Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 19 posts | 
by Bart40 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:47 pm
Bart40
Forum Contributor
A couple of weeks ago i saw a photographer who had a RRS replacmentfoot for his 500 and i thought he had it mounted on the Wimberley without any plate.
Now i saw this http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx? ... .6&key=cat for my 600mm f4.0 and i would like to buy this. I carry my gear into the Kibokobag (really good) but no space for my lenssupport and if this replacementfoot can be mounted on the Wimberley it will save me time.
But can it be mounted on the Wimberley without any plate?

by David Sime on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:04 pm
David Sime
Forum Contributor
Mine mounts to the RRS type release shoe without any additional plate. It attaches to the lens collar with four allen screws and remains on the lens.

by Alan Melle on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:18 pm
Alan Melle
Lifetime Member
Member #:00041
Yes, it can be mounted on the Wimberley without any additional plate.

So will this one sold by the Naturescapes store.
http://www.naturescapes.net/store/cp-61 ... -lens.html
Alan Melle
NSN0041

by Steve Cirone on Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:40 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
That is the elegance of the replacement feet. They are both the foot AND the plate. Looks nice, saves weight.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by Dave Courtenay on Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:57 pm
Dave Courtenay
Forum Contributor
Mine is from 4th Generation and an excellent bit if kit

Dave
http://www.wildlifeinfocus.com

A Brit-A Broad

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:47 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Before going the RRS route at least give the 4th Gen foot a look here in the store:
http://www.naturescapes.net/store/cp-61 ... -lens.html

by Rhett on Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:52 pm
Rhett
Lifetime Member
Member #:01389
I have used the 4th generation foot for years. It cuts off a good bit of weight.

by Vivek on Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:29 pm
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
The answer is yes, it will mount to the Wimberly or pretty much any gimbal which takes AS type plates without the plate. I _STRONGLY_ recommend 4th Gen designs like the folks above.

The biggest question is why would Canon / Nikon not make this standard. Are there many folks who use it without the plate? I don't think there are...
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

by Mike Gallo on Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:37 pm
Mike Gallo
Lifetime Member
Member #:00457
I had the 4th Gen foot on the 500 and did not like the extreme low profile..........I guess that we all have our preferences. For my use, I like something with a little more meat on it like the RRS or Kirk replacement foot. I think that Jobu has come out with a replacement foot for the 500 which is somewhere in size between 4th Gen and RRS/Kirk.
Just havin' fun

by TDeSanto on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:01 pm
TDeSanto
Forum Contributor
Vivek wrote:The answer is yes, it will mount to the Wimberly or pretty much any gimbal which takes AS type plates without the plate. I _STRONGLY_ recommend 4th Gen designs like the folks above.

The biggest question is why would Canon / Nikon not make this standard. Are there many folks who use it without the plate? I don't think there are...
I've been wondering that myself. The Wimberley plate is so elegant and simple.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:11 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Vivek wrote: The biggest question is why would Canon / Nikon not make this standard. Are there many folks who use it without the plate? I don't think there are...
Just about every sports photog on earth does not use a mounting plate and that's 85% of the market and the only reason those lenses are even produced. We nature photographers often forget that zero thought is given to our needs when making equipment like super telephotos.

by Bob Boner on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:44 am
Bob Boner
Lifetime Member
Member #:00059
Do any of these replacement feet allow easy handling of the lens by the foot? I did some beta testing for the Wimberley foot designed for the original Canon 600 f/4 (non IS) and found it hard to get a good grip on the lens foot for handling the lens. I have not tried any of the lens feet for the 600 f/4 IS lens, but would be interested if it left sufficient room between the foot and the lens body to securely handle the lens.
Bob Boner

by Craig Lipski on Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:04 am
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
I use the 4th Gen foot (from the NSN store, plug plug,) and it IS lower profile, but I can carry it by the foot (I'm a pretty big guy - 6'+ and 200+#), but I don't have huge fingers - even with a bulky glove I think it would be a tight fit.

by prairiewing on Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:44 pm
prairiewing
Lifetime Member
Member #:00208
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Vivek wrote: The biggest question is why would Canon / Nikon not make this standard. Are there many folks who use it without the plate? I don't think there are...
Just about every sports photog on earth does not use a mounting plate and that's 85% of the market and the only reason those lenses are even produced. We nature photographers often forget that zero thought is given to our needs when making equipment like super telephotos.
I have no idea about this but do you really think the 85 percent figure holds true for 500 and 600 mm lenses? Big cities might be different but out in the sticks I'd guess that nature photographers, professional and amateur, outnumber sports photographers by a significant margin.

Not arguing your point, just curious.
Pat Gerlach

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:45 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Yeah that is the published statistic by Canon. Granted that was about 4 or 5 years ago though...

by prairiewing on Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:58 pm
prairiewing
Lifetime Member
Member #:00208
Well I'm just an uninformed observer but it looks like the number of magazine and newspaper photographers might be static or shrinking while the number of nature photographers (professional and amateur) who are willing and able to shell out big bucks for super telephotos has been growing pretty fast.

It would be interesting to see what those statistics look like today and what they'll look like a few years from now.
Pat Gerlach

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
It's actually sports photographers that make up the largest chunk of the pie. That really hasn't shrunk that much, they are publishing more to web and electronic media but the amount of photographers at various sports events, if anything, has grown. Also with Olympics on an every two year schedule rather than the old every 4 year schedule, that helps too.

by Bart40 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:10 pm
Bart40
Forum Contributor
Craig Lipski wrote:I use the 4th Gen foot (from the NSN store, plug plug,) and it IS lower profile, but I can carry it by the foot (I'm a pretty big guy - 6'+ and 200+#), but I don't have huge fingers - even with a bulky glove I think it would be a tight fit.
It is possible to carry it by the replacement foot. I ordered it at RRS and it came fast. Because i carry my stuff in the Kibokobag and the 600 just fits in (like it should be) i was afraid the Wimberly plate would damage my bag so i took it off when i put the lens in the bag. Then when i wanted it to use it i screwed it back on. Not always handy so this replacmentfoot is much easier.

by mikeojohnson on Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:57 pm
mikeojohnson
Lifetime Member
Member #:00374
If weight is your major factor, the 4th gen foot is your choice. It is not comfortable (but possible) to carry the lens by the foot. I use this but the lens is mostly mounted to the tripod when I carry it.

If comfort is your major factor, the RRS foot is your choice. It stands taller and has a rounded surface for your hand.

If price is your factor, get a plate for the Canon foot.

Mike
"Photography intensifies the experience of life"
http://www.mojphoto.com

19 posts |