Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by John Guastella on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:47 am
John Guastella
Forum Contributor
There's been a lot of criticism of the 6D since Canon announced it a few days ago, and it appears that they have started a PR counter-offensive. Imaging Resource has just published an interview with one of their marketing execs, Mike Owen -- A behind-the-scenes look at developing the 6D:http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/20 ... -and-whats

One of the points that Owen makes is that Canon's goal with this camera was good AF performance in very low-light conditions, and that reducing the number of AF points was necessary in order to achieve this. I'd be interested in hearing comments on this claim from some of you who know more (than me) about the physics of imaging sensors (Arash?).

John

by ahazeghi on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:27 am
ahazeghi
Forum Contributor
Hi John,

As far as the AF sensor is concerned I don't believe MO's claims. There are plenty of cameras out there with 40+ AF sensors that have excellent low light AF including Canon's own 5D3 and flagship 1DX. So it is not necessary to reduce the number of sensors to 11 to get good low-light AF performance. He doesn't give any technical reference of how large the center cross sensor is.

The 6D falls short on many of its specs so I don't think photographers who require advanced AF will look at this body at first place. With the 5D3 prices dropping (some people bought new bodies for about $2800 on eBay) I don't really see a big market for this camera...

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:41 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
It seems more like a warmed over 5Dmark2 than anything.

3 posts |