All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 16 posts | 
by dbolt on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:45 pm
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
I've had a Tamron 150-600 on backorder with B&H for several months.  Now, I'm wondering if I should wait on the Sigma Sport version.  Does anyone have any thoughts on how these two lenses might compare?  I shoot general nature subjects with a Canon 5DM3.  
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

by Mike in O on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:50 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
I think the Tamron will be acceptable and the Sigma sport more than acceptable.

by Scott Fairbairn on Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:03 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I agree with Mike. I'd wait for some test reports on the Sigma before deciding. I suspect the Sport model will be better than the Tamron, as it should be coming in at a higher price.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
If it were me, I would cancel the Tamron order as it is pretty poor in the corners at long focal lengths on a full frame camera.  the Sigma Sport version on paper is much better and is designed for better corner sharpness (that's actually the main difference between the Contemporary and the Sport version)

Personally, having tested it, I find the Tamron unacceptable in the corners on a full frame camera above 500mm.  If you were using an APS-C camera then I would say it could be acceptable but not on a 5D3.

Here it is on a ISO 12233 chart stopped down to f/8:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... &APIComp=0

by aholman1351 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:58 pm
aholman1351
Forum Contributor
I was fortunate to receive the Tamron 150-600 today and did some testing that was more than satisfactory using a Canon 6d and low light waterfowl images. While there may be concern about the corners I do not see that as an issue using a super-telephoto as the corners are rarely in focus in most normal usage. I thought about the newly announced Sigma but the weight precludes any substantive field use. It is too bad that Canon has been so late in updating the 100-400mm but after this year I could not wait any longer.

by Coreyhkh on Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:52 pm
Coreyhkh
Forum Contributor
I think the sigma should be alot better, though it will cost more.
-------------------------------------
http://www.coreyhayes.net

by dbolt on Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:31 am
dbolt
Forum Contributor
Member #:00842
Thanks all for the info. I think I'll wait until Sigma releases more info or the lens. I'm in no hurry. I snapped off a few pics with a friend's Tamron and was neither impressed nor disappointed, but the test subject was far from desirable. I wonder why the Tamron has been backordered for months. Maybe a problem somewhere with the lens?
Douglas Bolt
Maryland, USA
http://dougboltphotography.com

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:21 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
dbolt wrote:Thanks all for the info.  I think I'll wait until Sigma releases more info or the lens.  I'm in no hurry.  I snapped off a few pics with a friend's Tamron and was neither impressed nor disappointed, but the test subject was far from desirable.  I wonder why the Tamron has been backordered for months.  Maybe a problem somewhere with the lens?
They already have released the MTF curves so I don't think you are going to get more information from Sigma before the lens ships. you may start to see some early reviews.  Beware of reviews that use subjective evaluation criteria because it's too easy to make a lens look one way or another.  Focus on ones that do actual testing using accepted scientific method like Imatest, DXO, ISO 12233, and optical bench testing if you want a true scientific and repeatable result.

by Neilyb on Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:23 pm
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sigmadeut ... 178227275/

Once again totally silly shots from a hardware company. Bearing in mind the sun and any shimmer it may cause, not to mention the ox pecker shot at f13, those look very good at 600mm.

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:10 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Neilyb wrote:https://www.flickr.com/photos/sigmadeut ... 178227275/

Once again totally silly shots from a hardware company. Bearing in mind the sun and any shimmer it may cause, not to mention the ox pecker shot at f13, those look very good at 600mm.

Seriously, why don't these manufacturers make sure proper images get released? I can't think of any exceptions at the moment, but every new camera/lens image I see seems to be crappy. Why do they not just pay a good photographer to go out and produce quality images for the consumer to see? 

by Neilyb on Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:24 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
It is a mystery is it not. I would happily allow them to send me one ;)

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:02 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
sample images of the sigma.
http://www.lenstip.com/2106-news-Sigma_ ... mages.html

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:31 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I wish they would test it on a high pixel count camera. The 5D Mark III simply does not stress a lens these days. Virtually all APS-C sensors are higher pixel density and the 22mp of the 5D3 is just not a real test anymore by today's standards even on full frame since the competition has 63% more pixels. Any third party lens that isn't tested for full frame on a 36 megapixel sensor today simply doesn't tell you the whole picture because at some point, even Canon is going to have high resolution sensors. I feel that all on camera tests resolution and sharpness tests done right now should be done on a D810 using MLU and Electronic shutter to use the highest rez sensor currently available and eliminate shutter and mirror shake from the equation.

by Mike in O on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:00 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
I agree with you to a certain point EJ, but the reality is that most photographers are Canon shooters and never had to worry about stressing lenses. If and when Sony puts out a mega sensor and doesn't share it, will that make all 36 mpix tests worthless, I don't think so. We are coming to the point of diminishing returns and am sure the new Tamron and Sigma lenses will be adequate for most field work.

by Primus on Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:24 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
I got my Tamron this week. Checking it on the 1DX it is sharp up to 400 and then gets a bit soft (wide open). However, It is a good option to consider at present because of the cost and the weight. If the Sigma is indeed better and not overly bulky to use, I may just sell the Tamron. It is a much better strategy than hanging on to my 600 or buying a new 200-400.

and who knows, Canon may even surprise all of us by launching an updated 100-400 or something similar. If that is as good as the Nikon 80-400 that's all I would need.

A 100-400 that goes from f4 to 5.6 without a built-in 1.4x should not be as bulky as the 200-400. IF the quality is good, it will be a big seller

Pradeep

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:11 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Mike in O wrote:I agree with you to a certain point EJ, but the reality is that most photographers are Canon shooters and never had to worry about stressing lenses.  If and when Sony puts out a mega sensor and doesn't share it, will that make all 36 mpix tests worthless, I don't think so.  We are coming to the point of diminishing returns and am sure the new Tamron and Sigma lenses will be adequate for most field work.
But my point was that Canon too at some point will have cameras with higher resolution sensors so what's the point with tests on cameras that have just 22mp on a full frame camera when the rest of the industry has moved well beyond that.  It would be just as easy for testing organizations to use a D810 and that data would be valid on all brands and a heck of a lot more valuable to Canon shooters looking forward into the future.

Absolutely a resolution test done on a 22mp camera is not very meaningful on and camera with more that that.  Other tests like distortion would still be valid but nothing on the resolution front.

16 posts |