Red Harvester Ant

Posted by Gene Gwin on Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:03 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Photo taken at Laguna Seca Ranch in South Texas.
1/200 sec at f/11, ISO 800, Nikon D7100, 300mm f/2.8.
The Red Harvester Ant is the primary food source for the Texas Horned Lizard (Horny Toad).  Because of a lack of food source and loss of habitat, the Texas Horned Lizard's population is declining.

Posted by:
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor

by Tom Whelan on Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:33 pm
Tom Whelan
Member #:00293
Fine closeup with nice details - why is the ant population declining?
Tom

http://www.whelanphoto.com Portraits and Abstracts (web site)
http://tomwhelan.wordpress.com/ Nature Diary (blog)

by Gene Gwin on Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:02 pm
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Tom Whelan wrote:Fine closeup with nice details - why is the ant population declining?

Tom,
Unfortunately, when people see the mounds, they poison the ants.  This is turn has adverse ramifications not only to the ants.  Another very big problem is the fire ant epidemic.  Fire ants do not directly kill the Harvester.  Fire ants efficiently eat the same food as the Harvester, and eventually the Harvester Ants starve.  There seems to be more understanding, at least in South Texas, of the value of Harvester ants to the ecosystem and hopefully people throughout Texas will become more tolerant.   

by Matthew Pugh on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:46 am
Matthew Pugh
Member #:00345
Hi

An excellent up close shot and one that is much better than any I have manage to get of an ant

Sadly your story is a little too frequently told throughout the world nowadays, and I suspect most animals / plants species will crash and probably be extinct before I am dead. My little local patch seems devoid of life now, once when I got up in the morning my hedges would be covered in a jeweled network of spider webs, lucky to spot a single one now. I don't know what the answer is, tolerance would certainly be a good starting place

All the best
Matthew

by Gene Gwin on Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:10 am
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Matthew Pugh wrote:Hi

An excellent up close shot and one that is much better than any I have manage to get of an ant

Sadly your story is a little too frequently told throughout the world nowadays, and I suspect most animals / plants species will crash and probably be extinct before I am dead. My little local patch seems devoid of life now, once when I got up in the morning my hedges would be covered in a jeweled network of spider webs, lucky to spot a single one now. I don't know what the answer is, tolerance would certainly be a good starting place

All the best
Matthew

Matthew,
The story is sad but all too true.  I have control over 700 acres and everything is done to keep everything as natural as possible.  I am lucky that the property has not had any pesticides for probably over 50 years.  I provide a constant source of clean water, which is the key to promote wildlife beginning with our smallest partners. 

by stevenmajor on Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:07 am
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
Amazing view. Skillful DOF. Like everything about it.
Thanks

by Matthew Pugh on Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:13 am
Matthew Pugh
Member #:00345
Hi again

Glad to hear you are giving nature a good helping hand, over here it's just spray,spray, spray - with god knows what chemical cocktail. I kid you not our insect population has plummeted, from key note species to un-popular ones.

I give you a prime example of the stupidity in this country

I knew an areas where we had a beautiful colony of burnet moths - the Wildlife trust decided to manage the area because of these. So in their infinite wisdom they mowed down all the natural grasses during the moths summer breeding seasons. Result no more colony of moths - response from warden of said wildlife trust "we need more money to help preserve them"

Obviously the right answer

It just makes me annoyed - which is one reason I don't really go insect hunting anymore, I feel I am just not helping them out

All the best
Matthew

by Gene Gwin on Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:17 pm
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Matthew,
I've spent only a small amount of time in your country. I would have thought that with all the vegetation, that insects would be thriving. Sorry to hear about such short-sightedness. Insects are the basic building block that is essential for larger animals to thrive, and maybe even survive. I do very little insect photography. But when I do, typically it takes less than a minute to find a subject. If you're ever in South Texas, USA - let me know and I'll show you around Laguna Seca Ranch.
Gene.

8 posts |