Nikon announces development of D4S professional 'HD-SLR' 

And other compact cameras.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:27 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Looks like Blck-shouldered Kite was right:

http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 7&t=240428

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:50 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
SantaFeJoe wrote:Looks like Blck-shouldered Kite was right:

Joe

Not sure how that conclusion was reached ;)  It isn't Jan 17 yet nor has Nikon launched the D4x or D400 - D4x being a high megapixel D4 body and D400 being a pro grade DX - neither has been launched, hinted, or even ever been acknowledged by Nikon.  The D4s will not be either of those, guaranteed!

by Neilyb on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:24 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Sounds like a re-hash of the D4, Canon call it "Firmware upgrade" :)

by Markus Jais on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:30 am
Markus Jais
Lifetime Member
Member #:01791
Neilyb wrote:Sounds like a re-hash of the D4, Canon call it "Firmware upgrade" :)
This firmware upgrade will cost you a few thousand Euros :-)

Maybe some of the hardware is new for the image processing and AF. 

They have done a similar upgrade with the D3s for the D3 and many people liked and bought one so this may make sense if enough people buy it.

Markus

by DChan on Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:05 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
Markus Jais wrote:
Neilyb wrote:Sounds like a re-hash of the D4, Canon call it "Firmware upgrade" :)
This firmware upgrade will cost you a few thousand Euros :-)

Maybe some of the hardware is new for the image processing and AF. 

They have done a similar upgrade with the D3s for the D3 and many people liked and bought one so this may make sense if enough people buy it.

Markus
I think this's pretty much what the D4s would do to the D4. Nikon needs to improve the AF to compete with the 1Dx (even the Photoshop Guy Scott Kelby has also switched to 1Dx for sport photography).

by chuckkl on Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:48 am
chuckkl
Forum Contributor
I cannot understand Nikon !!!

I have gone through D100...D200...D300 and now using D300s...... a real dream body for my bird photography....which is 95% of my work.
I shoot with the 300mm f2.8 VR + teleconverters.

Nikon.....Nikon..... why not a new sensor for low light , high ISO work ??.....There are many, many thousands of shooters , out there...simply asking for a more modern sensor !

Personally, I'm tired of going out on a cloudy morning at ISO 400...the highest I like using......and find that at f4, I'm shooting at well under 1/200 second......totally useless for moving little birds........ok......maybe for a sleepy perched owl. ( Also...mostly, ...I prefer to not use my flash and Better Beamer ! )

Come guys !...a new crop sensor body !!

Chuck Kling

www.pbase.com/hootpix

by Baywing on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:20 am
Baywing
Forum Contributor
Thom's on a rant again: http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/thi ... -plea.html
Not saying he's wrong, just sayin'
Photos at: http://www.pbase.com/baywing

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:26 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Baywing wrote:Thom's on a rant again:  http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/thi ... -plea.html
Not saying he's wrong, just sayin'
His description of Nikon vs ASML for photolithography steppers is dead on!  I was there and witnessed exactly what he is talking about and the company I worked for went from a Nikon house with almost $1 billion dollars of buys per year from Nikon to ASML.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:27 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:Looks like Blck-shouldered Kite was right:

Joe

Not sure how that conclusion was reached ;)  It isn't Jan 17 yet nor has Nikon launched the D4x or D400 - D4x being a high megapixel D4 body and D400 being a pro grade DX - neither has been launched, hinted, or even ever been acknowledged by Nikon.  The D4s will not be either of those, guaranteed!
Hey, thanks Joe! :D  BTW....Have not gone back to NM yet......but I'm acummin" !  I love New Mexico!  And I will want you to show me a thing or two.  Probably more specifically, some rattlesnakes maybe this time around :)  Or at least where to find the right habitat where people have not taken all the snakes or killed them off.  I don't want to handle them or get too near.....already learned my lesson on that one.  That's one of the things my 300 is for Joe :P  

Actually E.J.:
I simply bumped into the announcement out of Dubai; was excited about it and was simply hoping one of us could add something that he or she might have heard. Yes, their announcement was off on the two models but I thought it was clear that they were speculating on which models.  As far as the date goes, what's few days?  Hey, I just thought of something.......is there something else coming on the 17th? :shock:  Just kidding E.J.  But it turns out that that camera club was right I think.     

And at that time, I figured that most of us would suspect it would be a D4S because Nikon had taken the D4 off the shelf.   Oh well.   Now, as for that D4_ _ goes, I refuse to believe that Nikon is not bringing out a full-magnesium-bodied D4_ _ in the future (can't mention the model number here :) ).  In fact, I know that they are going to do it.    That is just the way Nikon is.   They are perfectionists......Nikon Rocks!  So what's holding it up? How should I know?.....but keep the faith folks.... cause it's coming down the road!...........:D   It's announcement is going to be "one for the ages".  Remember, the D300 was Pop Photogs Camera of the Year.  When it is announced, I promise I'll go easy on the doubters. :lol:   

Robert
Let's All Have a Great 2014 Folks! 

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:23 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
It's possible that something else is coming as there is a more photo oriented show coming up but my skepticism on a D400 is at an all time high. I no longer think it's going to happen and hope I am dead wrong.

Wow you are much more positive on Nikon than I am - that's good. I think they have lost their way in many ways as has Canon on the still photo front. And Nikon's service and new product intro issues paint that as something far removed from perfectionists in my mind. Sony is using an uncoordinated shotgun approach and Panasonic/Olympus has gotten themselves into a dead end hole on the sensor. The only company that has a coherent product strategy these days seems to be Fuji and that's debatable and they seem to have no clue on how to actually make money with their offerings.

I think we have an industry in deep turmoil that totally missed what everyone saw coming, the decimation of the low end point and shoot market by the smart phone.

by penghai on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:38 am
penghai
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I think we have an industry in deep turmoil that totally missed what everyone saw coming, the decimation of the low end point and shoot market by the smart phone.

It's really amazing to see Nikon/Canon can ignore their customers for so long, charge their customers whatever they want, and still live well. I really wish there are new competitors from other countries, may be German, China.

by Neilyb on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:08 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
    That is just the way Nikon is.   They are perfectionists......Nikon Rocks!  
Won't mention the D600 dust spots which only got fixed with a new body, the D800 AF problem and of course the green tinted screens :mrgreen: Just playin'

EJ is right, I cannot actually understand the wave of new Powershots, I am very suprised we have not yet seen the likes of Blackberry, Nokia or Apple team up with either Canon or Nikon to produce a camera oriented phone with glass or sensor from one company or the other. It is like a complete blackout of the facts of life. I took Canon years to realize people wanted Wifi or GPS in their DSLR bodies, I do not doubt that they have missed the fact that people want a phone in their compacts too.

But at least they keep adding pixels to their sensors, after all that is what we want right? :|

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:36 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
penghai wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I think we have an industry in deep turmoil that totally missed what everyone saw coming, the decimation of the low end point and shoot market by the smart phone.

It's really amazing to see Nikon/Canon can ignore their customers for so long, charge their customers whatever they want, and still live well. I really wish there are new competitors from other countries, may be German, China.
I would love to see a German startup appear using Zeiss glass, now that would shake things up, and the Germans are very good engineers and designers so it should be possible. A shrinking market doesn't exactly entice newcomers though.
Personally, I fail to understand why anyone buys a point and shoot these days unless is is a high end model like the RX100 series from Sony. The camera phone has that market locked up IMO and the camera phones will only get better.

14 posts |