Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 18 posts | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:24 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
1.  What exactly is refurbished photo equipment ?  What does it mean ?  

2.  Is a refurb returnable ?

3.  Could the equipment have been defective and then repaired before it is offered as a refurb ?

Robert King

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:02 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
1. It is usually an item that was returned and therefore could not be resold as new. The manufacturer then fixes anything that might be wrong with it and returns the item to "as new" condition and then sells it at a reduced cost with a reduced warranty.

2. It depends, read the fine print.

3. Yes.

by DOglesby on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:58 am
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
Would love others views on this but it seems that refurbs get "special attention" from the manufacturer and so could have a reduced chance of having problems.  Maybe that's a misplaced view.  I just know that I've bought several refurbs ranging from cameras to lenses and all have been stellar performers.
Cheers,
Doug

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:31 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I think it depends. If it was just a straight-up return and nothing was wrong with it, I don't think it got any special attention. If it was an infant mortality defective product then you are probably right. But you have no way of knowing it's past history when buying. I bought a refurb Nikon 50mm f/1.4 that wasn't too good. I replaced it with a new one after just a couple of shoots.

by Mike in O on Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:41 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Another use of refurb is for the manufacturer to move items without undercutting the retail market.  These items can be brand new.

by merlinator on Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:50 pm
merlinator
Forum Contributor
My D700 was a refurb and had no problems. Here in Canada this is what Nikon Canada wrote to me "Refurbished DSLR units come boxed with all accessories and a one year warranty from manufacturing defects."
I am considering buying a D7100 refurb to tide me over until the D400 or whatever comes out.<G>
Roy

by Tim Zurowski on Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:47 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Hey Roy, where can you find a D7100 refurb in Canada? How much do they go for?

by merlinator on Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:01 pm
merlinator
Forum Contributor
Tim Zurowski wrote:Hey Roy, where can you find a D7100 refurb in Canada? How much do they go for?
"We currently have D7100 cameras available for a cost of $874.96 plus $20 shipping and taxes. Refurbished DSLR units come boxed with all accessories and a one year warranty from manufacturing defects. You may place an order by contacting us at 1-877-534-9910

Tim, I thought I sent it in an email to you but I'll post it here in case others are interested.
Roy

by Anthony Medici on Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:06 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
In the US, refurbished items only come with a 90 day warranty. Since the coverage is so limited, I only consider purchasing refurbished cameras since the new ones only come with a 1 year warranty. For lenses in the US, I'd rather buy new since you get a 1 year + the 4 year extended warranty.
Tony

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:10 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Agree with Tony 100% especially on lenses. That 5 year warranty is worth the money savings.

by Tim Zurowski on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:34 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
merlinator wrote:"We currently have D7100 cameras available for a cost of $874.96 plus $20 shipping and taxes. Refurbished DSLR units come boxed with all accessories and a one year warranty from manufacturing defects. You may place an order by contacting us at 1-877-534-9910

Tim, I thought I sent it in an email to you but I'll post it here in case others are interested.
Thanks Roy, but who is the "We"? Is that Nikon Canada? Since a new D7100 is $979 with free shipping, I would probably opt to play the extra $80 and get a new one with a 2 year Canadian warranty.

I did get your email, but there wasn't anything in it about refurbished units. Maybe that one went astray for some reason.

by merlinator on Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:37 am
merlinator
Forum Contributor
Tim Zurowski wrote:
merlinator wrote:"We currently have D7100 cameras available for a cost of $874.96 plus $20 shipping and taxes. Refurbished DSLR units come boxed with all accessories and a one year warranty from manufacturing defects. You may place an order by contacting us at 1-877-534-9910

Thanks Roy, but who is the "We"? Is that Nikon Canada? Since a new D7100 is $979 with free shipping, I would probably opt to play the extra $80 and get a new one with a 2 year Canadian warranty.

I did get your email, but there wasn't anything in it about refurbished units. Maybe that one went astray for some reason.

Tim, the We is Nikon Canada.  Where can you get it for the price mentioned with free shipping?
Roy

by pleverington on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:45 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Just a thought--one might weigh the benefits of paying for the highest tier of canon preferred instead of worrying about extended warranties, new over refurb. Maybe a better place to put the money as it also pays for accidental damage and free shipping. No way to exactly have a total solution here but FWIW when I did have to use them canon repair lets just say went far and above what was expected of them. I think just being at the highest tier--I think platinum..... afforded a lot of perks not advertised.  

Paul

***I see they have changed the platinum service since I was sighned upfor it. It is now 300 dollars where I was paying 500 dollars before for a year. But at 500 the repair costs were 60% by canon but now at 300 dollars the rate is down to 30%. I'd much prefer the older business model with the 60% and pay the heftier yearly fee.
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

by Tim Zurowski on Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:11 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
merlinator wrote: Tim, the We is Nikon Canada.  Where can you get it for the price mentioned with free shipping?
At Aden Camera   http://www.adencamera.com/product-overv ... Category=6   It was $945 there until our dollar dropped a bit. I gave up trying to find a used body and just ordered one from them today. I would rather have the two year warranty for the extra $$.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:31 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Anthony Medici wrote:In the US, refurbished items only come with a 90 day warranty. Since the coverage is so limited, I only consider purchasing refurbished cameras since the new ones only come with a 1 year warranty. For lenses in the US, I'd rather buy new since you get a 1 year + the 4 year extended warranty.
That is just what I have been thinking.

Robert King 

by merlinator on Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:38 pm
merlinator
Forum Contributor
Tim Zurowski wrote:
merlinator wrote: Tim, the We is Nikon Canada.  Where can you get it for the price mentioned with free shipping?
At Aden Camera   http://www.adencamera.com/product-overv ... Category=6   It was $945 there until our dollar dropped a bit. I gave up trying to find a used body and just ordered one from them today. I would rather have the two year warranty for the extra $$.

Tim, London drugs will match any price on line.  Saves the worrying about shipping and you get it right away.
Roy

by Robert on Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:42 pm
Robert
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:
Anthony Medici wrote:In the US, refurbished items only come with a 90 day warranty. Since the coverage is so limited, I only consider purchasing refurbished cameras since the new ones only come with a 1 year warranty. For lenses in the US, I'd rather buy new since you get a 1 year + the 4 year extended warranty.
That is just what I have been thinking.

Robert King 

This is generally the way I think too. Except earlier this year I was looking for a used Nikon 300 f4 AFS lens and found one that was Nikon refurbished (AFS motor replaced) and sold through Allens Camera. The money saved made it worth it. In this type of situation I think refurbished can work. The lens looked new, required very little AF fine tune and is very sharp with and without a TC - so much so it has become my go to macro lens with extension tubes. Of course, if money was never an issue I would always just buy new.

by Tim Zurowski on Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:54 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
merlinator wrote: Tim, London drugs will match any price on line.  Saves the worrying about shipping and you get it right away.
Yes, but you pay 12% taxes buying within BC instead of only 5% GST when buying outside of BC, which is a savings of $70 in this case. I saved $560 not paying the PST when I bought my 500 VR from them. I am never in any hurry and can wait a few days. I have purchased all of my camera gear from Eddy at Aden Camera. :)

18 posts |