Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Larry Shuman on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:00 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
On Sept 9, 2013 I sent my D600 to nikon to clean up the sensor since there were 21 spots on the sensor.
They charged me $55.30 to replace the shutter mechanism, clean the camera, update firmware and clean
the low pass filter.
Today I received a refund of $55.30 Since I sent it in before the "Technical Service Advirsory" came out.
They told me " Before this Advisory was announced, however, you paid Nikon for this service related to this issue
and we feel that it's appropiate to reimburse you for the charges."
This is why folks should stay with one camera company. I went to Nikon in 1973. My old manual system was 5 cameras
and lenes fron 16mm to 600mm. They let me have 3 weeks on a NPS loaner in 1996. I have received 2 free cameras, was not
charged for a loaner repair. There advanges for staying with one company whether its Nikon, Cannon , Sony and all the others.

Larry Shuman

by Robert on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:56 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
I'm real glad to hear that Larry. I was also pleased to hear that Nikon was replacing D600's with a new D600 (with the new shutter design) or a D610 if a few repairs had not resolved the shutter oil issue. Companies that take care of their customers create more long term business for themselves than ones that just put off or ignore fixing problems. Nikon should have been quicker with these corrective actions but in the end did start taking care of the customers - us, in the way we deserve. We all know that no company is perfect, but the ones that are accountable will maintain credibility with the public. There is an old adage "Don't worry about the customers/clients that you don't have, just take care of the ones that you do have."

Robert

Last edited by Robert on Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:40 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I think Nikon finally realizes they ahve a lot of consumer confidence to rebuild so this is a good step.

by Baywing on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:29 am
Baywing
Forum Contributor
While I agree that Nikon is now doing the right thing, it still bothers me that they were so secretive right up until the threat of a class-action lawsuit. If it wasn't for that suit, I suspect they would still be in denial. I understand it is a cultural thing, but they don't seem to realize that when you expand outside of the home market, you should modify your thinking to get along in the different markets. I am waiting to see if Nikon has learned anything from this experience. They need to step it up, the last few releases (in FX) have been seeing too many products with serious problems hitting the market.
I agree with the OP, Nikon has, overall, treated me well. There have been times it took more push, times it took intervention by others on my behalf, but the end result has always been satisfactory at a minimum.
Photos at: http://www.pbase.com/baywing

by fredcor on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:25 am
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
I don't entirely believe it is a cultural thing.  Lets look at GM and the ignition switch; they knew about it in 2009 and waited until the crap hit the fan to acknowledge the problem after 13 people died; that is today and now.

W. Edwards Deming, in the 1950's, gave up on North American manufacturing and their management, so he went to Japan.  From his teachings, the Japanese improved enough to match and then even exceed US companies.  It wasn't long though, that the American philosophy of "ship it, we'll fix it if it comes back", has now filtered into Japanese manufacturing culture.  So it's not really culture, but the usual global bottom line influence!
Frederick Lat Correa

by Larry Shuman on Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:51 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I think it is still a management problem. I worked in engineering as a designer for more than 20 years. I've seen them try fast tracking
that failed and cost them $100,000 in back charges. This stupid idea flowed over to Japan and now they are trying it. Unless magagement
changes this will be a biggger problem for years comong.

6 posts |