Water Lily Glow

Posted by Roman Kurywczak on Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:57 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
Spent a lot of time this summer comparing the Sigma ring flash to my Canon twin lights and I must say I was quite impressed with the performance.  Given that they are less than half price of both N and C flashes....as viable alternative.  This was in full sun as I like playing with flash output to get different looks.  Sigma 150mm macro at f/22 for 1/160 sec. and ISO 250 HH and the flash at +3.  While the flash performed very well, I did find the throw distance wasn't quite as far as the twin lites.

Posted by:
Roman Kurywczak
Lifetime Member
Member #:01353

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:55 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Beautiful! Looks like it is floating in mid-air. Very painterly.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Jerry_Jelinek on Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:29 pm
Jerry_Jelinek
Forum Contributor
Really outstanding. Hard to believe that you could control the light on a sunny day, but the evidence is right here. Great job of handling the light with the flash dominating the flower and letter the BG go to black. Thanks for sharing this aublime beauty.
--------------
Jerry Jelinek

http://jerryjelinek.smugmug.com/
Follow my photography efforts on my blog: http://jerryjelinekphotography.blogspot.com/

by Roman Kurywczak on Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:03 pm
Roman Kurywczak
Lifetime Member
Member #:01353
Thanks guys....forgot to mention that this was at Longwood Gardens and the dye the water black to keep algae down. As for the flash...if you change your thought process and just think of the sun as just another light source.....I just severely underexposed for the sunlight....in essence making it fill light/highlight and used the flash as main light source.

by Tom Whelan on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:08 pm
Tom Whelan
Member #:00293
Pretty - fine exposure of the flower and nice fill for the foliage areas.
Tom

http://www.whelanphoto.com Portraits and Abstracts (web site)
http://tomwhelan.wordpress.com/ Nature Diary (blog)

by PaiR on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:09 pm
PaiR
Forum Contributor
Great take on a very fresh waterlily. The slight angle to the Lily makes the composition excellent. Thanks for the additional notes on the flash usage.
Ram
A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into~Ansel Adams

by wtracyparnell on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:23 pm
wtracyparnell
Forum Contributor
Wonderful shot, great that you were able to control the lighting as you did.
W. Tracy Parnell
Comments on my images are greatly appreciated!

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:01 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Roman Kurywczak wrote:Thanks guys....forgot to mention that this was at Longwood Gardens and they dye the water black to keep algae down.
I have always used a chemical that is safe for birds and animals to keep algae down. The black dye may be a great idea for me to try. I'm sure it is safer than the chemical treatment. It sure would hide the pots I plant my lilies in when photographing them and I like the effect you captured.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Matthew Pugh on Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:07 am
Matthew Pugh
Member #:00345
Hi

A lovely image and good to see someone playing and using flash effectively - I always enjoyed playing around with wireless set-ups and ratio's to see what sort of effects could be obtained, and it is quite surprising what little power you really need for small subjects. But then when the subjects small any light source is large (LOL)

Thanks for sharing
Matthew

by swanuck on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:54 am
swanuck
Forum Contributor
Like it esp lower leaf curl

10 posts |