« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Mike Milicia on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:49 pm
Mike Milicia
Forum Contributor
I just noticed that the outermost element that you see when you look into the recessed end that attaches to the body seems to be slightly loose.  If you shake the converter, you can hear a faint rattle.  I gently reached in and touched the element with a pec-pad covered finger and indeed there was a small amount of play in it.  I have never had any problems with the converter and images do not seem to be affected but it seemed odd to me.  Is this normal?
Mike Milicia
Online Classes | Workshops | Facebook

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:07 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
No, not normal and needs to be seated precisely in order to insure sharp images and no cross field sharpness issues. This requires a precision alignment of that element.  It needs to be repaired by Canon; nobody else can do this to the precision needed especially on something like a 2x - precision is everything in order to preserve the highest image quality.

by Mike Milicia on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:26 am
Mike Milicia
Forum Contributor
Thanks, EJ!

I haven't used it for a while since buying the 2xIII and never noticed this until I was getting ready to sell it ... off to Canon it goes.
Mike Milicia

by neverspook on Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:31 am
neverspook
Forum Contributor
I'd be interested to know if they really will repair it given that it is an older version and also given that I was told when I sent in my 1.4X to Canon Canada that they often don't bother repairing extenders but just replace them at a decent price. So let us know what happens.

Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com

by Jim Zipp on Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:55 am
Jim Zipp
Lifetime Member
Member #:00150
neverspook wrote: I was told when I sent in my 1.4X to Canon Canada that they often don't bother repairing extenders but just replace them at a decent price.

Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com
They used to repair them for a very reasonable fixed cost. I have had them repaired in the past.  Just a few weeks ago I sent in my 2X III after an "event" where small pieces of the mounting flange were damaged.  The converter to the eye is like out of the box.  CPS estimated $410 to repair.  I opted for a new one for the extra $35.
Jim Zipp
http://www.jimzippphotography.com

Last edited by Jim Zipp on Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:52 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Personally I also stopped repairing TC's and just keeping old broken ones for spare parts. The Nikon ones are very mechanical in nature unlike the Canon ones and what fails is the mechanical portions. I've never seen or heard the electronics failing or the optics having a problem on the Nikon ones. So with the spares off of old ones, sometimes you can fix them. With the cost of the actual repair being 75% of a new one, when I can't repair it, I buy a new one.

That said, I am without a functioning 1.4x at the moment and waiting for the new 1.4x III to be released in a week or two.

by neverspook on Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:27 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
Of course, replacing one requires re-microadjusting everything with the new one again. And, as E.J. well knows, there is nothing I hate more than microadjusting.

Their not repairing them at as reasonable a cost as they used to is just another instance of throwing things out and creating more waste. Environmentally, it makes way more sense to repair whenever possible and it is unfortunate they make is difficult to do that economically sometimes. Keeping them for parts at least is something helpful environmentally (and economically).

Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com

by Mike Milicia on Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:14 pm
Mike Milicia
Forum Contributor
Update :

I sent my 2xII into CPS and was quoted a standard out of warranty labor charge of $79.00 for the repair.
Platinum membership gives 30% discount and free shipping so total cost to me will be $55.30.
Mike Milicia

by neverspook on Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:54 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
Thanks, Mike. Sounds like a good deal.

Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com

9 posts |