Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by amullis on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:23 pm
amullis
Forum Contributor
Three years ago, I bought the Think Tank Airport Security V2 rolling bag because it was advertised as meeting domestic airline carry on requirements. I have traveled to three photography workshops with it and never gave size and weight of my bag another thought, until recently. I have been reading stories lately about traveling photographers getting the "third degree" when carrying their gear on board domestic aircraft. Namely, having to prove their carry on camera bag met the airline/FAA size and weight requirements.

I am going to be flying out to Arizona from Florida in October for another workshop. I didn't want to get any last minute surprises (namely at 4:30am when I am trying to catch a 5:30am flight!). So, I took my Airport Security bag (empty) down to Tampa International Airport today and used one of Delta Airlines carry on baggage "Size Wise" checkers to make sure it was within carry on specs. I can report that the Think Tank Airport Security V 2 fits the Delta Airline "Size Wise" baggage checker............but just barely!  Again, my bag was empty for this check. If you over stuff the bag and make it any bigger than it is in a normal empty size, you are going to have problems!

I typically travel in First Class on Delta, so maybe they will not give me a bunch of grief over a slightly larger carry on bag. But, I am not going to push my luck either!

by Anthony Medici on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:38 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
Barely is what I'd expect a bag that is large but "meets carry on" to do in the size checkers. You should be aware that meeting the size checker doesn't mean it will fit in every overhead or under every seat. All the airlines have different configuration and I've seen many bags that officially meets the requirements end up gate checked. Of course, this mostly happens on regional jets and planes. The only bigger jet I've seen issues with was a 767. A full size carry on doesn't fit in the overheads of these and the bag will end up checked. You might want to verify the model of the planes you are taking to really be sure that it will fit in the overhead.

My main bag is only 19" x 16" x 9". It fits snuggly in the regional jet overheads as well as in the 767 overhead. It is tight in both cases. It never seems to attract a gate agent, which is fine with me. I've long since figured out that if I "stuff" a bag, it ends up larger than the stated dimensions.

I know of no domestic US carrier which has a true limit on weight for their carry on bags. Of course, you do need to be able to lift it into the overhead, which limits the bags weight depending on the person carrying it.
Tony

by amullis on Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:33 pm
amullis
Forum Contributor
Tony, I am flying on 757s all the way to Phoenix and back. I booked the trip to stay away from "regional jets", as I have flown them before (Salt Lake City to Idaho Falls for a Yellowstone trip) and had to gate check the Think Tank. Otherwise, I agree with your statements on over stuffing and weight considerations. I have had no problem putting the Airport Security in a 757 overhead in First Class. I usually travel with a laptop bag and it goes under the seat in front of me. All is good!

The nice thing about the Airport Security V2 is that it is a great bag that can be locked and gate checked if needed. I don't like the idea of gate checking a camera case, but you may have to do it once in a while.

by rnclark on Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:44 am
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
I just looked up the Airport Security V2 and it is: 12.0-14.0 lb (5.4-6.4 kg). Nice bag, but it would be a problem on flights in Europe, like when going to Africa, as it is quite heavy empty. The weight limits are pretty tight on most European airlines. We have to easy in the US.

Roger

by Wildflower-nut on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:09 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I've both the airport security and the airport international. I rarely use the airport security anymore as it is a tight fit even on some of the larger planes. I've added a plastic lexan sheet (home depot storm door replacement window) backed with some additional foam in the top pockets and opened the zippers and added them around the edges. every thing is packed tight. On small jets I check it plane side. On larger jets I don't do this as the bag goes into the regular cargo system. Only other suggestion is try and be one of the first to board. Having space available to put the bag these days is a bigger problem than will it fit. In general, I would think you would be ok flying first or business class on larger planes the regional jets it simply will not fit.

by Primus on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:17 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
I too have both the Security and the International. The former is too big in size and weight, the latter too heavy for its size. I now use mainly the Bataflae or more recently a simple rolly carry on that everyone else uses. As long as it is small enough nobody notices that it is carrying 35lbs of camera gear. You can pad it up nicely and put the lenses in lenscoat pouches. The only problem of course is that you cannot carry it on your back but that's true forthe Think Tank bags too.

Pradeep

by Wildflower-nut on Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:03 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I've done the regular rolling bag as well before moving to think tank.  Eventually, the moment of truth will come where you either check the bag or get off the airplane.  That has happened to me both in Denver and NY.  Talked my way through in NY was delayed 24hr in Denver.  In neither case did the gate agent care whether it fit in the templet (which it easily did), would go in the overhead, under a seat, how much it weighed or the value of the equipment inside.  In one case, the overheads were full and in the other the gate was run by British air and they were nixing any roll-on.  That is why I've beefed up the protection on my international.  The backpack style like the bataflae is lighter and probably less subject to this arbitrary rejection.  A lot of people use it on their back and with a luggage dolly. I still go with the international because with everything in neoprene bags and tightly packed in my armored international I feel reasonably comfortable checking as outlined earlier.  I would not a bataflae (which I also have).  The key is to get there early and be in the first groups to board.  Didn't help in NY but that's the idea.

Last edited by Wildflower-nut on Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

by amullis on Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:55 pm
amullis
Forum Contributor
rnclark wrote:I just looked up the Airport Security V2 and it is: 12.0-14.0 lb (5.4-6.4 kg).  Nice bag, but it would be a problem on flights in Europe, like when going to Africa, as it is quite heavy empty.  The weight limits are pretty tight on most European airlines.  We have to easy in the US.

Roger

Roger, they make another bag just for international travel...."Airport International"

by rnclark on Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:05 am
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
amullis wrote:
rnclark wrote:I just looked up the Airport Security V2 and it is: 12.0-14.0 lb (5.4-6.4 kg).  Nice bag, but it would be a problem on flights in Europe, like when going to Africa, as it is quite heavy empty.  The weight limits are pretty tight on most European airlines.  We have to easy in the US.

Roger

Roger, they make another bag just for international travel...."Airport International"
The airport international is not much lighter at 9.5-11.5 lb

The Gura Gear bataefly 32L is only 5.3 pounds

by Ed1946 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:15 am
Ed1946
Forum Contributor
Just got back to Houston, Texas from a photo trip to Tanzania. Flight was booked thru Delta but the actual ticket was KLM round trip. Leaving Houston, the KLM/Air France agent checked my carryon weight (12kg/26 pounds limit) for both camera bag AND laptop bag (e.g. combined weight. It stated in their online policy description). Lucky my checked bag had not been taken so I could move things around and I did stuff a couple of lens in my photo vest that I was wearing to get under the limit. Another party of our group went to a different KLM agent not the KLM/Air France agent I met. They were not checked. The check-in counter had both agent as KLM and Air France are partner airlines. Flew to Schipol then on the Arusha. No checks on the trip there and back. So my recent experience tells m : 1- check airlines restrictions before leaving and weigh things out before leaving home ( I have one of those digital scales now that I also take along), 2- be prepared to move your gear around and be selective to what you put in a checked bag, 3- don't let your checked bag get taken until ALL is sorted out, and 4- try to allow extra time. Also at Schipol our electronics were not asked to be turned on before the return flight to the US I use a Bataefly 32L and with three Nikon lens (200-400), (80-400) and a (24-70 F/2.8) that was a lot of glass weight. One bag may save some weight over another but if your carrying serious gear/lens the difference will not likely make that much difference in hassle factor if an agent is going to check ALL your carry-ons.

Security at airports vary and agents seem to vary so each trip is going to be "interesting and not predictable". It's interesting that I lost 15 pounds body weight in the last year but that it didn't matter - I was 10 pounds over on my carry-ons. I didn't want to start a discussion on that point with an agent at the beginning of the trip 'cause she was bigger than me and I wanted to get on the plane.

10 posts |