 2" I just go yuk and would not touch that lens combo.

Compare your charts to Figure 8 here:
http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/tel ... rformance/
For an explanation of that figure, read the paragraph before and after the figure.  The 3 images in the figure were made with 3 different cameras using the same 500 mm f/4 L IS (version 1) canon lens, all at the same distance, and adding TCs to make the pixels on subject the same (this is called equalizing the Etendue).  Note the contrast and fine detail, even with a 2x TC (version 3) compared to your charts.  The primes are a huge step up from the zooms.
And Canon's version 2 supertelephotos are even better (I now have a version 2 300 f/2.8).

Canon's MTF chart on their 200-400 shows it is very good and a big step up from other zooms but definitely not as sharp as the canon supertelephotos.

Roger

Roger,

I can't make any determination of how the Tamron 150-600 would compare to the lens combinations in your test Because you did not use the Tamron in your lens test for a side by side comparison.  I also don't know what image magnification your fig 8 images are at. I was looking at resolution only in my test and magnified the view to 200%. I have found that differences in contrast can be compensated largely in post-processing, so I was only looking at resolution. For a better comparison of actual image quality in practical field use, look at the images and 100% crops from the field test of the same flycatcher at the same image magnification.
Now suppose you were going to shoot a variety of subjects over a month with the Tamron or Sigma 300-800, then  compare them to images taken with the 500mm prime. I will bet  that  a third person would not be able to reliably pick out the zoom images from the prime-- when you consider different subject matter (with differing levels of detail) at different image magnifications in differing light conditions.  I learned this for myself many years ago when I went back through my macro images and could not reliably pick images taken with a macro lens (the Nikon 55mm, 105 or 200) from those taken with a lens and 2-element diopter. AND I knew from lens chart testing that the macro lenses were sharper.

I now shoot only zooms because of the creative freedom they provide. But I tested my telephoto zooms when purchased against my Nikon prime manual focus telephotos (the 400 f3.5 and 600mm f4) and they were just as sharp or sharper.
So I stand by my statement that using good technique, a photographer can achieve images with the Tamron 150-600 that cannot be distinguished  (i.e. picked out from a collection of images ) from those taken with a prime lens.
 Ed
Ed Erkes

by Primus on Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:10 pm
Primus
Lifetime Member
owlseye wrote:@ Primus,
It appears that we have both come to the same conclusion. When your compromise is a 300 f2.8 IS w/ converters, and you know that lenses like a 400 f2.8, 500 f4, and 600 f4 is the gold standard at the super-tele range, anything that does not better what you currently use is not worth the time or effort in ownership and application.

bruce

Bruce, when you've tasted the quality of the 600MkII, it is very difficult to compromise and settle for the Tamron 150-600 even though it is much cheaper and lighter. I must confess I have not used that lens, but having read enough, it does not compare with the superteles, it is unfair to expect it to. 

That is always the problem in life. Once you raise your standards, it is difficult to lower them and almost impossible to maintain. 

Pradeep

by Primus on Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:21 pm
Primus
Lifetime Member
..................So I stand by my statement that using good technique, a photographer can achieve images with the Tamron 150-600 that cannot be distinguished  (i.e. picked out from a collection of images ) from those taken with a prime lens.
 Ed

Ed, I largely agree with you (beautiful images on your website BTW). It is the old argument about a compact P&S vs an expensive DSLR or MF camera. Michael Reichmann did this analysis many years ago, comparing his G10 with a Hassy. On average size viewing, at web resolution or 8X10 prints they may look the same. However, if you need to make a large print or crop out a section then the higher resolution makes a difference. 

The only lens that I've seen in action myself with a huge zoom range that is sharp is the new Nikon 80-400. It is entirely possible of course that your copy of the Tamron is super sharp. 

I am not sure all those buying the Canon 200-400 or the 600 at over ten times the price of the Tamron are all stupid, but I may be wrong after all. Maybe I should try the Tamron for myself.

Pradeep

99 posts |