« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Methodical on Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:04 am
Methodical
Forum Contributor
Hey everyone.  I'm trying to get some feedback from those that may have used both gimbal heads.  I want to know why you chose one over the other.  So, if you don't mind, I'd like to hear from you.  Let it fly.  Tell all.

Thanks...Al

by Karl Egressy on Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:00 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
I had the Jobu Pro for a short time, still have and use Wimberley II.
I also have and use 4th Generation Gimbal head.
Jobu Pro is the firmest, smoothest and heaviest.
Wimberley II gives you firm support and it is the most versatile with all the accessories you can get.
4th Generation is the lightest by far but you have to use your best long lens shooting technics
as it won't give you as firm support as the aforementioned two.
With today's long lenses you don't really need as firm support as you needed in the past,
as they had improved image stabilization systems substantially.

by Doug Brown on Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:12 pm
Doug Brown
Forum Contributor
Member #:01836
I would also consider the Induro GBH2. Works like my Wimberley II but costs a bit less. It also weighs the same as the Wimberley and is compatible with the Wimberley flash arm.

by bradipock on Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:26 pm
bradipock
Forum Contributor
I, too, use the Induro version and am very pleased with it. They all seem a little floppy to me on the horizontal pan, but I can dial this one back just enough to give the resistance that I like. It's a very good and very solid buy at a little cheaper cost.

by Methodical on Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:30 pm
Methodical
Forum Contributor
Hey thanks everyone for chiming in. I appreciate it.

Al

by danator on Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:12 pm
danator
Forum Contributor
AL,

I lost my Wimberley II weeks ago and decided on Jobu Pro2 for a replacement so i brought one straight from their Canada store ..... got it but just sold it to a friend of mine couple days ago. 

The main reason i decided on getting another wimberley II is because the combo 9 flash bracket mount which i still have and it's simply the best. I would take that over any Gimbal systems in a heart beat. I was told that it would fit on the Jobu Pro 2 but unfortunately that's not the case. The vertical rail on the Jobu Pro2 is smaller than wimberley and that won't work on Wimberley combo 9 flash bracket. So i picked up another Wimberley II in used market and i just got it today, and i let the jobu 2 to a friend that don't use flash. 

On the Jobu Pro 2, the ball bearing is pretty sweet, you can spin it and it will go round and round, almost frictionless, as oppose to any gimbal heads. However, It's stocky, and the arm is big. If you used to carry the gimbal on the arm and you have big hand, you may not like it. 

Also, Jobu 2 top knob can be a distraction for users that use left hand to hold and press the  lens down over on top - which i been doing that for over a decade, that was i first dislike but i could deal with that... until i find out about the bracket.

Hope that helps. 
Daniel Lim
Bird and Macro Photography
www.danielslim.com

by Dizzy on Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:19 pm
Dizzy
Forum Contributor
Love the Induros'.....
National Geographic Society (Retired)

Arts N Images ---- Bird and Blooms Blog

"You don't take a photograph, you make it." Ansel Adams

by Methodical on Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:30 pm
Methodical
Forum Contributor
Thanks Daniel for the detailed account of your experience. Dizzy, I will check into the Induro. Do they have a variety of models or just one?

Thanks...Al

8 posts |