« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 32 posts | 
by CactusD on Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:08 am
CactusD
Forum Contributor
Location: Ideally, halfway up a Greek mountain, or in the northern British landscape; otherwise, Banbury, UK
For the entirety of my trips to Greece in 2012 and 2013, when shooting butterflies I always shot handheld with D3S and 200f4 with diffused SB600 for main light on a macro bracket. This allowed me to shoot, even with the polarizer, at ISO 400 to 800ish in full sun at 1/250. For me this was necessary, and with no massive disadvantages, because Greek butterflies tend to be active pretty much all the time. I have used this technique with the D800E also. If you have a macro lens with a lens foot you can attach a macro flash bracket to the lens foot while still being able to mount and dismount the whole lot to/from a tripod when you need to slow down e.g. for an orchid and don't require flash ((I use wimberley plates and flash bracket).

On the Novoflex rack, the smallest increments on the scale are 1mm, hence my comment about its ergonomics. The control nob for the rack is about 1.5cm diameter milled aluminium and is very solid and smooth, so yes, the smaller increments are doable also.

All of this gear adds weight, of course, but if you come across to macro from e.g. bird photography, you won't notice!
"The Sun is God."  J. M. W. Turner

Large Format Photography Website

by P.W.Post on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:07 pm
P.W.Post
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:You said a lot of things about the film days that I completely agree with. There would be a lot fewer photographers nowadays if each shot cost what it did back then. You would strive much harder to make each shot a good one and there was certainly not much "shotgunning" back then. Frame rate was not as critical as it is now with the guys who love to shoot bursts to see what they can capture at random (not that a burst can't capture what happens too fast for the eyes to see, but it is overused). You could not make up for a bad exposure or composition. It was either right on or junk! A photo editor nearly always required transparencies only, which were critical in exposure, compared to print film. Composition, exposure and hard focus were thought out much more then. There was also nothing like spreading out a new batch of slides on the light table and putting a loupe to them. Nothing in digital can compare to that!<br><br>One of the most prolific nature photographers and outdoor writers back then was Erwin Bauer. He was so prolific that I read he had to write under different pen names so that it didn't look like he wrote all the articles. Interestingly enough, in his book "Photographing Wild Texas", he wrote about the Bosque del Apache. He felt that it was important enough to include, even though it was not in Texas!<br><br>Regarding the focusing rails, I used a Vintec rail(     http://www.amazon.com/Vintec-2-Way-Macr ... d_sxp_f_pt  ) that moves in two axis. I adapted it to mount to an Arca Swiss mount on bottom and an Arca Swiss QR on top. One of the reasons to use it besides focus and composition is to be able to set the lens at maximum magnification and then move the lens to the proper focus point for that magnification. It is very precise in its' movements and locks down firmly. I don't do much macro work now, but it is one piece of equipment that I hold onto for someday when I want to do macro more.<br><br>Joe
<br><br>Yes, you're right.  I forgot the exposure thing.  There was not much room for error.   Here's one for you Joe:  You could not look at the results of any image…….until next week!:shock:  And that was at the earliest.  And depending on the subject, if you blew it, there was no correcting it with another shoot.   I remember shooting a gorgeous tree that was laden with super fluffy, lightweight snow…..right at day break and the snow was deep and temps were low.  I quickly hurried home to warmth on that Sunday morning. knowing that I got what I wanted.  I bracketed a lot.   After much contemplation, I decided that even though I had not exposed the entire roll……I wanted to see the beauty of those trees in that snow at sunrise, into the sun.   But alas, when I went to rewind the film, there was no tension at all. I was scared to open the back because i feared that I would ruin an entire roll  I was confused alright.  Finally, I got up the nerve to see what was inside.  You already know what happened.   The film tail was not securely fastened to the take up spool.  <br><br>I guess I would say that I felt so insecure at times.  But I felt elation when that one image I had locked into my mind FOR A WEEK, actually "popped off" the light table, after I frantically open the box and spread them out.   WOW!<br><br>Yes, I do remember Erwin Bauer's name.  And I remember seeing a featured article on him.  Did he and his wife not work together in the field a lot doing photography?  I think so.  <br><br>Yes, I just googled him.  Peggy is her name. 40 books for Erwin Joe!……40!  Outdoor Writers of America.  He was an old time pro alright.  So was Bill Thomas, probably not as well-known as Erwin, but authored the fascinating book, "How to Make $50,000 as a Nature Photojournalist."   His main theme was simply to re-write each of his articles, so that he could present them to multiple markets.  I loved the book and reread it repeatedly.  In fact, I liked it enough that I've kept it close to all these years.  It is now about 10 feet away.   <br><br>Here is a link on Bill, who is also now gone.   <br><br>http://www.kentuckyliving.com/article.a ... <br><br>In the end, his book did me now good.  My problem is that I could not deal with article editors.   I did ok with stock though.  Stock allowed me to remain detached and I did not know what was really happening with the agents and subagents.  I liked that.   No, I loved it.   When I saw "Gamma Liaison International" on the return address and looked at that unique check look in the envelope window……..it suddenly was all worth it!<br><br>But I still admire MOST OF ALL…...the one's who combine EXCELLENT nature writing with excellent images.  That is what I want.  I have to get going Joe.  Isn't it always later than we think?<br><br>Here is an Erwin Bauer link: <br><br>http://owaa.org/owaa-legends/erwin-baue ... <br>Thanks:) <br>Robert

by P.W.Post on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:24 pm
P.W.Post
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:You said a lot of things about the film days that I completely agree with. There would be a lot fewer photographers nowadays if each shot cost what it did back then. You would strive much harder to make each shot a good one and there was certainly not much "shotgunning" back then. Frame rate was not as critical as it is now with the guys who love to shoot bursts to see what they can capture at random (not that a burst can't capture what happens too fast for the eyes to see, but it is overused). You could not make up for a bad exposure or composition. It was either right on or junk! A photo editor nearly always required transparencies only, which were critical in exposure, compared to print film. Composition, exposure and hard focus were thought out much more then. There was also nothing like spreading out a new batch of slides on the light table and putting a loupe to them. Nothing in digital can compare to that!

One of the most prolific nature photographers and outdoor writers back then was Erwin Bauer. He was so prolific that I read he had to write under different pen names so that it didn't look like he wrote all the articles. Interestingly enough, in his book "Photographing Wild Texas", he wrote about the Bosque del Apache. He felt that it was important enough to include, even though it was not in Texas!

Regarding the focusing rails, I used a Vintec rail(     http://www.amazon.com/Vintec-2-Way-Macr ... d_sxp_f_pt  ) that moves in two axis. I adapted it to mount to an Arca Swiss mount on bottom and an Arca Swiss QR on top. One of the reasons to use it besides focus and composition is to be able to set the lens at maximum magnification and then move the lens to the proper focus point for that magnification. It is very precise in its' movements and locks down firmly. I don't do much macro work now, but it is one piece of equipment that I hold onto for someday when I want to do macro more.

Joe

Yes, you're right.  I forgot the exposure thing.  There was not much room for error.   Here's one for you Joe:  You could not look at the results of any image…….until next week!:shock:  And that was at the earliest.  And depending on the subject, if you blew it, there was no correcting it with another shoot.   I remember shooting a gorgeous tree that was laden with super fluffy, lightweight snow…..right at day break and the snow was deep and temps were low.  I quickly hurried home to warmth on that Sunday morning. knowing that I got what I wanted.  I bracketed a lot.   After much contemplation, I decided that even though I had not exposed the entire roll……I wanted to see the beauty of those trees in that snow at sunrise, into the sun.   But alas, when I went to rewind the film, there was no tension at all. I was scared to open the back because i feared that I would ruin an entire roll  I was confused alright.  Finally, I got up the nerve to see what was inside.  You already know what happened.   The film tail was not securely fastened to the take up spool.  

I guess I would say that I felt so insecure at times.  But I felt elation when that one image I had locked into my mind FOR A WEEK, actually "popped off" the light table, after I frantically open the box and spread them out.   WOW!

Yes, I do remember Erwin Bauer's name.  And I remember seeing a featured article on him.  Did he and his wife not work together in the field a lot doing photography?  I think so.  

Yes, I just googled him.  Peggy is her name. 40 books for Erwin Joe!……40!  Outdoor Writers of America.  He was an old time pro alright.  So was Bill Thomas, probably not as well-known as Erwin, but authored the fascinating book, "How to Make $50,000 as a Nature Photojournalist."   His main theme was simply to re-write each of his articles, so that he could present them to multiple markets.  I loved the book and reread it repeatedly.  In fact, I liked it enough that I've kept it close to all these years.  It is now about 10 feet away.   

Here is a link on Bill, who is also now gone.   

http://www.kentuckyliving.com/article.a ... issueid=57

In the end, his book did me now good.  My problem is that I could not deal with article editors.   I did ok with stock though.  Stock allowed me to remain detached and I did not know what was really happening with the agents and subagents.  I liked that.   No, I loved it.   When I saw "Gamma Liaison International" on the return address and looked at that unique check look in the envelope window……..it suddenly was all worth it!

But I still admire MOST OF ALL…...the one's who combine EXCELLENT nature writing with excellent images.  That is what I want.  I have to get going Joe.  Isn't it always later than we think?

Here is an Erwin Bauer link: 

http://owaa.org/owaa-legends/erwin-baue ... g-it-done/

Robert
I met Erwin and Peggy Bauer many years ago while photographing at Ding Darling NWR in Florida. Erwin was knee-deep in water photographing a Green Heron with a 200-400 mm Nikkor lens. Peggy was photographing from the dike. I had a interesting conversation with her. She told me that if I wanted to be a photographer I should marry a rich woman. When I pressed her on how to do this she couldn't offer me any further advice.

Peter

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:05 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Not good advice! Stay single and find a rich patron! I was single until I was 47. When I got married, the serious photography went out the door with bachelorhood. Now I have no time and little money. I miss those great photography excursions alone! Just don't tell my wife or I'll have plenty of time for photography and no money!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by stevebein on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:10 am
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137
I inherited a Novoflex bellows and a 110 short mount macro lens ( do not remember what brand, but probably one of the better ones. I took over a dental office of a man who was legendary in the field. That system was outstanding for intraoral film photos. The flash was never changed nor the exposure since the inverse square rule worked wonders and the closer you got, the longer the bellows was extended to automatically compensate. Thanks for reminding me of that great system. I wish I had it now for my digital uses.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

by Craig Browne on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:08 pm
Craig Browne
Forum Contributor
I just wanted to Thankyou Joel for that link. http://spiritgrooves.net/Photography.as ... IUyYp.dpuf

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:31 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Not good advice! Stay single and find a rich patron! I was single until I was 47. When I got married, the serious photography went out the door with bachelorhood. Now I have no time and little money. I miss those great photography excursions alone! Just don't tell my wife or I'll have plenty of time for photography and no money!

Joe
Just going over this rail thread and found your comment at the end:

LOL!  Ain't it the truth!

Seriously, I also do love those photography excursions…..alone.  The last solitude trip I took was the one I told you about…..back in 2010, to New Mexico….. Bosque and White Sands.   I thought I would be lonely.  Nope!   Nothing but good memories of it.

Hey Joe….I have a question.  Can you bring a dog or cat into Bosque?  I imagine not.  In the future, I am thinking about getting a female Maine Coon cat (just because they are generally smaller than the male) as a companion….with the leash and bicycle "suit"; i.e. the whole package.  

And, in the future, if I go to work part of the year for this agency I'm looking at, I can take it with me and just leave it in the hotel room during my work day.

I want one that I can walk with a leash and take with me on bicycle rides.  Why not?

But was wondering about NWR's and NP's.  Probably not huh?  I could also leave it in a 5th wheel when I am out shooting.  

What say you?  :)

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:56 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here's a link to info on pets on the refuge:

http://www.friendsofthebosque.org/aboutfaq.html

It's under #7.  By the way, there are already 40 sandhills as of 10/18.

http://www.friendsofthebosque.org/index.html

Also, NSNer Sandy Corless is the Festival Artist for 2014:

http://www.festivalofthecranes.com/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:57 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Here's a link to info on pets on the refuge:

http://www.friendsofthebosque.org/aboutfaq.html

It's under #7.  By the way, there are already 40 sandhills as of 10/18.

http://www.friendsofthebosque.org/index.html

Also, NSNer Sandy Corless is the Festival Artist for 2014:

http://www.festivalofthecranes.com/

Joe
Thanks for all that Joe.

I have also been very excited by the big woods in southwest NM.  Can you say anything about the Aldo Leopold Wilderness, Gila National Forest and Cibola NF….. or any of that woods in southwest NM ?

I just have to see that wilderness for a long visit.

Thanks

Robert

by Kim on Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:29 am
Kim
Forum Contributor
Robert I have not read all the posts in this thread but if you want to really get into macro photography again I would go straight to this product.

http://www.cognisys-inc.com/stackshot/stackshot.php

It works in well with the focus stacking you where trying to use a while back and will give you very fine control to a greater degree than a manual set of focusing rails.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:01 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Hey Robert, I really haven't been down there to explore much. I used to go to the ghost town of Mogollon on the edge of that area and always found it fascinating. There were the diminutive Coues whitetail deer and lots of turkeys, mule deer and elk in the area. Around Dugaway Canyon south of Glenwood and near San Francisco Hot Springs, I have seen the bighorn sheep alongside the road on two different occasions. Regarding the forest and wilderness areas, I really can't tell you much with the exception that they are very vast and many people get lost there. If anyone says that there are no wild areas left, they should go there. I once started down a dirt road into the area from the north that led to Snow Lake. I turned around when I found out it was 57 miles of travel before reaching any services and the road was pretty rugged. It is truly a vast area. Another interesting area in the SW corner (bootheel) of New Mexico is the road that goes south from I-10 to Animas and goes for 40 miles (lonely dirt road with no services) to Douglas, Arizona. It is desert, but as you get to one point, there is a seasonal stream with large oak trees. A true oasis in the desert. This is near Skeleton Canyon where Geronimo surrendered:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeleton_Canyon

Not forest, but an isolated area where you are unlikely any people. Sorry I can't be of any help on the areas you are inquiring about, but I really haven't been there, so I'm not truly familiar with them.

Joe

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:20 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Hey Robert, I really haven't been down there to explore much. I used to go to the ghost town of Mogollon on the edge of that area and always found it fascinating. There were the diminutive Coues whitetail deer and lots of turkeys, mule deer and elk in the area. Around Dugaway Canyon south of Glenwood and near San Francisco Hot Springs, I have seen the bighorn sheep alongside the road on two different occasions. Regarding the forest and wilderness areas, I really can't tell you much with the exception that they are very vast and many people get lost there. If anyone says that there are no wild areas left, they should go there. I once started down a dirt road into the area from the north that led to Snow Lake. I turned around when I found out it was 57 miles of travel before reaching any services and the road was pretty rugged. It is truly a vast area. Another interesting area in the SW corner (bootheel) of New Mexico is the road that goes south from I-10 to Animas and goes for 40 miles (lonely dirt road with no services) to Douglas, Arizona. It is desert, but as you get to one point, there is a seasonal stream with large oak trees. A true oasis in the desert. This is near Skeleton Canyon where Geronimo surrendered:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeleton_Canyon

Not forest, but an isolated area where you are unlikely any people. Sorry I can't be of any help on the areas you are inquiring about, but I really haven't been there, so I'm not truly familiar with them.

Joe
Hi Joe,

That is ok Joe.  I thought you probably had not been down there (just because it is so remote) but I was hoping you had.  

Its remoteness is one feature making it exciting.  Then there is the wildlife.

NM has old west history; it is full of wildlife, including an abundance of reptiles.  I have been fascinated with snakes since boyhood in Maine, when I spent much of my youth catching many garter, green and ring-necked snakes in the rock pile behind the house.  Can you imagine what NM is like to me regarding snakes!  The diversity is stunning and their are dangerous species too.  I was bitten by a cottonmouth in the Everglades. But I learned my lesson:  Do not fool with them.  I want to shoot the various rattlers at a safe distance, with a long lens.  

Caught a tarantula in the Valley of Fire when I was headed back from White Sands from my first NM exploring trip.  Was headed across that east/west highway that passes through it and I thought I spotted a tarantula right in the middle of the road as I went whizzing by.  I through it in reverse thinking…"Can that be what I think it was?"  I was going about 60 so it took a while to get back.  As I approached that black spot in the side mirror I could not believe my eyes.  It threw its front legs up, probably in a meek defensive move.  I got it up onto a piece of paper, carried it across to safety and began shooting a few shots.  I know, I probably could have handled it and not been bitten.  And usually I would do something like that.  But I could not bring myself to do it this time……..….I guess because I was alone.

The mountains ranges to the east and to the west, way off in distance are beautiful when I head south through the middle of the state.    Maine is so forested on the roads, that you only get glimpses of the mountains.  I love Maine in the non Winter months.  Hate Winter anymore.  I guess I should go to NM in the Winter next time.  Looking forward to going again.

32 posts |