« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 680 posts | 
by rnclark on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:01 am
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
Karl Günter Wünsch wrote:
rnclark wrote:If there is a high contrast edge a little outside the AF rectangle, the AF system will still be detecting that signal.  If you have more than one AF point enabled, the system will lock onto the brightest high contrast object near any AF point.  For example, a bird flying at an angle toward you: the wings flapping may go through an AF sensitive zone.  Will the camera lock on to the eye, or the wingtip?
I would suggest you give the 7DII a chance to work it's magic and give it a spin in all focusing points enabled with iTR tracking enabled too. It may not quite get to the advertised 10 fps in that mode (Canon says you lose about 0.5 frames/second to the calculations necessary for the iTR) but it may well surprise you how well it does and how it avoids just that kind of mishap you described...
I have already tried this,  The 7D2 system is better than previous cameras in this regard (e.g. compared to 1DIV), but multiple points still cause AF lock on something different than what I want.  I will add, that it is impressively better, but still not perfect.  I am also impressed how it maintains focus, for example, when a bird flies behind a tree and one can barely see the bird through the branches.  but don't let off on the AF, as then when you engage AF again, it will lock on to the tree.

Also, the Canon stated color response is for face detection colors.  So given a white or black bird against a tan fall leaves+branches, the system seems to choose the tan.   The system will probably work better with a tan bird against green vegetation background. :wink:

Roger

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:44 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
rnclark wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Ah I missed that statement but suspected it from his review.  It doesn't explain multiple shots of a static subject taken in a burst where some are sharp and some are not though - I think that goes to the AI Servo hunting that others have commented on in this thread.
There are several factors in any phase detect AF system.  First is to remember that phase detect AF works on the out-of-focus light cone.  That means that the edges of sensitivity are soft.  It also means the sensitive area is larger than the AF rectangles one sees in the viewfinder.  When we are tracking a moving subject, or even hand holding on a static subject the AF area is moving around on the subject.  If there is a high contrast edge a little outside the AF rectangle, the AF system will still be detecting that signal.  If you have more than one AF point enabled, the system will lock onto the brightest high contrast object near any AF point.  For example, a bird flying at an angle toward you: the wings flapping may go through an AF sensitive zone.  Will the camera lock on to the eye, or the wingtip?  For this reason I first go out at night with a new camera and test the AF sensitive regions using a single bright light (distant street light) or the Moon high in a clear sky.  I see how far away from a single AF point I can get the camera to still achieve focus.  You'll be surprised how far it is.

Because the AF zone is large and fuzzy, and larger and fuzzier the faster the f/ratio, I pretty much use only one AF point with no expansion.  I have gotten more consistent results with a single AF point than any other mode.  This is the way I set up my 7D2.

Wandering of the AF point can even happen on a static subject with the camera on a tripod, especially a long telephoto.  Small vibrations move the field of view and if there is a bright high contrast edge near the edge of the AF sensitive zone, it can influence the AF position.  This is more of a problem if multiple AF points are enabled, even enabled as "assist" AF points.  The more AF points, the more the chance of a signal near the edge of an AF zone  that will change as small vibrations change the signals to the AF modules.

I have more info on how AF systems work and their fuzzy nature at http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/und ... autofocus/

And remember, microadjustment is a function of temperature.  The smaller pixels in the 7D2 will be more sensitive to temperature effects.  Thus, if you go out on a cold morning that then warms up, the microadjustment of big telephotos will change as the day warms up.

There is a saying in science: every precision instrument is a thermometer.  Digital cameras are precision instruments.

Roger
Yes I know all that ;)  My only point was that his lack of focus micro-adjustment on lenses does not explain his focus inconsistency.  I didn't have time to write out all of the things that can easily explain focus inconsistency but should have remarked that there are many things that can cause what he saw and that there are many things that can cause what some of those complaining about this issue noted in this thread.  It also happens with every camera of every brand that has an AI Servo/Continuous Focus mode.  Some are a bit more jumpy than others though which can also be attributed to a number of different things.

by Coreyhkh on Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:21 am
Coreyhkh
Forum Contributor
Having read a few articles on how AF works and how complicated it is, I am amazed the camera can focus at all at 10fps or in the case of the 1dx 12 fps.
-------------------------------------
http://www.coreyhayes.net

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:40 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Personally, for what I photograph, I have never found any of these zone/auto point switching and so on to work very well. They all seem to pick up the background unless it is featureless like a clear sky.

by John Guastella on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:04 pm
John Guastella
Forum Contributor
...unless it is featureless like a clear sky.
With my 7D (original model), the all-focus-points mode will even pick up a clear sky!  I have no idea what details the camera thinks it's "seeing" in a clear (completely cloudless) blue sky, but, because of this, I rarely use that mode.

John

by Lensmaster on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:56 pm
Lensmaster
Forum Contributor
Unfortunately camera's aren't perfect yet, I don't know why anyone would think they are .

Rob

by hillrg on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:16 pm
hillrg
Forum Contributor
As a follow-up to my experience of inconsistent focusing on static objects I had an opportunity to test a second body, which was much more consistent, and similar to other bodies I have used. I simply got a bad sample and it is going to be replaced when my vendor can get an exchange unit.
Regards
Rory

by Karl Günter Wünsch on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:49 pm
Karl Günter Wünsch
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:
Great review.  I forget exactly where the more powerful battery of the 1D X comes into play.  Only the initial drive of the lens?
Sorry I have to revise my initial response. I have been in communication with Chuck Westfall and he confirmed to me (while discussing the "Intelligent Macro Tracking" function) that the more powerful battery of the 1D X makes no difference when driving the newer supertelephoto lenses. It's a matter of the circuitry and controlling algorithm - and both of these have been implemented in the 7D Mark II which is why it can drive the new supertelephoto lenses twice as fast as other cameras except the 1D X (and possibly 1D IV) during during initial focus acquisition. The 5DIII can not do this according to him.
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:48 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Lensmaster wrote:Unfortunately camera's aren't perfect yet, I don't know why anyone would think they are .

Rob
Who said they were supposed to be? I'd just like to see them work as advertised. 

by Lensmaster on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:45 pm
Lensmaster
Forum Contributor
The manufactures tell us/insinuate they are but in the field we soon find out they all have limitations and they don't quite give us what we expect from reading the brochures/adverts.

by danator on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:54 pm
danator
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:Personally, for what I photograph, I have never found any of these zone/auto point switching and so on to work very well. They all seem to pick up the background unless it is featureless like a clear sky.
Agreed. ITR is not working for me on busy background / waved-pattern background water surface BIF. While the AF settings are still new to me, my first few BIF sessions produce less than 10% in focused shots. Turn it off and keep it old school with center point 4/9 points as day and night different. This camera is awesome once you get it worked for your subject - much better than Mark IV in AF - and the noise is just as good!

If you are fast in reaction, good at locating your birds in viewfinder. I don't see the need of gimmicky ITR.
Daniel Lim
Bird and Macro Photography
www.danielslim.com

by Coreyhkh on Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 pm
Coreyhkh
Forum Contributor
I turned off ITR I think it may be more optimized to work with people.

by John Guastella on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:12 pm
John Guastella
Forum Contributor
Who said they were supposed to be? I'd just like to see them work as advertised.
+1

Nothing in my comment about the 7D's all-focus-points mode implies that I expect cameras to be perfect.  But, as Scott points out, it's reasonable to expect that an advertised function works the way the manufacturer claims it does.

John

by OntPhoto on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:20 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Karl Günter Wünsch wrote:
I forget exactly where the more powerful battery of the 1D X comes into play.  Only the initial drive of the lens?
Only there for about the 1st second... See Chuck Westfall on the 7DII autofocus http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Comp ... rison.aspx

Appreciate the reminder.  I haven't really been out shooting much since I got the 7D MK2 close to a month ago.  I did some test shooting in the early days.  We've gotten some really crappy weather of late.  It's either overcast, raining or windy and the day comes to an end way too soon.  I work 5 days a week.  It starts to get dark around 4:30Pm or so.   

The major difference affecting AF performance between the 7D MK2 vs 5D MK3 and 1DX?
OK, so what makes the 1DX AF more accurate (according to that you tube video) than the 7D MK2?  Does it have to do with the following, "...have 5 high-precision dual cross-type AF points versus only 1 for the EOS 7D Mark II."? 

And this. "....the EOS-1D X and EOS 5D Mark III have a total of 20 high-precision off-center cross-type points for EF lenses with maximum apertures of f/4 or larger. The EOS 7D Mark II has NO AF points other than the center point that are equivalent in precision to these 20 points".  No wonder the 1DX performs better AF wise.  That's a big difference in my opinion.  Not surprising then that the 1DX costs so much more than the 7D MK2.  

When they were promoting the 7D MK2 and saying the camera has inherited the AF system of the 1DX, they did not say at the time what was left out or was different between the two cameras. Now we know. 

How important are these types of AF points in AF accuracy in confusing situations such as a group of hockey players moving together and sometimes in an unpredictable manner?  Maybe not as important for simpler scenes such as a bird in flight or an animal running?

I am not as familiar with these things as I have been using a Canon 40D for the past 6+ years.  But I am learning.  :-)

Last edited by OntPhoto on Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Coreyhkh on Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:47 pm
Coreyhkh
Forum Contributor
SO what AF settings are you guys using?

by OntPhoto on Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:23 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
The complete 7D MK2 review has been posted by the Digital Picture.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II.aspx

Compare the above detailed review about the 7D MK2 versus 7D and 70D image quality/noise versus the Ken Newcombe quick review someone posted a link to here awhile back where he (Ken) claims to see no difference in image quality/noise.

by Glenn NK on Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:34 am
Glenn NK
Lifetime Member
Member #:01120
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
Lensmaster wrote:Unfortunately camera's aren't perfect yet, I don't know why anyone would think they are .

Rob
True enough.  But the implication in all advertising is that perfection has been obtained.

Which reminds me of the current much over used expression - "perfect" - it's getting very tiresome.  If the next person at a store/counter says "perfect" again to some mundane object/action, I'm tempted to try strangulation.
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources.

by Neilyb on Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:19 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:The complete 7D MK2 review has been posted by the Digital Picture.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II.aspx

Compare the above detailed review about the 7D MK2 versus 7D and 70D image quality/noise versus the Ken Newcombe quick review someone posted a link to here awhile back where he (Ken) claims to see no difference in image quality/noise.
So between the 70D, 7D and 7DII nothing has really changed up to about ISo3200. At ISO 12800 the 7DII is much better than the old model but still I wouldn't use it. Maybe, as Roger says, it is a much better camera for very low light but I hardly shoot in the dark and never do Astro. I am still holding off buying one as much as I would like the crop, until I really need it maybe.

by rnclark on Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:36 am
rnclark
Lifetime Member
Member #:01978
Neilyb wrote:So between the 70D, 7D and 7DII nothing has really changed up to about ISo3200. At ISO 12800 the 7DII is much better than the old model but still I wouldn't use it. Maybe, as Roger says, it is a much better camera for very low light but I hardly shoot in the dark and never do Astro. I am still holding off buying one as much as I would like the crop, until I really need it maybe.
There is a huge difference between the 7D and 7D Mark II at the low intensity range at all ISOs.  The problem is Canon cameras at the low intensity range has been banding, especially at low ISOs.  The 7D Mark II is much better in this regard (probably similar to a Nikon D800 if the raw data were filtered and clipped similarly (median filter and clip about 85% of the low end)).  Compare Tables 2a and 2b for banding for the 7d2 and 7d1:

http://www.clarkvision.com/reviews/eval ... anon-7dii/

http://www.clarkvision.com/reviews/evaluation-canon-7d/

The 7D2 is a huge improvement.  This means you'll be able to lift the shadows much more with the 7D2 at ISOs 100 to 800 with minimal problems.  Use Table 2a for local effects, typical of a landscape or wildlife scene.  Use table 2b for large dark areas, like night city or night sky scenes.

Roger

by Neilyb on Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:21 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Hi Roger, yes I see all that but typically I end up shooting at ISO1600 or more. Like I say using a 1Dx with a TC fitted at ISO1600 might well mean I could shoot the 7DII at ISO800 and save the stop or so. I would of course still gain pixels with the 7DII option allowing for greater cropping/resizing. I would be unlikely to shoot anything but wildlife with this body, hence the greater need for the higher ISO's, especially in Europe.

680 posts |